Domestic Terrorists

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MtnBiker, Nov 14, 2003.

1. tybalt

tybalt Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Does the willful destruction of property qualify as terrorism, or does it also need to have some political message behind it to be a terrorist act? If there is a distinction between vandalism and politically motivated vandalism, is it not the motive that makes the latter more heinous?

For example, is there a distinction between rioters (as terrorists or non-terrorists) who destroy property because:
    a.) they oppose US involvement in Iraq
    b.) they are voicing their discontent of a local drinking ordinance
    c.) they are celebrating their sports team's victory?

Who is a terrorist?
    a.) the kid on our block who spraypaints graffiti on buildings?
    b.) the kid who spraypaints racial slurs on the sidewalks?
    c.) the kid who egged my house three nights in a row after I caught him spraypainting our neighborhood?
    d.) me, for telling that kid I would call the police if I ever saw him with a spraypaint can?
    e.) me, for filing a lawsuit against the kid's parents after I caught him egging my house?
    f.) My neighbor for threatening me with a knife unless I dropped the lawsuit?

What about the company that files frivolous lawsuit after frivolous lawsuit against another company unless they accept a low buyout offer?

In fact, isn't the term "terrorist" just a term used to describe a person or organization that we disagree with?

2. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +248
    No, you disagree with someone over who has a better football team.

You prosecute those who firebomb/vandalize/kill to incite fear while furthering their personal agendas.

3. tybalt

tybalt Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Are ELF activists really responsible for this well-publicized vandalism?

It is not unusual for businesses to stage “fires” to collect insurance. There are strong indications that the arson at Two Elks lodge in Vail a few years ago (which was attributed to ELF) was perpetrated by Vail interests. The fire:
    a.) put the environmentalists on the defensive, as they were filing complaints with the US Forest Service that Vail was violating key environmental laws
    b.) increased popular support for Vail at a time in which Vail was seeking a controversial expansion project
    c.) provided Vail with a huge insurance windfall that helped them build a bigger lodge.

However, it seems to me that “Conservative” interests could be behind the recent surge in domestic “environmental” terrorism. It seems like a strategy to demonize environmentalism in the same way that they demonized the word “Liberal.” Doesn’t this seem a lot like “Newspeak” from Orwell’s 1984?

Orwell’s 1984 also depicted a nation that was always embroiled in foreign wars. Domestically, there were nameless, faceless “terrorists” who were in fact sponsored by the government. This was done to perpetuate a sense of crisis among the people (like a color-coded warning system). The current administration will be remembered for the deep erosion in civil liberties as a result of the perceived need for safety. In a related vein, consider the similarity between the so-called ELF incidents and Hitler’s burning of the Reichstadt building in 1933 to win the support of the German people. Can the same support be generated for anti-environmental policies? I guess we'll find out.

Is it just me, or is America showing a poison in the body politic similar to that of 1930's Germany?

4. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +248
    That's a lovely theory, too bad ELF takes credit for most of their terror acts.

5. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +545
    Re: terrorist vs. vandal

I think a vandal is someone who defaces/destroys property for no real reason except that it's fun to them, or they just don't like the property owner. Terrorism, on the other hand, is meant to coerce someone into changing their behavior. That is why I think that the ELF is a terrorist organization, and not just vandals.

6. tybalt

tybalt Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    In my town, there is a group of women who vandalize stop signs when they stencil the word "RAPE" under "STOP." According to your definition, these women are a terrorist organization.

7. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I don't think that they are terrorists because I don't think they are writing the word "rape" to put fear or coerce people. They are exercising their right to speak out...poorly, I'd say by defacing public property. But their motive is to get people to stop raping, that's not the same as someone who's committing a felony towards people who obey the law.