Doing a job vs. keeping a job

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
It is my firm belief that the single biggest failing manifested by members of Congress and other elected and/or appointed high office holders is that they focus more on keeping their job than they do on doing their job(s).

Quite simply, Congress and Executive branch officials' job is to legislate and implement and enforce excellent policies. That, however, is not what those people seem committed to doing. What they seem intent on doing is getting reelected and/or reappointed.

Take the matter of healthcare reform, for example. Nobody thinks O-care or what preceded it was/is ideal, but the GOP have had seven years to do the research and collaboration needed to develop a "fix" that solves every imaginable aspect of the healthcare mess we used to have and still have and that might be reasonably foreseeable. (I say the GOP because the GOP has held Congress all these recent years. Had the Dems held it and not acted to fix O-care, I'd point at them, but they didn't hold Congress so I can't do so.)

NOTE:

This thread is not about healthcare. It's about Congressional and Executive ineptitude!

Agreed.

Congressional members are primarily interested in getting re-elected. To do this, they need money. As such, they easily get bought by special interests who shovel money into their coffers.

If Trump was serious about draining the swamp, he would be pushing hard for term limits on Congress.

Great column from the great Charlie Reese FROM 1984!!!!!!!!!!!! If only Americans would learn, that our central government IS THE PROBLEM!

545 people are responsible for the mess, but they unite in a common con

Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.

Have you ever wondered why, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, we have deficits? Have you ever wondered why, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, we have inflation and high taxes?

You and I don't propose a federal budget. The president does. You and I don't have the constitutional authority to vote n appropriations. The House of Representatives does. You and I don't write the tax code. The Congress does. You and I don't set fiscal policy. the Congress does. You and I don't control monetary policy. The Federal Reserve Bank does.

One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one president, and nine Supreme Court justices - 545 human beings out of 238 million- are directly, legally, morally and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.

I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve Bank because that problem was created by the Congress. In 1913, Congress delegated its constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a federally chartered but private central bank.

I exclude all of the special interest and lobbyists for a sound reason. They have no legal authority. They have no ability to coerce a senator, a congressman or a president to do one cotton-picking thing. I don't care if they offer a politician $1 million in cash. The politician has the power to accept or reject it.

No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the legislator's responsibility to determine how he votes.

Ronald Reagan for creating deficits.

Agreed.

Congressional members are primarily interested in getting re-elected. To do this, they need money. As such, they easily get bought by special interests who shovel money into their coffers.

If Trump was serious about draining the swamp, he would be pushing hard for term limits on Congress.

Great column from the great Charlie Reese FROM 1984!!!!!!!!!!!! If only Americans would learn, that our central government IS THE PROBLEM!

Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.

Have you ever wondered why, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, we have deficits? Have you ever wondered why, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, we have inflation and high taxes?

You and I don't propose a federal budget. The president does. You and I don't have the constitutional authority to vote n appropriations. The House of Representatives does. You and I don't write the tax code. The Congress does. You and I don't set fiscal policy. the Congress does. You and I don't control monetary policy. The Federal Reserve Bank does.

One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one president, and nine Supreme Court justices - 545 human beings out of 238 million- are directly, legally, morally and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.

I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve Bank because that problem was created by the Congress. In 1913, Congress delegated its constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a federally chartered but private central bank.

I exclude all of the special interest and lobbyists for a sound reason. They have no legal authority. They have no ability to coerce a senator, a congressman or a president to do one cotton-picking thing. I don't care if they offer a politician $1 million in cash. The politician has the power to accept or reject it.

No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the legislator's responsibility to determine how he votes.

Ronald Reagan for creating deficits.

Yes, that is a tactic they use. They have two main ways of effecting it: (1) sabotage something that, though untried and controversial, could possibly work if it's earnestly given a change to work, or (2) implement utter foolishness from the start.

It is my firm belief that the single biggest failing manifested by members of Congress and other elected and/or appointed high office holders is that they focus more on keeping their job than they do on doing their job(s).

Quite simply, Congress and Executive branch officials' job is to legislate and implement and enforce excellent policies. That, however, is not what those people seem committed to doing. What they seem intent on doing is getting reelected and/or reappointed.

Take the matter of healthcare reform, for example. Nobody thinks O-care or what preceded it was/is ideal, but the GOP have had seven years to do the research and collaboration needed to develop a "fix" that solves every imaginable aspect of the healthcare mess we used to have and still have and that might be reasonably foreseeable. (I say the GOP because the GOP has held Congress all these recent years. Had the Dems held it and not acted to fix O-care, I'd point at them, but they didn't hold Congress so I can't do so.)

NOTE:

This thread is not about healthcare. It's about Congressional and Executive ineptitude!
Welcome to Democracy. The tough decisions are avoided like the plague, better to kick the can as far down the road as possible than to do something about it and risk the ire of the constituency that must re-elect them.

NOTE:

Welcome to Democracy. The tough decisions are avoided like the plague, better to kick the can as far down the road as possible than to do something about it and risk the ire of the constituency that must re-elect them.
Except that we are NOT a democracy. We are a representative republic.

Sadly, most of our representatives are basically criminals.

Agreed.
However, there's no need to point at the GOP. Both sides are equally guilty. The Dem's have had time to work on/propose changes to ACA as well, but haven't.
No, both sides have only engaged in hissy-fits over triviality, and accomplishing nothing of substance, apart from dividing the country.

NOTE:

Our representatives are elected by the majority of votes, either in their district or statewide election. Our form of goverment may be a representative republic, but those representative are without doubt democratically elected.

Agreed.
However, there's no need to point at the GOP. Both sides are equally guilty. The Dem's have had time to work on/propose changes to ACA as well, but haven't.
No, both sides have only engaged in hissy-fits over triviality, and accomplishing nothing of substance, apart from dividing the country.
Agreed and the hissy fit is purposeful and by design, by the two criminal parties to dupe millions of Americans into thinking they are somehow different. Both parties are basically the same. They are only interested in power and wealth. They must be re-elected to obtain power and wealth, so they resort to criminality to retain their office.

NOTE:

Our representatives are elected by the majority of votes. Our form of goverment may be a representative republic, but those representative are without doubt democratically elected.
Agreed, but when the American people essentially have the choice between two candidates, both of whom are essentially the same and both of whom are criminals, the system fails to work for the American people. The system does work extremely well for the .01% and the ruling class.

Forum List

Back