Does science make belief in God obsolete?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by midcan5, Jul 30, 2008.

1. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,296
    I think someday peoplekind will attain a sort of immortality that will make this question even more complex. If you live for a very long time will you care about religion? Interesting stuff.

"This is the third in a series of conversations among leading scientists and scholars about the "Big Questions.""

A Templeton Conversation: Does science make belief in God obsolete?

"I am happy but frequently find myself wondering: Am I spending my energies in the right place? Am I doing the most meaningful thing I could be doing?" NB

Nick Bostrom's home page

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,947
    Science has few answers. It won't be replacing Religion except as another form of Religion for a very LONG time. That is assuming the Christians are not right and we are not already in the end times.

3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I assume you are one of those who believes that a religion is only to help a human deal with death ?

4. CA95380

CA95380 USMB Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +186
    I belive that Science (especially Medicine) is an extension of Religion (belief in a higher being - in my case God). Modern day miracle's - the healers of today are miracles. As least that is what I beleive.

5. Ninja

Ninja Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +377
    Me too. I have a standing bet with a tenured professor at a University of California campus that "ageless" mice will be developed within the next 10 years. You should check out the Methuselah Foundation if you haven't already.

However, there are some questions science simply will never answer. For example, what came before the universe? How would you develop a testable hypothesis that could allow you to even begin answering that question? I don't see how an average life expectancy of 175 years changes that.

6. chapstic

chapstic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Religion has just been a way to control people. Those that believe it now are just using it as a crutch. Science has pretty much disproved all of religion.

Oh and by the way, the bible is a great novel.

7. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Science has proven that we should love one another ? I didn't catch that one

8. Voltaire

Voltaire Libertarian Party

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Even Richard Dawkins, of The God Delusion fame, builds said book around the concept that God cannot be disproven, merely estimated to be insanely improbable.

Myself, I prefer a certain type of Deism...I can't help but look at all the complexity in the Universe, and think that there is some sort of higher power...although I believe it to be rather vain and self-important to believe that that higher power would have any special interest in us and our little speck of dirt.

Einstein said it better than I can:
    "My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble minds. That deeply emotional conviction of the presence of a superior reasoning power, which is revealed in the incomprehensible universe, forms my idea of God."

I think that the early American Deists, Thomas Paine, Ethan Allen...Thomas Jefferson (Who swung around a lot of belief systems)...Benjamin Franklin, George Washington...These men represented an age of serious thought and spiritual exploration that hasn't been replicated since. If anything, I think we have regressed as a nation, in terms of using our faculties of reason as a supplement to assist in leveling an inquisitive eye at the institution of religion. That's not to say that I'm anti-church, however; Churches of many religions provide invaluable charitable services to their communities. Could these services be provided by non religious charities? Of course, but these are the institutions that we already have in place, and they have a strong voice in modern political discourse...for good or ill.

9. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    The fact remains that as our understanding of Science increases our reliance of religion decreases. In every issue where dogma and science clash, EVENTUALLY, it's the dogma that must admit it's errors. Thank the FSM for the scientific method.

10. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Does science make belief in God obsolete?

The market makes belief in God viable.

Science has nothing to do with it.