Does Politics Affect Your Friendships?

Facts are horrible things to libbys

Facts are horrible things to Republicans.......

Obama really was born in Hawaii. And he really is, legitimately, President of the United States. Again. And the Bureau of Labor Statistics did not make up a fake unemployment rate. And the Congressional Research Service really can find no evidence that cutting taxes on rich people grows the economy. And the polls were not skewed to oversample Democrats. And Nate Silver was not making up fake projections about the election to make Conservatives feel bad. Nate Silver was doing Math. And Climate Change is Real. And rape really does cause pregnancy sometimes. And Evolution is a real. And Benghazi was an attack on us, it was not a scandal by us. And nobody is taking away anyone’s guns. And taxes have not gone up. And the deficit is dropping, actually, and Saddam Hussein did not have Weapons of Mass Destruction, and the moon landing was real, and FEMA is not building concentration camps, and UN Election Observers are not taking over Texas, and moderate reforms on the regulations in the insurance industry in this country are not the same thing as Communism. And if the Republican Party and the Conservative Movement and the Conservative Media are stuck in a vacuum-sealed, door-locked spin cycle of telling each other what makes them feel good, and denying the factual, lived truth of the world, then we are all deprived as a nation of the constructive debate between competing, feasible ideas about real problems. Last night, the Republicans got shellacked. And they had no idea it was coming. And we saw them in real, humiliating time, not believe it even as it was happening to them. And unless they are going to secede, they are going to have to pop the factual bubble they have been so happy living inside if they do not want to get shellacked again. And that will be a painful process for them, I’m sure. But it will be good for the whole country, left, right and center. You guys, we’re counting on you. Wake up. There are real problems in the world. There are real, knowable facts in the world. Let’s accept those, and talk about how we might approach our problems differently. Let’s move on from there.”

— Rachel Maddow, 11/07/12

Back to the original question:

Does politics affect your friendships?

Well, I'm pretty liberal in most things and conservative in others. I supported the election of Obama in 2008, and have a friend of mine who was a staunch Bush Jr. supporter, as well as thought that John McCain was one of the best politicians around because he supported Bush Jr's policies.

He and I disagreed quite a bit on politics. On one occasion, my room mate came between him and I because we were having a political arguement over a couple of beers watching a football game. It seems that we both got a bit loud while having a disagreement. My roomie got in between the both of us and said that we needed to call it a night, because things were getting a bit heated.

The next weekend that the Cowboys were playing? He was over at my house and drinking beer, and we were swapping jokes again.

No. I don't let politics get in the way of my friendships.

Facts are horrible things to libbys

Facts are horrible things to Republicans.......

Obama really was born in Hawaii. And he really is, legitimately, President of the United States. Again. And the Bureau of Labor Statistics did not make up a fake unemployment rate. And the Congressional Research Service really can find no evidence that cutting taxes on rich people grows the economy. And the polls were not skewed to oversample Democrats. And Nate Silver was not making up fake projections about the election to make Conservatives feel bad. Nate Silver was doing Math. And Climate Change is Real. And rape really does cause pregnancy sometimes. And Evolution is a real. And Benghazi was an attack on us, it was not a scandal by us. And nobody is taking away anyone’s guns. And taxes have not gone up. And the deficit is dropping, actually, and Saddam Hussein did not have Weapons of Mass Destruction, and the moon landing was real, and FEMA is not building concentration camps, and UN Election Observers are not taking over Texas, and moderate reforms on the regulations in the insurance industry in this country are not the same thing as Communism. And if the Republican Party and the Conservative Movement and the Conservative Media are stuck in a vacuum-sealed, door-locked spin cycle of telling each other what makes them feel good, and denying the factual, lived truth of the world, then we are all deprived as a nation of the constructive debate between competing, feasible ideas about real problems. Last night, the Republicans got shellacked. And they had no idea it was coming. And we saw them in real, humiliating time, not believe it even as it was happening to them. And unless they are going to secede, they are going to have to pop the factual bubble they have been so happy living inside if they do not want to get shellacked again. And that will be a painful process for them, I’m sure. But it will be good for the whole country, left, right and center. You guys, we’re counting on you. Wake up. There are real problems in the world. There are real, knowable facts in the world. Let’s accept those, and talk about how we might approach our problems differently. Let’s move on from there.”

— Rachel Maddow, 11/07/12

Rachel Maddow???? :lol::lol::lol::lol: What did she say on election night 2010? :eusa_boohoo:

I'm about as anti Obama as you will find but I have liberal friends who I argue with but would NEVER drop our friendship over political views. However some have dissed me. :lol:

What about you? Have you been dissed or would you end a friendship over politics?

I have liberal and conservative friends and I value them highly, even though we sometimes disagree. I am insanely on the left and I often clash with people on the right. I have lost a few friendships due to the difference in political opinion, and in all those cases, it wasn't me who pulled the plug on the friendship.

Well you came to my aid and helped, even though you can see we are at opposite ends politically so I can say you're a good person who goes above politics. Me too...I've never been the one who pulled the plug.

Which is bs, since from the beginning you assumed the answer. You were wrong then, haven't become more correct now.

No, I assumed facts. None of you NaziCons have EVER provided a "factual" accounting of the debt Obama has added - that wasn't a direct or indirect result of Bush actions and policies. You simply like to say every penny of debt since Obama was sworn in is his fault - but that isn't factual.

Whenever facts are provided, you pooh-pooh the source and ignore the facts. Expecting a lib to accept facts is as realistic as expecting this CINC to propose a realistic budget, or Congress to pass one.

I'm about as anti Obama as you will find but I have liberal friends who I argue with but would NEVER drop our friendship over political views. However some have dissed me. :lol:

What about you? Have you been dissed or would you end a friendship over politics?

I have 2 friends outside the internet and they are both of the same political leanings as I am. However my family are all left wing dumb asses. I just rub their nose in it occasionally.

Well you came to my aid and helped, even though you can see we are at opposite ends politically so I can say you're a good person who goes above politics. Me too...I've never been the one who pulled the plug.

We haven't really had a debate yet, though. ;)

I only know of four acquaintances who admit to voting Dem. Three are co-workers, two of them voted for obama because he's black, like them. The other co-worker and an friend's elderly mother both voted Dem because they're Dems, their moms and dads were Dems, etc. you get the picture. Almost everyone else I know personally are close enough in viewpoint that we see no reason to argue about it.

Yes, I've jettisoned people whose poltical modus operandi annoyed me.

Most of those folks were liberals who I thought embarrassed liberalism by not understanding what being a liberal really means.

I do have a few conservative friends but we've agreed to agree not to get into issues where we both know all we can do is agree to disagree.

Last edited:

We haven't really had a debate yet, though. ;)

:lol: I know....and I bet it would get hot and heavy...I'm just saying that you seem like a person not to knock the whole person for having differing views.

What do you want to debate? :D

I only know of four acquaintances who admit to voting Dem. Three are co-workers, two of them voted for obama because he's black, like them. The other co-worker and an friend's elderly mother both voted Dem because they're Dems, their moms and dads were Dems, etc. you get the picture. Almost everyone else I know personally are close enough in viewpoint that we see no reason to argue about it.

You're lucky!! :eusa_clap:

Yes, I've jettisoned people whose poltical modus operandi annoyed me.

Most of those folks were liberals who I thought embarrassed liberalism by not understanding what being a liberal really means.

I do have a few conservative friends but we've agreed to agree not to get into issues where we both know all we can do is agree to disagree.

Yea, if their motive is to annoy, hell with them. with my lib friends we just seem to know when to end the convo. :D

You're lucky!! :eusa_clap:

That, and there's lots more to talk about, too.

Forum List

Back