Does mathematics exist?

rupol2000

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2021
In practice, no one can give a rigorous definition of mathematics. In fact, this is a compilation of various unrelated disciplines, such as logic, arithmetic, grammar, geometry, and so on.

For example, physics = the science of nature. Everything that studies natural phenomena belongs to physics. All clear.

Math is not so clear.

The concept of mathematics cannot be defined even loosely.

I think that if it is impossible to single out a set of criteria for defining a concept, then it does not exist.

So math doesn't exist, right?

Wrong. Mathematics exists. Just because something is a man-made construct does not mean it doesn't exist.

According to Merriam-Webster dictionary:
"the science of numbers and their operations, interrelations, combinations, generalizations, and abstractions and of space configurations and their structure, measurement, transformations, and generalizations"

I know a lot of school age kids would be happy if math didn't exist.

• Banned
Wrong. Mathematics exists. Just because something is a man-made construct does not mean it doesn't exist.

According to Merriam-Webster dictionary:
"the science of numbers and their operations, interrelations, combinations, generalizations, and abstractions and of space configurations and their structure, measurement, transformations, and generalizations"
the science of everything? Why then other sciences?

I'm told that some Blacks think math is racist but I think that's like a skinny, weak White kid saying football is racist. In reality, math is pure science. If only one class could be taught to kids, the most important and useful class would be math.

• Banned
Because, while mathematics can be called the fundamental root of all sciences, they are not the sum total of the other sciences.
It's just empty talk
Because, while [anithing for PR] can be called the fundamental root of all sciences, they are not the sum total of the other sciences.
bla bla bla

At the very least, mathematics and logic are the fundamental means by which humans conceptualize, describe, and actively negotiate the physical world.

In my opinion, the ontological reality of mathematical and logical imperatives, which is what you're ultimately getting at, is contingent on their cognitive origin.

Do you subscribe to classical theism or metaphysical naturalism?

At the very least, mathematics and logic are the fundamental means by which humans conceptualize, describe, and actively negotiate the physical world
that is, people conceptualize, describe, and so on, with the help of something amorphous and indefinite, which we do not know what it is?

Actually they do it with brains and tongue lol

In my opinion, the ontological reality of mathematical and logical imperatives is contingent on their cognitive origin.

Do you subscribe to classical theism or metaphysical naturalism?
I take a scientific approach that modern mathematical theologians have rejected.

Perhaps mathematics can be defined. This is the science of speculation. In fact, it comes from sophistry. Anyway, it's close.

Ringtone Perhaps this will be clear on the example of positivism, which rejected speculative sciences in scientific knowledge. In short, this is a scientific approach.

If only one class could be taught to kids, the most important and useful class would be math.
In this case, we risk turning humanity into autists (and this is equivalent to the death of the human population)

Ringtone Perhaps this will be clear on the example of positivism, which rejected speculative sciences in scientific knowledge. In short, this is a scientific approach.
Yes. I know what positivism is. What you don't seem to understand is that positivism presupposes metaphysical/ontological naturalism.

I had 2 brains on drugs for breakfast. 2 -- that's using math. Math is real.

Because, while mathematics can be called the fundamental root of all sciences, they are not the sum total of the other sciences.

Applied Mathematics is the ability to form and calculate a measure and solve an equation to provide a result.
Those measures or results often become the proof of a scientific theory.

Forum List

Back