Does Iran Have It's Own Problem?

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, May 28, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Natch. ;)

http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/2006/05/iran-us-will-fail-to-provoke-ethnic.html

Links and pics at site, pretty scary:

2. BaronVonBigmeat

BaronVonBigmeat Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Does anyone else remember stories about Iran prior to 9/11? In the late 90's, there were frequent stories about unrest by student groups and so forth. Some stories made it out like the regime was backing off some of it's more awful abuses of power, simply because of the sheer numbers of the irate protestors. I remember reading optimistic stories about how this is one of the most pro-US countries in the mideast (according to public opinion polls that is)--an understandable knee-jerk reaction against an oppressive, anti-american regime. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" logic I guess.

I wonder what would happen to those sentiments if we bombed or invaded them?

3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Good point---Canavars' posts make it sound as if special ops from the "outside" are helping to stir things up.

4. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    According to Michael Ledeen in the article below, these internal riots are the reason Iran's asking for unilateral talks with the U.S., so the mullahs can go back to the people and say "See, America recognizes us as the legitimate government of Iran. They won't help you fight against us." The entire article is well worth the read.

Vick Sticks with His Story
    The Mullah Spin
    By Michael A. Ledeen, American Enterprise Institute
    May 25, 2006

In other words, despite the mounting repression, Iranians of all ethnic backgrounds take advantage of local issues to demand regime change. But this picture is lacking from publications like the Post, even though it goes a long way to explain the mullahs’ disinformation campaign suggesting “profound change” in its dark heart. For the mullahs’ greatest fear is that they will be overthrown by the Iranian people, and they know that the peoples’ greatest hope is that the United States will support them. The mullahs must therefore “prove” to the Iranian people that there is no hope the United States will rally to the cause of Iranian freedom, and the easiest way to do that is to trick the Bush administration into an ongoing dialogue. “You see?” the mullahs will say to the people, “the Americans recognize our legitimacy, they are not calling for our removal, on the contrary they are negotiating with us.”

http://www.aei.org/publications/pubID.24448,filter.all/pub_detail.asp

5. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Or this could be disinformation spread by the regime to delay an attack.

6. T-Bor

T-Bor Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Kind of like the disinformation spread by our regime to initiate an attack. It sure does work apparently.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Actually was really the only news the summer of 2001, besides Gary Conditt, Chandra, Monica making purses, and Chicago seniors dying of heat. I know, whenever I got out of class I zipped to read online news, there was none to be found, other than Iranian students and their protests.