Does congress need to pass a NEW consumer protection law?

Should congress consider a law to protect consumers from having smart devices shut down

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
I think we need protections from companies like Amazon & Google to prevent them from shutting down people's devices for any reason other than non payment.

I also think we will eventually need protections from corporations refusing loans or other necessary life functions based on social issues.
If IM2 wants to be a racist that's his prerogative and his ability to use the devices HE PAID FOR or banking should not be infringed on because of it.

I think we need protections from companies like Amazon & Google to prevent them from shutting down people's devices for any reason other than non payment.

I also think we will eventually need protections from corporations refusing loans or other necessary life functions based on social issues.
If IM2 wants to be a racist that's his prerogative and his ability to use the devices HE PAID FOR or banking should not be infringed on because of it.
We have such a hodge podge of consumer protection laws from state to state, that I don't hold much hope. Some states have great laws that they enforce--surprisingly CA does. OTOH, WA has some of the same laws but they don't enforce them and other states just don't have any at all.

• Banned
We have such a hodge podge of consumer protection laws from state to state, that I don't hold much hope. Some states have great laws that they enforce--surprisingly CA does. OTOH, WA has some of the same laws but they don't enforce them and other states just don't have any at all.
I think we need FEDERALLY enforced laws.

Your cellphone gets shut off for social reasons or a bank closes your account or refuses to issue a loan despite your perfect eligibility or as seen recently Amazon shuts down all the devices in your house. ETC.... All because they don't agree with you socially.
While it is currently rare we ARE DEFINITELY HEADED DOWN THIS PATH.

Congress needs to get ahead of the smart era

Your cellphone gets shut off for social reasons or a bank closes your account
I'm sorry, I misunderstood. There are federal laws for those instances--supposedly. Interstate commerce, banking and the FCC are all federally regulated. I was referring to such things as automotive, bait and switch and such laws. I agree. Those cases that you were talking about should have strong federal regulation.

I'm trying to be more gullible, yet I still don't believe that Amazon shut that guy's smart house down. It's simple too far-fetched.

Forum List

Back