Does Barack Obama have enough experience to be president?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by midcan5, Mar 24, 2008.

1. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    Newt Gingrich, commenting on Obama's experience: "Well, Abraham Lincoln served two years in the U.S.House, and seemed to do all right."

Does Barack Obama have enough experience to be president? - Obamapedia

Following George W. Bush, who only served six years as the Governor of Texas before his presidency and hasn't been that well-received, to put it lightly, the American people should make sure they vote for a qualified candidate. And in their never ending coverage of Obama, the American media loves to repeat the "experience question." Barack, a political unknown until his Democratic National Convention Speech in 2004, has been portrayed as "green", the implication being that if he's elected president, he would somehow not be ready to handle the task of the presidency, or at least not as well as his political opponents.

He has ten years experience in public office, more than the two other leading Democratic candidates, Hillary Clinton (six-plus years as Senator from New York) and John Edwards (six years as Senator from North Carolina). Barack's first eight years spent in the Illinois senate before his two years (and counting) of service in the U.S. Senate, should not be forgotten. Far away from the Washington spotlight, he introduced, voted on and passed bills, debated with his colleagues—something that was missing in Washington, where everything is settled in the backroom—and arduously worked to satisfy his constituents. Most important of all, he learned that how to work across the aisle, and get stuff done.

"When you come in, especially as a freshman, and work on something like ethics reform, it's not necessarily a way to endear yourself to some of the veteran members of the Illinois General Assembly," said state Sen. Kirk W. Dillard, a Republican who became a friend. "And working on issues like racial profiling was contentious, but Barack had a way both intellectually and in demeanor that defused skeptics."

http://www.obamapedia.org/page/Does+Barack+Obama+have+enough+experience+to+be+president??t=anon

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,995
    Doesn't really matter, there is no "test" for being President.

3. jimmyBUFFET

jimmyBUFFET Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally, I'd prefer to create the entire government out of people with no experience whatsoever...experience only gains you connections, knowledge of the seedy underbelly, ways to cover your tracks and get away with things.

If, however, you're worried about experience, I'd like to point out that 8 years of being First Lady means you have experience in only the things I listed above :D

-jB

4. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    My suspicion by now is if I said A you would say B, if I said B you would say A.

5. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,995
    No, I agree with you occasionally. It would be nice to have an " experienced" person as President. But in the end it really doesn't matter. One man does not actually run the country anyway.

As I recall there are 4 types of Presidents and actually over the run of the country no one type is better or worse.

The 4 types are , as I recall, "hands on, active", "hands on, inactive" , Hands off active" and " hands off, inactive. Or similar types. Been for ever since I learned this stuff.

6. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    I would somewhat echo RGS. I think it's a sad state of affairs when we start looking at years in politics as a qualification for being President. What we could use is someone with no conection to politics.

7. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    The Democrats must think so or he wouldn't be doing so well in their primaries.
    Once the real campaign begins, I suspect we'll all be better able to assess that.

8. Tiger

Tiger Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Obama is not and will never be fit to be a Senator, or Wal*Mart guard, I wouldn't trust him with a pet.

9. CrimsonWhite

CrimsonWhite *****istrator Emeritus Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    Come on man, he could be a Wal-mart greeter. He has the people skills.

10. JimH52

JimH52 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,275
    I can agree with that...