Does anyone know why Target (big retail chain) suffered in Canada?

From several Canadians: different business model than in the US, and it sucked. Empty shelves, high prices, poor selection, and little employee training. Basically, it was like Sears or KMart.

From several Canadians: different business model than in the US, and it sucked. Empty shelves, high prices, poor selection, and little employee training. Basically, it was like Sears or KMart.

It's a sign that the economy is so bad that moderate quality goods, like the type sold at Target are not finding consumers, who, so squeezed each month, feel forced to buy the cheapest of cheap crap at Wallmart, nudging moderate-quality goods stores like Target into bankruptcy. I'm thinking this is a sign of the economy and 1% hoarding of the wealth...It's the acceleration in momentum that won't stop until things regulate a braking system. Target, mark my words, will not be the last in this trend.

Though the recently appointed chief executive could see signs of operational improvements — notably, better stocked shelves — a key ingredient was missing.

"There just weren't enough people in the stores," the source said. "The weekend before Christmas our stores are usually packed. He wasn't seeing enough people. The stores he visited had never looked better, they were in stock, but there weren't enough people there." Thin Crowds During CEO s Visit Helped Seal Target s Canadian Demise - Business Insider and then there is this for Ontario area.... Surveying the wreckage The Times A good friend of mine runs a business in the County. He has done so for 40 years. He showed me his electricity bill last week. In December, he spent $770 on electricity. It was one of the least expensive lines on his bill. The global adjustment charge was $4,267.32. There was also a delivery charge, a debt retirement charge and an array of taxes. In total, he spent nearly $10,000 in December—for $770 of electricity. He doesn’t know where this money is going. He is not sure he can keep up. He isn’t alone.

Forum List

Back