Does Anybody Know About Microphones ?

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
I'm looking to buy a microphone to record myself playing my musical instruments. I want to record YouTube videos at home on my laptop. Having done one recording and posted it here in USMB, I don't feel like it did the instrument (an all solid wood $600 mandolin) justice.

My laptop's microphone is OK for just talking, but recording music demands more. The recording I have here in USMB sounds a bit tinny, kind of like what you might expect from a cheap, laminated (plywood) mandolin, selling for about $100. The recording doesn't match up to the real sound of the instrument, which is very woody, deep, powerful, robust, especially on the double stop tremolos.

So, what I want to do is get a microphone capable of plugging into my laptop's USB port. I know that a condenser mic is the kind for home/studio recording, but I don't know much about them, and I'm looking to spend less than $100.

Your best bet is to buy a decent condenser Mic and an usb interface.
It'll cost more than $100.
A couple hundred for the Mic and around $100 for the interface.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Your best bet is to buy a decent condenser Mic and an usb interface.
It'll cost more than $100.
A couple hundred for the Mic and around $100 for the interface.
What would the interface do for me ?
It gives you the ability to record directly to your computer. You can get a free program called Audacity. After you record your performance you can add compression, effects, eq, to your recording. It works great.

As Billyboom mentioned, you will need a good mic and mic cable, and an interface and software. I have a Shure KSM27 condenser for vocals and acoustic sounds, a pair of Sennsheiser e906's for guitar amps, and want to get a Royer R-10 Ribbon mic at some point. I would take your time figuring out what best fits your needs. I think Cakewalk has free recording software. BUT, a good mastering plugin makes a huge difference in the outcome. I use iZotope Ozone.

I would strongly recommend a mini recorder type thing like this until you get thoroughly familiar with what exactly you need to create a functional DAW (digital audio workstation).

Zoom H1n Handy Recorder

Last edited:
zooms are freaking amazing. got a couple and we use 'em when we video a band live to pull audio from the board.

i'm not sure i'd just plug direct into the laptop. you can i suppose but something like a Line 6 UX2 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EKECC2/?tag=ff0d01-20) would wonders as a go between and allow more options. you can pick 'em up used for in the $100 range.

mics at that point - acoustic or electric? you can plug your electric direct into the line 6 or you can use a sennheiser e609 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002GYSNC/?tag=ff0d01-20) would be great for acoustic stuff.

It gives you the ability to record directly to your computer. You can get a free program called Audacity. After you record your performance you can add compression, effects, eq, to your recording. It works great.
Very cool. I'll have to look into it. I had an interface (Audiobox) for 2 years. It just collected dust. I couldn't figure out how to work it.

I've suddenly gotten really busy (and with some big expenses$$), but I'll look into all these good ideas when I get unswamped. Next month probably. Thanks.

It's musician talk. You wouldn't understand.
I am a musician - and a REAL one. Who doesn't just "talk"
So I asked you how you think you could '"destroy" me. Your word, not mine.
If you knew what cutting heads was you would know how I would destroy you.

So how many albums have you done Mr. Real Musician?

Forum List

Back