Does ADHD even exist?

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
Does ADHD in fact exist? This week the BBC’s Panorama programme quite rightly exposed some very worrying private clinics.

In online consultations, staff had diagnosed a BBC reporter with ADHD — attention deficit hyperactivity disorder — despite an in-person, and far longer, assessment by an NHS psychiatrist concluding that he didn’t have the condition.

The clinics, while charging rather plump fees, seemed to have an extremely relaxed attitude towards diagnosing this increasingly common complaint.

It is a huge issue. ADHD was once mainly confined to children but is now spreading rapidly into the adult populations of the Western world.

The clinics, one of them working on behalf of the overloaded NHS, were also willing to prescribe powerful stimulant drugs on the basis of this.

Does ADHD in fact exist? This week the BBC’s Panorama programme quite rightly exposed some very worrying private clinics.

In online consultations, staff had diagnosed a BBC reporter with ADHD — attention deficit hyperactivity disorder — despite an in-person, and far longer, assessment by an NHS psychiatrist concluding that he didn’t have the condition.

The clinics, while charging rather plump fees, seemed to have an extremely relaxed attitude towards diagnosing this increasingly common complaint.

It is a huge issue. ADHD was once mainly confined to children but is now spreading rapidly into the adult populations of the Western world.

The clinics, one of them working on behalf of the overloaded NHS, were also willing to prescribe powerful stimulant drugs on the basis of this.

The person who coined the term confessed on his deathbed that the whole thing was a sham.

Made up to sell very dangerous drugs and create the kind of madness we see in young people today.

Sure it exists in children for certain. I think it is just overly diagnosed and some people just like the drugs because it helps them focus. One of my brothers was ADHD a F as a child but grew out of it as he aged.

Sorry. Could you repeat that? I got distracted while trying to learn to juggle, and missed what you said. My ADHD is acting up.

As somebody who just found out that I was missed as a diagnosis when I was a child, it most certainly exists.

Forum List

Back