Doctor Ebola Arrives in the US

How Do You Feel About the CDC Allowing Ebola into the US?

• Insanely stupid. Shut down the nuke plants now, we're in huge trouble.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Reckless. A terrible idea.

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • Not my first choice but we probably can contain it.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I'm OK with it.

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • It's fine, our technology can fix whatever happens.

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters
The US doesn't answer to Canada or Latin America, headcase.

Since you're so scared, maybe you should unilaterally evacuate the US. Hurry, every second counts!

So, shithead, in the spirit of equality, maybe Ecuador should import some ebola patients without answering to the US?

The US has the resources and ability, and we will learn from this, and the world will benefit. Maybe Ebola never hits the US full scale........but another virus WILL, and the more knowledge, the better.

They want this to spread!!!

Its very scary guys!

I highly doubt that they want it to spread. It's just that narcissists and a narcissist nation that fancies itself impervious to peril is not who should be deciding whether or not to bring 90% fatal, rapid-symptomatic ebola to the New World without consulting the other regions in it. [Canada, Central & South America].. :eusa_hand: WE may be able in the short term to handle a live case of ebola but Mexico? Ecuador? Brazil?

Again, for the cheap seats and the desperately, willful ignorant:

We've had Ebola in the US for well over a decade. We've been studying it. We've been trying to synthesize vaccines and treatments. And your imaginary 'nuclear meltdown and flying sharks!' scenario has never happened.

Your fears are based on irrational or ignorant assumptions that don't have a plausible basis in fact or reality. Take a breath, have a drink, and change your shorts. Not necessarily in that order.

Its gonna be okay.

And rest assured - diseases NEVER mutate!

Never ever ever...so invite an Ebola victim to stay in your house; it's what Jeebus would do.

Yep.

Three problems with the 'mutation' narrative.

First, if you're genuinely worried about 'mutations', then influenza should be your real concern. As its already here and has strains that are confirmed to have killed 500,000,000 people in a single outbreak. Compared to Ebola's best ever, 900.

Second, the doctor is in isolation so extreme that even if Ebola were airborne (which it isn't), it still couldn't be transmitted. Nixing the entire argument.

Third, if Ebola ever did mutate to be airborne, wouldn't we want to know as much about the virus as we can? With first hand observation of infections, we can learn a tremendous amount. And help fashion vaccines and treatments.

Or we can continue to ignore it and hope for the best. Frankly, I favor the former over the latter approach.

...maybe you could inform yourself on the nature of the disease to a degree sufficient to discuss it intelligently?

Again, we've had ebola in the US for over a decade. We didn't inform Ecuador or anyone else, as there was neither need nor obligation. The entire premise of your 'Ecuador' babble is just you imagining some 'fast rule' that has never existed to justify an argument that has never worked.

Try again.

No, I mean just Ecuador importing known carriers or infected ebola patients. What's the harm? What business is it of the US's? Remember, Typhoid Mary didn't come down with typhoid herself. She just gave it to some 50 people of which 3 or so died. Pretty tame in comparison to ebola's 90% fatality rate.

They want this to spread!!!

Its very scary guys!

I highly doubt that they want it to spread. It's just that narcissists and a narcissist nation that fancies itself impervious to peril is not who should be deciding whether or not to bring 90% fatal, rapid-symptomatic ebola to the New World without consulting the other regions in it. [Canada, Central & South America].. :eusa_hand: WE may be able in the short term to handle a live case of ebola but Mexico? Ecuador? Brazil?

We've had Ebola in the US for well over a decade. We've been studying it. We've been trying to synthesize vaccines and treatments. And your imaginary 'nuclear meltdown and flying sharks!' scenario has never happened.

Your fears are based on irrational or ignorant assumptions that don't have a plausible basis in fact or reality. Take a breath, have a drink, and change your shorts. Not necessarily in that order.

Its gonna be okay.

Past time to ramp up funding however.

Its gonna be okay.

Past time to ramp up funding however.

Meh. Ebola is scary the way it kills. But in terms of actual threat to human health, its barely worse than hippo attacks.

AIDS kills 1.3 million a year. Malaria over 650,000. Each year, every year. Whereas with Ebola, we can go years between outbreaks. With the deaths usually confided to 2 or 3 digits.

...maybe you could inform yourself on the nature of the disease to a degree sufficient to discuss it intelligently?

Again, we've had ebola in the US for over a decade. We didn't inform Ecuador or anyone else, as there was neither need nor obligation. The entire premise of your 'Ecuador' babble is just you imagining some 'fast rule' that has never existed to justify an argument that has never worked.

Try again.

No, I mean just Ecuador importing known carriers or infected ebola patients. What's the harm?

Once again, dude.....the 'fast rule' that you've made up, isn't. We don't inform Ecuador on such issues, nor they us. Your entire basis of argument is once again your imagination.

And you seem to have completely abandoned your 'nuclear meltdown and flying sharks!' hysteria. Can we toss it on the midden heap of rhetorical nonsense where it belongs?

What business is it of the US's? Remember, Typhoid Mary didn't come down with typhoid herself. She just gave it to some 50 people of which 3 or so died. Pretty tame in comparison to ebola's 90% fatality rate.
[/quote]

Tyfoid mary was isolated and infected 50 people. Our doctor with ebola is isolated as well, only to a much higher degree. And has never infected anyone. What are you complaining about exactly?

And remember, the 90% fatality rate is without treatment. With treatment its between 40 and 60%. With both of Americans responding well to treatment, improving by the day.

Never ever ever...so invite an Ebola victim to stay in your house; it's what Jeebus would do.

No, the purpose of patients being in the US is to receive the best chance of recovery; that includes quarantine and resources only available in the top hospitals. Emory has been for a chance, and I have not heard of any mass resignations. I trust US medical care over any in the world, our ingeinuity and spirit make me proud to be an American, and very thankful.

Hold on there, I thought cuba had the best hospitals in the world, and we have the worst. I mean that was the point with obamacare.

No, the purpose of patients being in the US is to receive the best chance of recovery; that includes quarantine and resources only available in the top hospitals. Emory has been for a chance, and I have not heard of any mass resignations. I trust US medical care over any in the world, our ingeinuity and spirit make me proud to be an American, and very thankful.

It absolutely violates the standard process for dealing with a deadly infection disease: quarantine and isolate.

Instead, we are importing it into an area with no history of the disease.

Once again with the neocon whackjobs it's all about me, me, me...

And here you are, completely missing the point as you always do.

Don't you have some flies in need of dewinging to keep you busy?

You know those science fiction movies and shows where the monster feeds on the emotion of fear?

Yeah. You nervous nellies who are shitting your pants are keeping the monsters at your favorite fearmongering media outlets well fed. What with all the fear you have over little Honduran children, and Ebola, and terrorists under every bed, they are becoming downright obese on your sweat and runny diarrhea!

What delicious credulous prey you are!

Last edited:
You know those science fiction movies and shows where the monster feeds on the emotion of fear?

Yeah. You nervous nellies who are shitting your pants are keeping the monsters at your favorite fearmongering media outlets well fed. What with all the fear you have over little Honduran children, and Ebola, and terrorists under every bed, they are becoming downright obese on your sweat and runny diarrhea!

This isn't a discussion of fear. It's a discussion of logic. I'm a rancher. I've lost half my herd in a week before. I bought one sick chicken once and watched over three days as all but one of my poults that year died from the disease that chicken carried into the coop. I know what disease does. Most of you intellectuals are nicely sequestered from the grim, boring reality your grandparents and great grandparents knew all too well. I even know a guy who came down with polio just a month or two before the vaccine was released. Walks with a terrible limp. He's one of the lucky ones.

If a state found out that a given livestock species had a disease that was 90% fatal, that type of animal would NOT under ANY circumstances be allowed past state boundaries either in or out. Its position would be frozen geographically until the outbreak was completely obliterated. So we are treating humans with less caution than pigs or cattle...

If an epidemic was 90% fatal and the virus mutated to spread through aerosol, sneezing, zoonotic through rats and so forth, who would take care of our nuclear fleet? Don't worry. Don't shake in your boots. It's a simple, boring, logical question. Who would do it?

Last edited:
Should You Be Concerned About Ebola? This Chart Will Tell You

zqmyxgm7aq5nigknd7vv.jpg

Of course everyone knows that being a rancher (and apparently not a very good one) makes one a world-class expert epidemiologist. Of course... :rolleyes:

What it really seems to make in at least one instance, is a frightened little nut given to fits of panic and prone to wallowing in conspiracy theories.

This isn't a discussion of fear. It's a discussion of logic. I'm a rancher. I've lost half my herd in a week before. I bought one sick chicken once and watched over three days as all but one of my poults that year died from the disease that chicken carried into the coop. I know what disease does. Most of you intellectuals are nicely sequestered from the grim, boring reality your grandparents and great grandparents knew all too well. I even know a guy who came down with polio just a month or two before the vaccine was released. Walks with a terrible limp. He's one of the lucky ones.

If a state found out that a given livestock species had a disease that was 90% fatal, that type of animal would NOT under ANY circumstances be allowed past state boundaries either in or out. Its position would be frozen geographically until the outbreak was completely obliterated. So we are treating humans with less caution than pigs or cattle...

If an epidemic was 90% fatal and the virus mutated to spread through aerosol, sneezing, zoonotic through rats and so forth, who would take care of our nuclear fleet? Don't worry. Don't shake in your boots. It's a simple, boring, logical question. Who would do it?

Did you quarantine the sick chicken and only approach it while wearing a hazmat suit?

Didn't think so, Chicken Little.

Forum List

Back