do you say goodbye on the phone?

I actually got fired because I was so bad at it. I hated it anyways so I was cool with it.
I had a few people flip out on me so I stopped trying knowing I would get fired.

I actually tried a similar job, taking catalog orders over the phone ... that was bad enough, I got fire for hacking the computers when I was waiting for calls.

a friend and i were discussing this. do you simply hang up or do you say good bye?

she ventured it was that the south is more polite and slower. so is there a regional thing to this? or is it just personal?

Yes, unless I'm mad.. Then I just hang up. Happens rarely though, since I won't talk on the phone unless I consider it of dire importance. I don't answer my cell phone much - you can leave a message.. I'll either get it, or call you back if I need to. No house phone. Got rid f that years ago.

ZI'm an ace at texting, tho! :D

I actually got fired because I was so bad at it. I hated it anyways so I was cool with it.
I had a few people flip out on me so I stopped trying knowing I would get fired.

what is the worst thing someone said to you?
I can't remeber I had the job over ten years ago.
I can tell you when I worked customer service at Kmart I was called every name under the book. I wanted to kill people when they said," well , we will just go to Walmart."
Like I flipping cared if they were going to go shop somewhere else.

My wife is Japanese so we get quite a few of them calling here. My Japanese is OK but when they hear a foreigners voice it's like they can't speak Japanese no matter how lousy their English is.

Anyway, ending a phone conversation with a Japanese person is almost like a battle of wills. It's considered rude to just hang up so they keep saying goodbye until someone hangs up. Typical conversation:

Me: Ok, so I'll tell her you called.
Them: Oh, oh, san kyuu (thank you)
Me: Alright then, goodbye.
Them: Oh, uh...
Me: What's that?
Them: Oh, uh. No. Nusing moah (Nothing More)
Me: OK. Goodbye.
Them: Uh, yes. Eetoo (They're Thinking)
Me: What?
Them: Uh, nani? (What)
Me: Nothing. Goodbye. (Hang the fuck up already!)

Even people we've known for years who are very Americanized will call and do the same thing over and over.

Its a TV invention not to say goodbye or the like.

Take note the next time you are watching a TV show , they dont say bye.

My brother the actor doesnt say goodbye.

I am always polite to people trying to earn a living and I am always nice to the Mormon knockers.

Just hanging up during a friendly conversation without closing the conversation with some kind of goodbye is strange to me.

If I'm talking to a buddy, it's usually "later".

If it's a casual acquaintence like even my boss, it's usually "see ya".

If it's my mom it's "bye" with maybe a "love you" added in becuase she lives so far away from me and I see her maybe once a year.

If it's the girlfriend it's any number of things depending on my mood.

Not saying some type of goodbye makes you a weirdo that I'd rather not associate myself with.

a friend and i were discussing this. do you simply hang up or do you say good bye?

she ventured it was that the south is more polite and slower. so is there a regional thing to this? or is it just personal?

i am from nyc and i always say goodbye, not saying goodbye may be a product of the fast moving computer age new generation(i am 44 years old)

Forum List

Back