Do YOU qualify as a 'Sentient Life Form'?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by AVG-JOE, Nov 25, 2011.

1. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE American Mutt Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    What's your religion? And I don't mean the label - Label shmabel!

Everyone has a religion... even if you don't leave the house of NFL on Sunday, you have a religion. Simply put, religion is the dynamic answers to the base questions to qualify as a Sentient life form: What are my origins? & What happens when I die? If you understand those questions and how to apply them to yourself, you my friend are Sentient. Congratulations! You may continue with this post.

By 'dynamic', I mean that it's perfectly legal, and quite common, to change your answers - Sentience means you understand the questions, not that you have the answers. (insert your preferred Deity here) knows I've changed my answers over the years! :eek:

So, currently speaking.....

How do you think Sentient Beings came to be on this wet rock, :cool: yourself among them?
    and
    How starts the next chapter of your personal essence :eusa_angel: when the time has come for your flesh to be laid out on a cold slab, staring into space?

What's your 'religion'? :dunno:
    Remember: "I dunno." is a perfectly valid answer to either question, but I'll bet $1.00 that Momma's little bastards are pretty opinionated on the subject ;)

How about Prophecy? :eusa_think: Any revelations from your preferred Deity for the next generation and beyond?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. AVG-JOE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    I attribute "Earth", as we know it to time and luck. I attribute the fact that I can know its history and discuss its future to Mom's tough love over the last few billion years.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HBON9hBDQo]Earth - A pale blue dot, your home in space HD - YouTube[/ame]

We, The People are Mom's lucky little bastards.

Me, myself and I when I die? :dunno:

I don't believe anyone knows, but I ponder it..... therefore, I am Sentient.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  3. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,122
    Not today, Joe. Today I am just a blob life form, as too much turkey and stuffing has rendered me unconscious. Zzzzzz . . . . . .

4. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,411
    How did they come here? Well, several ways actually..........one could have been strands of DNA from deep space that came here on a comet or an asteroid (and yes, there is one from Mars that was found which had fossilized bacteria in it), or, we could look at a Chariots of the Gods scenario, as there are many stories over history where people have suspected that we have been visited several times before. Matter of fact, in much medieval art, there is always an object in religious paintings that could be considered UFO's.

And, since it states that God created Adam and Eve, well..........did anyone ever consider that selective breeding by beings from other planets could qualify as well?

Interestingly enough by the way, they've found a second reference to the Mayan 2012 calendar, which was on a brick that was turned the wrong way, and it states on that brick, Dec 21st, 2012 is when "he/she/it will come back".

How starts the next chapter of personal essence for my belief system? Well.......the 1st law of thermodynamics states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, and your body runs on electricity, many who think that electricity is your soul. As soon as I leave this meat suit, I'm probably gonna go back to wherever I came from and ask for another shot, as well as the possibility of remembering what I did in this life so that I can do better next time. Many different theologies believe in reincarnation btw.........Judaism, Buddhism, Tao, Hindu, just to name a few.

As far as my religion goes? I started as a Christian, but got tired of the lies that I kept getting told, and went off in search of my own brand of spirituality. Currently, I consider myself a Taoist who likes to study Buddhist and Judaic theology.

As far as prophecy? Well..........in Judaic theology, the 2 properties of the soul are telepathy and precognition. Anyone can prove telepathy to themselves quite easily by going into a room where people are looking away from you and staring at the back of someone's head, because if you do, I can guarantee they will turn around and look at you. Same for you being able to tell when you're being observed, even though you're not looking in anyone's direction.

As far as prophecy? Ever hear those stories of people who had a really bad feeling about something (getting on a plane, taking a trip, etc), and decided not to go based on how they felt, only to hear of a horrible accident or tragedy later that they would have been involved with had they gone? That's prophecy on a personal level.

And yes..........both prophecy and telepathy exist.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  5. lizzie

lizzie Zen Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I pretty much follow my own religion, lol. :) I don't want any followers though. ;)

It's possible that nothing happens when I die, but I tend to expect I'll just go on in a journey of soul evolution. It may be a little difficult to understand, and even more difficult to believe, but I identify more strongly with my heart and mind than my body- always have. To me, people are souls who just happen to inhabit a temporary body, and not bodies that just happen to have a soul.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  6. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,411
    I kind of look at religion as a sort of "spiritual kindergarten" where you are given the basics of how to do your own search for God. But, since some theologies are a bit more involved than others, you could almost say that some are like grade school, and some are like high school, but as we all know, you can't remain in school forever..........eventually you're gonna be expected to make your own way with what you've learned.

Personally? I really don't think that God intended for us to have a specific religion, just a firm belief in Him and how He wants us to do things.

And.......it's not much more complicated than the 7 Noahide Commandments or the 10 Commandments, both pretty much say the same thing.

Or...........you could make it really simple and remember Yeshua's 2 greatest commandments.

7. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    I am no longer sentient. :(

8. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    GOD created everything as we know it.

Now how GOD created things, the earth, life, human beings is what we are arguing about today. We cannot comprehend GOD and GOD's ways because we are GOD's creations. Can any creation comprehend it creator?

In my humble opinion humankind was created by GOD through evolution. GOD created evolution as the tool to populate the earth with life and mankind was part of this process. GOD did not create earth in one day but over eons, yet to GOD an eon is but a day. We are given something more than life when we are born into this world. GOD gave humankind a soul and it is this entity that survives after our mortal body is jettisoned and it is this soul which lives for eternity, another incomprehensible aspect of GOD's plan.

9. AVG-JOE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    I suppose it is a bit heavy as turkey weekend discussion fodder.

Good thing these posts last forever... [SIZE="-2"]forever...[/SIZE] [SIZE="-3"]forever...[/SIZE]

10. AVG-JOE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    It's not having the answers MountainMan, it's understanding and pondering the questions - which I believe you do.