Do you know anyone...

Sherry

You're not the boss of me
Mar 28, 2009
some beach
who works part time and has had their hours cut back?? I'm sure the laws differ by state, and someone at my workplace said that it has to do with the new health care regulations, but none of our part time employees are now allowed to work one minute over 30 hours a week. I know the company that I work for, which has a couple dozen branches nationwide, has opted to take the fine rather than offer health benefits to part timers. I am lucky because I'm salaried and am eligible to receive all of those benefits. However, my concern is people who had been able to work 38 hours a week, and depended on that income as they live paycheck to paycheck. I'm sure many will have to try and secure another part time job to make ends meet, since many of them have not been successful at obtaining full time employment. Yet it is such a competitive job market in just about every industry. I'm wondering what sort of ripple effect this might have, and how widespread it could be.

Yeah, my wife was downsized to 0 hours about two years ago. I was downsized to 0 hours about seven months ago due to progressive injuries not covered under workman's comp.

Yes, I know a few and they all work for companies which could afford to offer insurance to their employees, but don't. It's a profit thing.

I know a whole lot more who have been working less than 40 hours for years. And, for the same reason: Their bosses put one more penny's profit ahead of the welfare of their workers.

Forum List

Back