Do you believe the war on drugs is a failure?

Sure, let's decriminalize murder to, I can tell you right now that murderers are going to murder whether it's illegal or not.

You're seriously comparing murder to someone using pot? What have you been smoking?

No, I'm comparing saying " people are going to do it whether it's legal or not" to " people are going to do it whether it's legal or not"

Interesting. Those two phrases are exactly the same. Good point!

Sure, let's decriminalize murder to, I can tell you right now that murderers are going to murder whether it's illegal or not.

Yeah, let's compare somebody smoking a doobie, to murder. Great correlation...

That isn't what I've said at all. I've only said that "people are going to do it even if it's illegal" is not a good reason to change the law about ANYTHING.

That isn't what I've said at all. I've only said that "people are going to do it even if it's illegal" is not a good reason to change the law about ANYTHING.

By itself, no, it's a good reason. But the nanny state isn't about protecting us from murderers, or other criminals who actually harm people. It's about the state protect us from "ourselves" and that's a foolish mission. It's foolish because it's simply not the state's business to decide what's good for us, and because - as has been pointed out "people are going to do it even if it's illegal". The point is not, as you're suggesting, that we should give up enforcing laws because some people don't follow them. The point is that you can't use laws to do this kind of social engineering. It doesn't work and violates basic concepts of freedom. If recreational drug users aren't harming other people, the state should leave them the hell alone.

Last edited:
Yes its a failure.

As another poster stated, education and treatment.

I don't agree. I do not think you and i should have to pay for rehab on some druggie. Its called personal responsibility.

Oh I never said anything about you and I having to pay for rehab on some druggie.

No way.

I would think agreeing to treatment... would mean that you agree on taxpayers paying for it.

If so, what is your solution to drug abuse in America?

Yes its a failure.

I don't agree. I do not think you and i should have to pay for rehab on some druggie. Its called personal responsibility.

Don't you advocate spending on jailing, though? Would the rehab be more expensive than incarceration? Not that those are the only choices, but between the two I wonder what the cost difference would be.

I suppose you're good with urban areas that look like war zones, drive-by shootings, and general gang thuggery, huh?

Yes its a failure.

Don't you advocate spending on jailing, though? Would the rehab be more expensive than incarceration? Not that those are the only choices, but between the two I wonder what the cost difference would be.

I am not interested in rehabbing or rehabilitating anyone who breaks the law.... The money that would be saved on the "war on drugs" would be more then pay for more jails.

You want people to stop using drugs... make the risks to great to use them.

I am not interested in rehabbing or rehabilitating anyone who breaks the law.... The money that would be saved on the "war on drugs" would be more then pay for more jails.

You mean that the drugs themselves aren't a big enough risk?

Oh I never said anything about you and I having to pay for rehab on some druggie.

No way.

I would think agreeing to treatment... would mean that you agree on taxpayers paying for it.

Community organizations, churches, families, and other non-government funded institutions could help.

However, ending the prohibition would reduce the level of abuse as has been demonstrated in other countries with far less strict laws so the cost of treatment would go down.

The forbidden taboo attached to drugs appears to illicits their use and subsequent abuse.

What I'm questioning is the premise that government has a legitimate right to control people in this way. Do we really want a government that tells us what to eat, smoke, drink, think etc??

No way.

Community organizations, churches, families, and other non-government funded institutions could help.

However, ending the prohibition would reduce the level of abuse as has been demonstrated in other countries with far less strict laws so the cost of treatment would go down.

The forbidden taboo attached to drugs appears to illicits their use and subsequent abuse.

No, that's not right. Drugs feel good. We like them. That's why we use them. There's a whole world of sociological data regarding why use starts.

But. . .

It feels good.

Then death.

:eusa_eh:

You mean that the drugs themselves aren't a big enough risk?

I did not say that.

If your deal or get caught with drugs... some people may think twice if its a mandatory 20 years in jail without the possibility of parole was the price.

I know.. its wishful thinking..... lol.

Forum List

Back