Do you believe in evolution?

I was watching, (Sort of watching, I was doing housework and mostly listening to it, occasionally) a discovery channel science special the other day, can't remember what it was on specifically, I think it was called, How the Earth was Made....anyway, I just caught the ending part of it saying that our days were much longer when the earth was first created...I didn't hear exactly WHY....? But I did get a little chill for a nano=second that made me smile as well, thinking, Lord forgive me for doubting your Creation timeline and being such a doubting Thomas....

I believe in both, to answer the original post...nothing in the Bible rules out the evolution of a species or the Earth....the whole creation story was an evolution.

SO, God made man in 'his' image but just really really slowly from apes... but he made other things right the first time?

I think the dinosaurs would be in the bible if it was truthful. And they would be if the authors had known about their existence...

I don't have any trouble imagining that all of evolution, including dinosaurs, etc, until humans appeared is what the first 5 1/2 "days" of creation encompass. It doesn't go into any detail about how God created anything, it just says He did.

I was watching, (Sort of watching, I was doing housework and mostly listening to it, occasionally) a discovery channel science special the other day, can't remember what it was on specifically, I think it was called, How the Earth was Made....anyway, I just caught the ending part of it saying that our days were much longer when the earth was first created...I didn't hear exactly WHY....? But I did get a little chill for a nano=second that made me smile as well, thinking, Lord forgive me for doubting your Creation timeline and being such a doubting Thomas....

I believe in both, to answer the original post...nothing in the Bible rules out the evolution of a species or the Earth....the whole creation story was an evolution.

SO, God made man in 'his' image but just really really slowly from apes... but he made other things right the first time?

I think the dinosaurs would be in the bible if it was truthful. And they would be if the authors had known about their existence...

man might have been here, such as homo erectus who was a hunter and gatherer, but it was not until homo sapiens, a million years after the first homo erectus, did we arise as modern man, knowledgeable man....and only 10,000 years ago where we began to produce agriculture/cultivate/farm/till the soil....there still is NO SCIENTIFIC PROOF that we as homo sapiens descended from homo erectus...

the Bible says we were hunters and gathers, until we ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and became more like God, in our intelligence....and then we were kicked out of the garden and began to "till the soil" for food.

The Bible in Genesis also states that the earth was covered with water until the earth arose from it and the waters were separated from the earth...and I was watching a History channel special that says that the earth was all water, then one land mass arose called Pangea, then later the continent split up in to the continents we have now...

How in the WORLD would those that wrote the Bible thousands of years ago, KNOW that this is what happened?

There are so many things like this that are mystifying....open your mind Gurdari....it really won't hurt you! :D

Care

He could have. my father in law brought up this possibility at church and was treated like a heretic.

Heaven forbid someone should try to disagree with the Council of Nicea.

That's the only real problem I have with a lot of christian churches. I experienced the same treatment when I was growing up and mentioned the alien life thing. At first they were like "hmm ... could be, but then ...", after I got a little older they outright ranted to me whenever I mentioned the fact that the bible doesn't discount alien life.

Years ago I had a coversation with on of my friends. Her father was a pastor. She said she didn't believe in life on other planets because God loved US and wouldn't do that to us. I said, "You're an only child, aren't you?" She said, "Yes, what does that have to do with it?" Me, "I have 4 brothers and sisters and I know my parents don't love me any less because they have 4 other children, how much more infinate is God's love?" She didn't have an answer and just said I was wrong and left it at that.

How in the WORLD would those that wrote the Bible thousands of years ago, KNOW that this is what happened?

How? Really Care, you must read your bible more often :eusa_angel::

2 Timothy 3:16 (New International Version)

16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

Inspired by God... that is how.

And good evening to you.

Immie

True, the world would have started off spinning at slower rate, considering it is continually speeding up a fraction of a nano-second each hundred years I believe. So that may perhaps even be the case.

You have it backwards. We are spinning more slowly. We spin one thousandth of a second more slowly each day. So each day gets one second longer about every 3 years.

I believe in both evolution and creation.

The Bible says God created man from the ground ... evolution says we evolved from some single celled organisms from a primordial soup of some kind.

Why couldn't God have created evolution?

There is no reason that a Diety could not have created a universe where the laws were designed to bring forth life. In fact, most of the founders of this nation were Diests, who believed that whatever Diety existed had given us life and left it up to us to decide what to do with it.

And one does not beleive in evolution. It is not a matter of belief, but rather the acceptance of the evidence that we see about us daily.

He could have. my father in law brought up this possibility at church and was treated like a heretic.

That is a problem. My mother put it rather succintly. Why does the Church worry about how God did it? After all, the Bible is not a science text, but a book of how a people have evolved a social system that gives us all rules that create a better life for all of us. But the various religions insist on a literal interpretation of old creation myths, rather than addressing the issues that the myths were created for.

How? I've read that book over and over again (forced to as a child) and nothing in there contradicts any scientific theories, hell, it doesn't even discount alien life.

The most obvious reason would be the time constraints placed on the Week of Creation, which specify days, the time frame of "days" being literal 24 hour periods as specified by Genesis 1:14 and confirmed by Exodus 20:8-11, which is an obvious contradiction of the timeframe of evolution, the Cambrian Explosion alone lasting seventy to eighty million years.

The original words did not state days, but rather a word that indicates a "length of time". The King James version of the Bible is hardly a good translation of the old texts.

The theory of evolution is integral to my worldview.

My father always used to say that he could not understand how the preachers thought they could honor their Creator by denying the wonder of His Creation.

When people deny the obvious that the record in stone tells us, they are calling whatever Creator they worship a liar. I am an agnostic. I do not deny that others may know the truth of the existence or non-existance of a Diety, I only state that I have not enough knowledge to make a personal decision regarding that issue.

I believe in evolution with IN a species, it is pretty much a proven fact that happens ( try the horse for evidence) . However there is NO evidence that one species of NON plant life, or virus, or single cell life has ever evolved into 2 or more other species.

And Yes even if they prove man evolved from an ape like creature that JUST MEANS that is how God made man evolve. I keep asking who it was that Cain lived with once cast out for the murder of his brother, and who it was his siblings all married.

Religious people will not be effected by actual evidence that evolution occurs in the manner that science claims. Of course for now it is unimportant since it is totally unproven.

RGS, there has been a little improvement in science called Genetics. We have read the genetic code of many species. And the reading of that code has given total support to the Theory of Evolution.

I believe in evolution with IN a species, it is pretty much a proven fact that happens ( try the horse for evidence) . However there is NO evidence that one species of NON plant life, or virus, or single cell life has ever evolved into 2 or more other species.

And Yes even if they prove man evolved from an ape like creature that JUST MEANS that is how God made man evolve. I keep asking who it was that Cain lived with once cast out for the murder of his brother, and who it was his siblings all married.

Religious people will not be effected by actual evidence that evolution occurs in the manner that science claims. Of course for now it is unimportant since it is totally unproven.

RGS, there has been a little improvement in science called Genetics. We have read the genetic code of many species. And the reading of that code has given total support to the Theory of Evolution.

No it does not. Unless of course we were once mice. Or pigs. LOTS of animals have lots of similar DNA to one another. Does not mean they all came from the same source creature.

If by "Theory of Evolution" you mean dogs becoming whales or is it the other way around, I'd have to disagree with you. I see no convincing evidence. On the other hand only a fool would state that a species doesn't evolve.

As for reading the code, I've heard it claimed we came from apes. I have also heard that our closest genetic relative is the pig. My mom used to call me a pig whenever she opened my bedroom door, but I don't think she meant it in quite those terms. :)

Immie

I believe in evolution but not creationism. I find the story of creationism to be incompatible with evolution. Creationism says God created the earth first before the heavens, and that God created man before the animals. Both are scientifically incorrect.

However, God may have been the spark for evolution and set it in motion.
FYI! ;)
No Toro, the Bible does NOT say he created the earth before the Heavens...

Genesis 1

The Beginning

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

genesis 1, lists Heavens, then Earth.

Is this in any way important? It seems to me that the importance of the Bible is that it teachs the evolution of the morality of a people as they evolved from a tribal tradition to a modern state. Perhaps there are those who have the ability to 'reach' whatever serves as a Diety. Such people as Christ and Gandhi.

Mankind faces many challenges, not the least of which is that we have Hunter-Gatherer instincts in an urban world. The old Warrior mentality is hardly relevant in a world with nuclear weopons. In fact, Christs commandment, that we treat others as we would wish to be treated has never been more relevant.

However you must recall the time period the original version of each story was writ, in the time that the Genesis story was written a "day" was a very subjective time frame, which had no definitive amount of time. Thus the word they used could represent 1 hour or 1 million years ... or even more. They were using it in reference to a god, which by all definitions would live in a completely alien time frame. So sorry, but it still does not discount evolution or any form of scientific creation, all it offers is a why, not a how and when in reality.

I anticipated that objection and intended to forestall it by referring to passages that specified "day" in the sense of a 24 hour period. We could refer to the mention of "the evening and a morning" in Genesis 1:2, 8, 13, 19, 23, and 31, though if "day" is discounted, that reference could be also. The Hebrew terminology which is used also specifies a 24 hour period, although one could argue that this is contradicted by Genesis 2:4. But as I already noted, the strongest evidence comes from Exodus 20:8-11, which makes it clear that God's "six days" of creation are equivalent to conventional days, the origin of the Sabbath being that God also rested on the "seventh day."

I used to be a theistic evolutionist, and I certainly understand its appeal. But it's simply not consistent with Scripture.

Again, the Torah never mentions "24 hours." Man didn't keep time back then, so the concept was foreign to them.

Do you believe the Torah, the Written Law and the Oral Law are the absolute Words of God and was written by God and handed to Moses completed? If so, are you a Christian?

I have been told by those that study such things that the words in the Torah that describe the days of creation can be interpreted simply to mean "a length of time".

I believe in both evolution and creation.

The Bible says God created man from the ground ... evolution says we evolved from some single celled organisms from a primordial soup of some kind.

Why couldn't God have created evolution?

2 things:
1. Evolution is a well supported scientific theory that doesn't require "belief".
2. Evolution does address how organisms change but it does not address the origin of life from primordial soup.

Precisely, the spark of life itself has no scientific explanation, at least not yet. Something had to trigger it. Could have been a god, could have been aliens, or maybe some extradimensional phenomenon.

Rather on the contrary. There are many scientific scenarios for abiogenisis. There was a wonderful article, titled, "On the Other Hand" concerning Chirality and the beginning of life. Unfortunetly, I cannot recall which journal that this was published in.

How? I've read that book over and over again (forced to as a child) and nothing in there contradicts any scientific theories, hell, it doesn't even discount alien life.

The most obvious reason would be the time constraints placed on the Week of Creation, which specify days, the time frame of "days" being literal 24 hour periods as specified by Genesis 1:14 and confirmed by Exodus 20:8-11, which is an obvious contradiction of the timeframe of evolution, the Cambrian Explosion alone lasting seventy to eighty million years.

However you must recall the time period the original version of each story was writ, in the time that the Genesis story was written a "day" was a very subjective time frame, which had no definitive amount of time. Thus the word they used could represent 1 hour or 1 million years ... or even more. They were using it in reference to a god, which by all definitions would live in a completely alien time frame. So sorry, but it still does not discount evolution or any form of scientific creation, all it offers is a why, not a how and when in reality.

I have heard more than one bible scholar / teacher use the argument presented by Nemesis to "prove" evolution is impossible - Impossible because there hasn't been enough time.

-Joe

Why should you think this? The authors of the Bible were men of high intelligence and low knowledge. We did not know dinosaurs existed untill mid 19th century.

man might have been here, such as homo erectus who was a hunter and gatherer, but it was not until homo sapiens, a million years after the first homo erectus, did we arise as modern man, knowledgeable man....and only 10,000 years ago where we began to produce agriculture/cultivate/farm/till the soil....there still is NO SCIENTIFIC PROOF that we as homo sapiens descended from homo erectus...

the Bible says we were hunters and gathers, until we ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and became more like God, in our intelligence....and then we were kicked out of the garden and began to "till the soil" for food.

The Bible in Genesis also states that the earth was covered with water until the earth arose from it and the waters were separated from the earth...and I was watching a History channel special that says that the earth was all water, then one land mass arose called Pangea, then later the continent split up in to the continents we have now...

There are so many things like this that are mystifying....open your mind Gurdari....it really won't hurt you! :D

Care

This is not correct. There were many land masses prior to Pangea. The dance of the land masses has been going on for the entire history of this planet. Look up the Wilsonian Cycles. Named for Tuzo Wilson.

I anticipated that objection and intended to forestall it by referring to passages that specified "day" in the sense of a 24 hour period. We could refer to the mention of "the evening and a morning" in Genesis 1:2, 8, 13, 19, 23, and 31, though if "day" is discounted, that reference could be also. The Hebrew terminology which is used also specifies a 24 hour period, although one could argue that this is contradicted by Genesis 2:4. But as I already noted, the strongest evidence comes from Exodus 20:8-11, which makes it clear that God's "six days" of creation are equivalent to conventional days, the origin of the Sabbath being that God also rested on the "seventh day."

I used to be a theistic evolutionist, and I certainly understand its appeal. But it's simply not consistent with Scripture.

Aaaah ... but you are making a very common mistake, even among christians, the bible itself is a combination of a bunch of stories from many different places across the world, each written by different authors, some of the books in the christian bible specifically were written by one person, other books in it written by many people. The wording came from different languages, so the translation to our limited language of Shakesperean English has created many inconsistencies. The time frame in the particular story of creation was written, as I said, subjectively from the perspective of a being so alien to us that it could represent anything. One may argue this was originally done in case of such a discovery as to the origin or the universe, thus it would fit regardless of what science discovers, a lesson taken from the Ancient Egyptians who's whole religion was built around the chance that science may advance to a point in which the stories would be challenged by it. Here's the thing, religion is the why, but it does nothing to approach the how for a reason, thus why in many places it says you are not suppose to assume you know the power of their god. Science is merely a more detailed understanding of the world, it is not a religion and does not conflict with religion, ever, in spite of both extremist arguments on both sides. If you take the christian bible literally you cannot even say that evolution of humanity is not fact, because then you are assuming you know for sure that it is not the christian god's power, thus breaking the same commandment. We know evolution is fact, it happens every day, we see it and without understanding it we would not have any of the vaccines we do now.

That, is one of the best arguments for evolution and against any divine inspiration for that classic work of human literature we call The Bible.

-Joe

Forum List

Back