Do we have a right to not be discriminated against

The Christian baker is hurting nobody. He isn't protesting anybody's wedding. He isn't refusing anybody the privilege of having a wedding. He isn't interferring with the wedding in any way. He is simply exercising his own moral choice not to participate in it.

Does it hurt somebody to come in and want swaztikas on cup cakes for a birthday party, even in jest, and be refused that? No. Anymore than such person would be hurt if there was no bakery in business at all.

Does it hurt somebody when the baker refuses to inscribe "God hates gays" on a cake? I am pretty much 100% certain that the Christian baker would have refused to do that too.

Tolerance is a two way street or it is 100% hypocrtical.

If you see a valid factual comparison to saying I won't bake a gay wedding cake to saying I would bake a god hates fags cake, you need new glasses.

The baker is a bigot, and he's acting like a bigot. He's singling ONE sin to make a statement about. He may not actively be saying to himself "I'm gonna single out sodomy as sin ONE, but that is what he's doing, whether he admits it or not. But, I don't see how that is a reason to shut down his business. Boycott it? I wouldn't buy anything from him.

You are perfectly within your right to choose not to buy anything from the baker. Nobody is requiring you to. But unless you allow the baker the strength of his convictions in peace, you are a hypocrite when you demand the right to express your convictions and views without consequences of being physically or materially punished because you hold them.

How is the baker being punished? Imo, there shouldn't be any law against saying I won't serve people with more than one body piercing or tattoo. There would most likely be a negative economic consequence if I did no. I'm not a hypocrite, I'm simply biased against people who don't serve gays. There's no hypocrisy there. And, the only hypocrisy by the baker is that he's elevating sodomy to be the one sin he excludes from service. Apparently, he's cool with adultery.

ROFLMFAO, it's fairly easy to spot gays, especially when one is flaming............
How is this baker supposed to know who are adulterer's??
What's the key thing we need to look for??

Dude your moronic shit is so funny, now I'ma gonna make fun of your dumb ass ......................
That's the point The baker makes no effort to see who's a sinner. You couldn't make fun of yourself, ahole

Yes, that IS the point. Nobody is "trying to see who's a sinner". That's YOUR frigging straw man, not any sort of real point here. The baker just doesn't agree with their wedding, and so he doesn't want to be part of it. That's all. He's not trying to avoid sinners, because every Christian knows that EVERYONE is a sinner.

The problem comes with the selective way liberals define "discrimination." Until very recently, it--quite properly--meant that you could not use race or gender to deny basic services to anyone, such as serving them a meal in a restaurant, renting them a room at a hotel, renting them an apartment, renting your home to them (with certain common sense exceptions, which liberals judges are gradually destroying), providing them with medical care, and hiring them for a job if they are the most qualified candidate.

But now liberals are pushing to expand that definition to mean that a gay couple's desire to coerce or punish a religious vendor who does not want to host or service a gay wedding takes precedence over the religious vendor's constitutional rights of freedom of religion, freedom of association, and freedom of private property.

I
... Isn't it just a little hypocritical to condemn a bakery run by someone with a deep moral conviction that homosexuality is wrong for refusing to participate in the planning of a homosexual marriage...

Except no one is requiring any bakery to "participate in the planning of a homosexual marriage." That is the responsibility of those to be wed. The baker is being asked to do only what he does for other weddings .. bake a fucking cake! The bakery should be required to not discriminate against consumers on the basis of their sexual orientation and anyone with "deep moral conviction" should know that to do so is not just wrong but also deeply hypocritical. Woo.

Ah, so what you're REALLY saying is that people should not be allowed to own and operate a business unless you agree with how they run that business.

That's pretty much it, yeah. The idea is that operating a business is, essentially, a joint venture, wherein the government has a vested interested in how the business is run.

It is refreshing to see a totalitarian expose his/her real viewpoint. Thank you.

That's not MY viewpoint. At all.
I
... Isn't it just a little hypocritical to condemn a bakery run by someone with a deep moral conviction that homosexuality is wrong for refusing to participate in the planning of a homosexual marriage...

Except no one is requiring any bakery to "participate in the planning of a homosexual marriage." That is the responsibility of those to be wed. The baker is being asked to do only what he does for other weddings .. bake a fucking cake! The bakery should be required to not discriminate against consumers on the basis of their sexual orientation and anyone with "deep moral conviction" should know that to do so is not just wrong but also deeply hypocritical. Woo.

Ah, so what you're REALLY saying is that people should not be allowed to own and operate a business unless you agree with how they run that business.

That's pretty much it, yeah. The idea is that operating a business is, essentially, a joint venture, wherein the government has a vested interested in how the business is run.

It is refreshing to see a totalitarian expose his/her real viewpoint. Thank you.

I did not intend to imply it was YOUR viewpoint. I apologize. I was referring to "sayit" as exposing his totalitarian viewpoint and intended to thank you for your confirmation of his meaning. As the kids say, my bad.

dblack, I think you were being thanked for exposing that viewpoint expressed by a third party. I suspect you and hunarcy see things similarly.

foxfyre, I agree. And, I'm not quite sure what you were trying to get at with the Stanford philosophy encyclopedia, but it seemed pretty unbiased to me.

Thank you, bendog. You are correct in your interpretation. I was guilty of poor communication. My only defense is that I was at work and was a bit pressed for time.

dblack, I think you were being thanked for exposing that viewpoint expressed by a third party. I suspect you and hunarcy see things similarly.

foxfyre, I agree. And, I'm not quite sure what you were trying to get at with the Stanford philosophy encyclopedia, but it seemed pretty unbiased to me.

Thank you, bendog. You are correct in your interpretation. I was guilty of poor communication. My only defense is that I was at work and was a bit pressed for time.
I'm sorry I was once rude to you. You've never been anything but consistently civil.

I'm sorry I was once rude to you. You've never been anything but consistently civil.

No worries. We all have days like that. :)

I did not intend to imply it was YOUR viewpoint. I apologize. I was referring to "sayit" as exposing his totalitarian viewpoint and intended to thank you for your confirmation of his meaning. As the kids say, my bad.

Perhaps you could clear up something for me. What is so wrong about expecting a baker with strong Christian beliefs to actually honor them regarding those who are sexually different? Isn't judging them so harshly a sin?

Perhaps you could clear up something for me. What is so wrong about expecting a baker with strong Christian beliefs to actually honor them regarding those who are sexually different? Isn't judging them so harshly a sin?

Ask yourself how you would feel about it if somebody else presumed to dictate to you how you were supposed to honor your beliefs instead of leaving that up to you. Most especially when that somebody has no clue what your beliefs actually are. And then you answer your own question.

I

I

Ahh... got it. Thanks.

“Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem.

Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise.

But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.”

Barry M. Goldwater "Mr. Conservative"
They aren't much different that the Taliban.

You're actually going to have to explain what the hell you're talking about, because you kinda lost me in the vagueness of the question.

You're actually going to have to explain what the hell you're talking about, because you kinda lost me in the vagueness of the question.

Do you see the hypocrisy in expressing ones faith by judging another human being's sexuality and punishing them for it?

Do you see the hypocrisy in expressing ones faith by judging another human being's sexuality and punishing them for it?

Do you see why your question is the equivalent of "When did you stop beating your wife?" and why it doesn't deserve an answer?

Do you see why your question is the equivalent of "When did you stop beating your wife?" and why it doesn't deserve an answer?

I take that to mean you can't see the sanctimonious hypocrisy. Feel free to wallow in your bigotry but please don't blame it on God.

“Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem.

But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.”

Lol! That is the stupidest thing I have read in a long time.

Both groups want their beliefs to be the rule of law.

lol I provided a quote, idiot. Every word of what Goldwater said is true.

This quote from him too: "Every good Christian should line up and kick Jerry Falwell's ass."

Dead on!

And this one: ""Well, I've spent quite a number of years carrying the flag of the 'Old Conservatism.' And I can say with conviction that the religious issues of these groups have little or nothing to do with conservative or liberal politics.

The uncompromising position of these groups is a divisive element that could tear apart the very spirit of our representative system, if they gain sufficient strength."

Bingo!

and this one: "The religious factions will go on imposing their will on others," { he said,} "unless the decent people connected to them recognize that religion has no place in public policy. They must learn to make their views known without trying to make their views the only alternatives. . .

We have succeeded for 205 years in keeping the affairs of state separate from the uncompromising idealism of religious groups and we mustn't stop now...

To retreat from that separation would violate the principles of conservatism and the values upon which the framers built this democratic republic."

from CHURCH & STATE July / August 1998

Zing!

Too bad there aren''t more "real" Conservatives like Goldwater anymore.

Goldwater vs Religious Right

Yes, fucknut. You provided a quote that was supposed to make people go, "Oh, Goldwater said so, so that makes it true!" That's called an "appeal to authority", and it's a logical fallacy.
Hey, twit, Goldwater *is* the authority on what HE saw happening with the religious right infesting itself into the GOP, and what would happen if the extremist wing of the social conservatives get a stranglehold on the party.

And was he right? He damn sure was.

Both groups want their beliefs to be the rule of law.

Like Obama and Hitler, both want their beliefs to be rule of law.

Like I said, that's the stupidest thing I have read in a long time.

Forum List

Back