Do we have a right to not be discriminated against

I did not intend to imply it was YOUR viewpoint. I apologize. I was referring to "sayit" as exposing his totalitarian viewpoint and intended to thank you for your confirmation of his meaning. As the kids say, my bad.

Perhaps you could clear up something for me. What is so wrong about expecting a baker with strong Christian beliefs to actually honor them regarding those who are sexually different? Isn't judging them so harshly a sin?

I would expect a baker with strong Christian beliefs to actually honor their beliefs regarding in every situation. I might not agree with their beliefs, but they should be free to honor their beliefs in every situation.

Do those beliefs not usually include love for thy neighbor and judging not lest ye be judged?

They do, but you can judge the actions while not judging the people. I haven't heard any Christians say that Gays should be put to death, nor not have the relationships they want to have here. I have heard them say that their relationships should not be called "marriage" as they believe that is between a man and a woman, but I never heard anyone say they shouldn't be allowed to form a "Civil Union". (I realize I haven't talked to ALL Christians and there may be some extremely radical ones, but I don't view them as representing anyone but themselves.)

I did not intend to imply it was YOUR viewpoint. I apologize. I was referring to "sayit" as exposing his totalitarian viewpoint and intended to thank you for your confirmation of his meaning. As the kids say, my bad.

Perhaps you could clear up something for me. What is so wrong about expecting a baker with strong Christian beliefs to actually honor them regarding those who are sexually different? Isn't judging them so harshly a sin?

I would expect a baker with strong Christian beliefs to actually honor their beliefs regarding in every situation. I might not agree with their beliefs, but they should be free to honor their beliefs in every situation.

As should the baker who happened to be gay. He should not be required to inscribe "God hates fags" on a cake any more than the Christian or Muslim baker be required to inscribe something on a cake that is offensive or wrong to them. No matter who you are, as long as you conduct yourself appropriately, you should be able to buy any product in a place of business that is in stock and is for sale. But none of us, no matter who we are, should be able to demand that the proprietor accommodate a special order or create a product that is offensive to that proprietor.

And if we truly believe in tolerance and liberty, none of us will presume to dictate to another what must be or can't be offensive to that other.

Forum List

Back