Do Catholics, Mormons, Jehova's Witnesses and Protestants Believe...

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by AVG-JOE, Apr 22, 2012.

1. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE American Mutt Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    Do those of you who're Catholics, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses and Protestants believe that y'all will be all alone in Heaven praising God for the next 10,000+ years, or do you guys think that you'll be surrounded by Catholics, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses and Protestants, just like here on earth?

:eusa_think: Do Seventh Day Adventists consider themselves to be 'Protestants'?

2. Ernie S.

Ernie S. Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,472
    Personally, I do. I figure I will likely find some Muslims, Buddhists and a Taoist or 2. As for the Mormons and Witnesses, the first thing I'm going to do when I get there is disconnect the door bell.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,722
    I suspect that heaven will be filled with all sorts of believers regardless of church leanings.

4. freedombecki

freedombecki Let's go swimmin'! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,933
    I don't know all the answers to your question, AVG-JOE.

I believe people have free will, the right to personal beliefs, and and learn a love for others in discipline of study of the word and living a life reflecting that study. Both my children had parents and grandparents who were teachers, ministers, elders, and deacons. They were also sinners, made mistakes like everyone else does, and held a variety of views on life, relationships, marriage, military service, study of laws, child rearing, and business attitudes. Our commonality on this side is that we are American citizens, protected to believe what we want without Congress passing a law banning our individual feelings toward God's goodness, we were a part of a community of people of many faiths who joined together and built, supported and maintained a library, a symphony orchestra, a hospital, a hospice, community swimming pools to teach children how to swim and provided therapy for indigents, running paths, golf courses, a whitewater park, a bandshell for outdoor musical events, an event center, rodeo, county fairs, Shriner's circuses, the works. We supported things to reconcile people not only with God's laws of service and obedience to right practices, but also to reconcile themselves with differences with others.

When you've done that and you approach death, they say you might realize that all that stuff you did, the people you loved and helped, your service, etc. all your good works cannot match a quiet walk through God's forest, awakening to cheerful birdsong, or being blessed with an opinion you might rather not be hearing. We're so surrounded by gifts, and sometimes we don't enjoy the gifts given. Why? We forget to go to the beach and put a shell up to our ear? We forgot to pack the bug spray and take thiamine to avoid mosquito bites while walking the humid meadow? We leave that boat sitting in the garage and fail to get refreshment from skimming over lake waters? We forget to remember a friend's family who always brought us cheer before? You know, we have a lot of choices. Are we in charge of using them wisely?

At the end of the day, we just do what we can, and leave those other worries to God, since we don't do his choosing, he does. The difference between ourselves and others is that we believe in Him for salvation--not ourselves or others.

The rest is in the Bible. If we cannot read, accept, or understand parts of it, we trust God will make it clear to us at the right time.

In summary my adage is "do your best and leave to heaven the rest." That includes making irrelative judgments that we oughtn't to make.

This silly diatribe is getting too long, and doesn't mean anything, much.

Happy Easter, AVG-JOE. :)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  5. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    No Longer a US Majority: Protestants...
    :eusa_eh:
    One in five Americans reports no religious affiliation, study says
    Oct 9, 2012 : One-fifth of US doesn't identify with any traditional religion

6. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,985
    Only 144000 will go to heaven, all the rest will live on a restored Earth with Jesus as the King aided by the 144000 in Heaven to rule. Other then Jesus no one has ascended to Heaven yet.

There is no trinity and heaven only has angels and God in it.

7. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,165
    The Vision sums up Mormon beliefs on the post-resurrection after life well.

The Vision of the Redemption of the dead sums up Mormon beliefs on Pre-resurrection after life.

Our life will be much the same it is now. We will still exist in communities. We will be organized in families. However, we won't die. We won't get sick or hurt. and our lives will be coupled with glory that we dont currently have.

Side note: This is one of the many reasons I've found South Park an unreliable source about Mormon beliefs. While it was amusing to see everyone in hell told that the Mormons were correct, it doesn't accurately reflect what happens in the after life in mormon theology.

8. oldfart

oldfart Older than dirt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +527
    THOUGHT EXPERIMENT:

In an afterlife a Jehovah's Witness and a Mormon missionary are arguing trying to convert each other. To them is this heaven? To observers is this hell? Inquiring minds want to know.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  9. oldfart

oldfart Older than dirt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +527
    You can find the Taoist part of heaven by following the sound of belching until you find the fat people drinking beer.

10. there4eyeM

there4eyeM unlicensed metaphysician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,296
    What happened to Enoch and Elijah?