Do Americans Use Guns Only For Self Defense?

MathewSmith

May 24, 2015
I want to ask you a question. Do guns make us safer? The challenge to this question - though some people certainly use guns for self-defense, the data suggest that overall, guns are used far more often for killing then self-defense. Gun-rights supporters have thousands narrated stories of how their guns had saved them or their loved ones in armed confrontations. I want to know your point. Do we really need guns to be able to protect ourselves?

I want to ask you a question. Do guns make us safer? The challenge to this question - though some people certainly use guns for self-defense, the data suggest that overall, guns are used far more often for killing then self-defense. Gun-rights supporters have thousands narrated stories of how their guns had saved them or their loved ones in armed confrontations. I want to know your point. Do we really need guns to be able to protect ourselves?
If the guns are only used for self-defense, what the heck is self-defense, then?

A moot point, since we have the 2nd, heck even Democrats hunt and have guns.

More guns=less crime. That is certain.
No, we dont use guns just for self defense. Of all the guns I own I used one once to stop a crime. Most of them have been used in punching holes in paper, developing skills and knowledge, having fun with friends. Why people want to ban sporting goods is beyond me.

Of course. I've had guns all my life. I never used one for self defense though. I still don't understand why hard core gun nuts don't want reasonable regulations on who can easily get a gun.

"Do Americans use guns only for self defense?"

We use them for murder and suicide mostly. For robberies and other such crimes too. We're versatile. :)

Of all uses for guns in America, self defense comes in last as far as frequency.

You are exactly right here:

"...the data suggest that overall, guns are used far more often for killing than self-defense."

Last edited:
"Do Americans use guns only for self defense?"

We use them for murder and suicide mostly. For robberies and other such crimes too. We're versatile. :)

Of all uses for guns in America, self defense is lowest in use, numerically.
What's this "we" shit? You've never owned or held a gun in your life.

Of course. I've had guns all my life. I never used one for self defense though. I still don't understand why hard core gun nuts don't want reasonable regulations on who can easily get a gun.
What "reasonable regulations" would you propose that would be effective in reducing crime?
The problem is that gun control freaks can never get past this one. Everything they propose has been tried and failed or it was illegal.

What "reasonable regulations" would you propose that would be effective in reducing crime?
The problem is that gun control freaks can never get past this one. Everything they propose has been tried and failed or it was illegal.

Right, and laws against theft don't stop everybody from stealing, but they are still a good thing

Right, and laws against theft don't stop everybody from stealing, but they are still a good thing
No you dont get it (and of course evaded answering).
Gun laws dont stop ANYBODY except people who obey the law. That much is clear.
Laws against theft arent designed to stop theft. They are designed to punish people who commit it.

More guns=less crime. That is certain.
No, we dont use guns just for self defense. Of all the guns I own I used one once to stop a crime. Most of them have been used in punching holes in paper, developing skills and knowledge, having fun with friends. Why people want to ban sporting goods is beyond me.
I partly agree. Restrictions on gun owning would only serve the criminals.

I deer hunt. But, if it came down to it, yes, I'd protect my property, family, and myself.

We have the 1968 gun law, so start by enforcing that, what's the left afraid of? To many drug addicts? Pill poppers? In your ranks?

If I find myself in a position where I need to protect myself, then of course I need a gun to do so. What would you use to protect yourself with?

Forum List

Back