Discipline

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by jimnyc, Oct 19, 2003.

1. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
  2. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Watched the video instead...tell you, my Husband ever came after me with a rod, he would get it shoved up his ass! banish me from the bed, who cares! but hit me with a rod, then he better sleep with one eye open! :)

3. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Full of peace and love. Boy would I like to get my hands on some of these REAL men, they would get a quick education in abuse !!!

4. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    It must be fake though, too many supporters here claim that Muslim women don't get mistreated. :rolleyes:

Eric, I can think of a few women here in the states that can take care of these cowards!

5. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I say we send Janeen !:rolleyes:

6. Spirit_Soul

Spirit_Soul Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    This type of "rod" behavior looks like the thumb rule commonly seen in stories like the Charlotte Perkins Gilman's stories . Even though there is no direct emphasis on the rob behavior of many husbands in that time period, the conflict in her stories itself is the total dominance of the male figure.

If we make domination be synonymous to power then domination in a realtionship would mean possession of this such as authority , influence and control.

The husbands usually have the most power in the east and eastern relationships because authority comes with financial power, influence is also facilitated with the power to control money in the relationship and control ofcourse is also money based.

Usually in these countries, the men work and women are made to watch over the children. Even though it is true that other way is also natural and perfectly fine (I think I know a couple who have a wonderful relationship even though the male is a house husband) .

Women are also not educated, I have been to India, even though in hindu families no one stops women from educating themselves, in muslim families in rural places of India, education for women is seen as a waste of time and money, because they have it in their scriptures that women only were made to take care of their children and a man who does not take care of his wife (financially) is a rascal.

So, the obvious subjugation of women in the eastern societies cause them to be prey to abuse, but I refuse to believe that this is due to Islam. Even though Islam advocates dependency of a woman over a man, it does not make her, his property. It also says that a person who does not keep his wife happy is also an unmanly person. I will get the references to these statements if you like.

I have read some parts of Quran, due to my curiosity, but I have not seen a verse that says "Man can abuse a woman and allah permits this".

Also, if you think Islam is the reason, even though it does not directly advocate the subjugation of women, then you should also look at chinese, japanese, Indian (patels), mongolian cultures where women are also subject to steriotypical rulings of the society. You should also look at America from 1800s up to 1960s ... you will see a great similarity between our culture and theirs.

So, please do not take culture and say "they are evil, they are demons" etc. thats not right.

7. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Wouldn't keeping the women from being free to work be a form of mistreatment? Please explain how the religion isn't part of this problem you speak of.

8. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    eric, thank you, I will go! I am not sure whether to believe that this happens or not, but I believe whether it be there or here, abuse is happening, and I would love to kick the ass of a man that would use a rod on his wife, that's horrible. I succeeded in kicking the ass of 2 twin brothers once, well, they were little dweebs, but I would love to take the rod of a guy that did that, and shove it up their ass, let them whine like babies and see how it felt.

9. aqeelabbas

aqeelabbas Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If you care to read the whole article...
    Its almost useless talking to these guys...
    I agree spirit soul since he knows better what happens in subcontinent..totally agreed..NOT THE RELIGIONS FAULT.. BUT SOCIETY...YOu guys only mention 2 or 3 quotes of Quran regarding women ..read the whole QUran you will then understand..but why would you? You consider ATTRACTION from WORD OF GOD as BRAIN WASHING..poor u!

10. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I did, and watched the video as well. Does it not depict abuse of Muslim women? Maybe not all, but don't try and tell me this abuse doesn't exist.

Isn't that enough? How many entries need there be before it is looked upon as mistreatment of women? Since there are only a few entries, that makes them ok?

Your constant defense of the treatment of Muslim women is what is poor. Defend those that don't participate in this activity, thats fine, but claiming it is false and doesn't exist at all only leads me to believe you have a blind eye to the facts.