Dilemma

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
So, my son turns 18 next month. He has one year of high school left because his birthday was 3 days after their cut off date for him to enter kindergarten. I had approached the powers that be back then and asked for him to enter but it was denied. So, now I have a kid that is technically an adult and I can't access school records and I can no longer access medical records. Upon reflection, I don't think any of these jack offs thought this through. So, I have an adult that is still dependent on the parent in order for him to complete this.

What the hell am I supposed to do with that?

So, my son turns 18 next month. He has one year of high school left because his birthday was 3 days after their cut off date for him to enter kindergarten. I had approached the powers that be back then and asked for him to enter but it was denied. So, now I have a kid that is technically an adult and I can't access school records and I can no longer access medical records. Upon reflection, I don't think any of these jack offs thought this through. So, I have an adult that is still dependent on the parent in order for him to complete this.

Make him sign a power of attorney giving you access to those things

He still lives under your roof

You make the rules

You may be the most awesome person that ever walked the planet. Thank you.

You make the rules

Yes. That he understands. I have a step ladder that I use just for finger wagging and such. He's a foot taller.

You make the rules

Not in legal matters.

What's this "may be" stuff :04:

Our family lawyer told me awhile back that he does 2 to 3 times as many powers of attorney for people in their teens and early 20's than he does for the elderly. Keeping kids on the parents insurance until they are 27 apparently has created a big demand for them as the kids still expect mom and dad to handle those sorts of things for them.

Our family lawyer told me awhile back that he does 2 to 3 times as many powers of attorney for people in their teens and early 20's than he does for the elderly. Keeping kids on the parents insurance until they are 27 apparently has created a big demand for them as the kids still expect mom and dad to handle those sorts of things for them.

Ok. You ARE the most awesome person that ever walked the planet.

I have a kid that wants to rule the world. He is really excited to be an adult and to be in control of his own destiny and I don't blame him one bit. But, legally I have nothing. I have pretty high expectations of him but to be fair those are my expectations. So, if we could just finish high school that would be great. He hasn't given any indication that he wants to quit but he could if he wanted to and there is nothing that I can do to prevent it. And senioritis. Clearly I am going to need access to the medical records-if only to laugh at the x-rays that have excellent shots of my foot stuck in inappropriate places.

Make as much noise as you can everywhere in town. Have fun with it and cause great inconvenience.

Ok. You ARE the most awesome person that ever walked the planet.

I have a kid that wants to rule the world. He is really excited to be an adult and to be in control of his own destiny and I don't blame him one bit. But, legally I have nothing. I have pretty high expectations of him but to be fair those are my expectations. So, if we could just finish high school that would be great. He hasn't given any indication that he wants to quit but he could if he wanted to and there is nothing that I can do to prevent it. And senioritis. Clearly I am going to need access to the medical records-if only to laugh at the x-rays that have excellent shots of my foot stuck in inappropriate places.

He needs one for you. He can revoke it if he wants later. You can sell him on it with doom and gloom stories, but practically it is better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Make as much noise as you can everywhere in town. Have fun with it and cause great inconvenience.
Not too much noise though. What goes around comes around and sadly not everyone can stay young forever. In other words, when a parent can not do for themselves anymore, how would they rather their kids deal with it? If the parent spent too much time in the earlier days mashing the wrong button hard enough and often enough.......the parents could be on their own.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. That is one thing that I have learned in my life thanks to my word I can't say of an older sister.

Reminds me of the day I called the university we’d recently dropped son #1 off at in order to find out how to arrange that I, the guy paying the tuition, was sent copies of his grades. The nice lady I spoke to assured me that would be no problem, after son stopped by the so-and-so office to fill out a form authorizing the university to keep dear dad in the GPA loop. All because he was an 18-year-old nearly penniless adult.

Forum List

Back