Did You Know the U.S. Had Troops in Siberia?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
th

The Hoover Institution has just released a series of diaries and photos from the American Expeditionary Force Siberia from 1918 to 1920/

I never, ever heard of it? And I've spent some time reading up on American armed forces history. I checked Wiki and its blurb wasn't all that big. :eusa_whistle:

Anyhow, read the brief release @ New Collection on US Intervention in Siberia, 1919?1920 | Hoover Institution

Yes, I knew this was the case.

After the Bolsheviks overthrew the Kerensky government, various western power initially attempted to keep Russia in the war by propping them up.

However, with Germany's surrender, there was no real reason to keep trying to keep them in the war. Also it became obvious that the people we were propping up had no chance of winning.

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=j0_UA5mdUJM]American Expeditionary Force Siberia in 1918: "AEF in Siberia" pt1-2 US Army The Big Picture - YouTube[/ame]

th

The Hoover Institution has just released a series of diaries and photos from the American Expeditionary Force Siberia from 1918 to 1920/

I never, ever heard of it? And I've spent some time reading up on American armed forces history. I checked Wiki and its blurb wasn't all that big. :eusa_whistle:

Anyhow, read the brief release @ New Collection on US Intervention in Siberia, 1919?1920 | Hoover Institution

American and Japanese troops formed the interventionist force in Siberia. Another American force joined British and French troops in Archangelsk. Originally the operations were intended to protect Allied supply depots from being used in the Russian Civil War. Later the Siberian expedition was tasked to help "rescue" the Czechoslovak Corps which had been "stranded" along 1000 miles of the Trans-Siberian Railway.

The American people were not aware of the secret protocols of the Allied treaties to divide up the world entered into 1915-1917, and Wilson, who probably suspected them, feigned ignorance. As these began to come out, most notably when the Bolshevik government published the treaties in the newspapers, the support for the American involvement evaporated. I believe there are 200-300 graves of US servicemen still in Russia from this episode.

Yup. Woodrow Wilson prolonged the Russian civil war unnecessarily. Another facet of our history the history books neglect because it doesn't propagate the prescribed myth of Merka.

th

Yes
Two very good books on the subject.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/History-American-Expedition-Fighting-Bolsheviki/dp/B003VTXWFW/ref=pd_sim_b_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ND9T8MR16VJZQ0TEC10]The History of the American Expedition Fighting the Bolsheviki - Campaigning in North Russia 1918-1919: Lewis E. Jahns: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Michigan-Polar-Bear-Confronts-Bolsheviks/dp/0802865208/ref=pd_sim_b_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ND9T8MR16VJZQ0TEC10]A Michigan Polar Bear Confronts the Bolsheviks: A War Memoir: Godfrey J. Anderson, Gordon Olson: 9780802865205: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Forum List

Back