Did anyone VOLUNTEER for Nam??

My dad did a 6 month TDY in Thailand, one full tour in Nam then off and on short deployments in Nam for a year and a half while we were in the Philippines.
I didn't learn until much later he was working on the prototype directional helmets for the gunships and radar technology.

My dad did a 6 month TDY in Thailand, one full tour in Nam then off and on short deployments in Nam for a year and a half while we were in the Philippines.
I didn't learn until much later he was working on the prototype directional helmets for the gunships and radar technology.

the Navy operated out of Subic bay PI.

the Navy operated out of Subic bay PI.

My dad was Air Force at the time, we were at Clark. I graduated HS in Taiwan and was sent to Subic to enlist, no enlistment station in Taiwan.

Yes, I did. What of it? About two-thirds of the troops serving in Vietnam were voluntarily enlisted, not draftees.

I recieved my draft notice, so I enlisted to beat the draft. Seemed to make sense at the time.

F-BNWTlk0ZNHx1HutW1fNg-1.jpg

Last edited:
didn't think so

I wanted it to go away

LBJs mess

bush did not, Cheney did not, Clinton did not, Herman Cain did not....

Most of us who did are not running for office, and don't want to. What's your point, U.S.; that most politicians are cowards and hypocrites? Gee, tell us something we didn't know!

Only clinton was a flat-out draft dodger.

Bush served in the NG. Cheney probably would have been 4-F even back then with his bad heart. Cain served in a military research lab.

The US abandoned the Saigon Embassy my sophomore year of high school, so I am not qualified to answer the question.
I did enlist in Uncle's canoe club just before graduation. I have 24 confirmed runs on the shit river bridge under my belt, and a Golden Shellback certificate on the wall.

A good friend of mine was in an arty unit in Alaska and hated it so much he volunteered for Nam. Spent most of his time shuttling between Phu Bai and Camrahn Bay.

Forum List

Back