DeVos saves money by sending back 10 mil worth of Grant Apps

I guess this is how the Dept. of Ed plans on cutting back their budget--by willy-nilly rejecting grant applications for minor formatting problems without even reading them.

Nice job, DeVos. Is this part of the new, improved Trump plan to remove silly regulations that gum up government agencies?

For the want of double spacing in a small section of a 65-page grant application, 109 low-income high-school students will be cut off from a program at Wittenberg University that has been providing them with tutoring and counseling to prepare them for college. And they’re not alone. Over the past few weeks at least 40 colleges and organizations with similar Upward Bound programs have also had their grant applications summarily rejected by the U.S. Department of Education for running afoul of rules on mandatory double-spacing rules, use of the wrong font, or other minor technical glitches.

Dozens of Colleges’ Upward Bound Applications Are Denied for Failing to Dot Every I

Univ. of Maine at Presque Isle was also affected; it is one of the best programs for promoting higher education that we have. This is ridiculous.
If they're too stupid to follow the application instructions, then they are also too stupid to get tax payer deficit money.
Dep. of Edu is being nitpicky. Damaging no one but the American citizens.
By wanting students to shit right?
What kind of precedent do you want to set for our youth? Be as irresponsible as you want and the government will wipe your ass?
They are being nitpicky by denying grants that are responsible for helping thousands of kids, over spacing errors. What students are shitting? who needs help wiping? Usually you are more put together than such a response.
"do shit right" sorry
If they cant even turn in an application correctly, why in the hell should they get special treatment? They are obviously stupid or don't care.

I guess this is how the Dept. of Ed plans on cutting back their budget--by willy-nilly rejecting grant applications for minor formatting problems without even reading them.

Nice job, DeVos. Is this part of the new, improved Trump plan to remove silly regulations that gum up government agencies?

For the want of double spacing in a small section of a 65-page grant application, 109 low-income high-school students will be cut off from a program at Wittenberg University that has been providing them with tutoring and counseling to prepare them for college. And they’re not alone. Over the past few weeks at least 40 colleges and organizations with similar Upward Bound programs have also had their grant applications summarily rejected by the U.S. Department of Education for running afoul of rules on mandatory double-spacing rules, use of the wrong font, or other minor technical glitches.

Dozens of Colleges’ Upward Bound Applications Are Denied for Failing to Dot Every I

Univ. of Maine at Presque Isle was also affected; it is one of the best programs for promoting higher education that we have. This is ridiculous.
If they're too stupid to follow the application instructions, then they are also too stupid to get tax payer deficit money.

Nope. Just making America great again by lowering the feed intake of the liberal trough.
We know that post secondary education = higher salaries over a lifetime. Upward Bound is a poverty buster and DeVos has just cut 10 mil in funds that helps young people explore what can give them a more secure economic future than food stamps and heating assistance for the rest of their lives.
There is no sense to cutting this program with these creative excuses for rejecting applications.
Upward bound does amazing things in my city. It shows inner city kids who may likely fall victim to gang culture that there is a way out, and a better future.
Around here it's fishermen's kids, clam diggers' kids, welfare bums and drug addicts' kids who get a peek into a door they never would have had opened without it. I agree with you it's awesome and $ well spent.

Nope. Just making America great again by lowering the feed intake of the liberal trough.
We know that post secondary education = higher salaries over a lifetime. Upward Bound is a poverty buster and DeVos has just cut 10 mil in funds that helps young people explore what can give them a more secure economic future than food stamps and heating assistance for the rest of their lives.
There is no sense to cutting this program with these creative excuses for rejecting applications.

That was the paradigm for the past few decades, however we do not have the data for the past 20 years or so to prove that statement as true anymore.
I don't know Marty--this article was by the Government in 2016. Seems to be current and still showing college education does significantly boost income over a lifetime.
ep_chart_001.png
There are plenty of studies that support the same. If someone is denying that, he have done no research.

Upward bound does amazing things in my city. It shows inner city kids who may likely fall victim to gang culture that there is a way out, and a better future.
Around here it's fishermen's kids, clam diggers' kids, welfare bums and drug addicts' kids who get a peek into a door they never would have had opened without it. I agree with you it's awesome and $ well spent.
Ocean gal, are ya?
I agree, provides opportunities otherwise out of reach.

What kind of precedent do you want to set for our youth? Be as irresponsible as you want and the government will wipe your ass?
They are being nitpicky by denying grants that are responsible for helping thousands of kids, over spacing errors. What students are shitting? who needs help wiping? Usually you are more put together than such a response.
"do shit right" sorry
If they cant even turn in an application correctly, why in the hell should they get special treatment? They are obviously stupid or don't care.
did you read the article and see the mistakes they were 'dinged' for?
I could see if the whole grant was typed space-and-a-half, or had too narrow margins or not the right font. But an insert graphics box?

Again, if the organization cannot follow simple application instructions, they lack the comprehensive capability to teach anyone much more than how to collect a free check.
yea lets deny opportunities to thousands of impoverished families over spacing technicalities you cruel fuck.

Nothing cruel about it you stupid leftard shit. The days of living from the public trough are ending. If the schools didn't teach them, replace the schools. If they can't or won't learn, throwing more money at the problem only enriches the union tutors.

That was the paradigm for the past few decades, however we do not have the data for the past 20 years or so to prove that statement as true anymore.
I don't know Marty--this article was by the Government in 2016. Seems to be current and still showing college education does significantly boost income over a lifetime.
ep_chart_001.png

It's missing the one critical item, underemployment. and considering it isn't broken down by age or at least years experience, I think its too much amalgamated data to truly come away with a valid comparison.

Again, if the organization cannot follow simple application instructions, they lack the comprehensive capability to teach anyone much more than how to collect a free check.
yea lets deny opportunities to thousands of impoverished families over spacing technicalities you cruel fuck.

Nothing cruel about it you stupid leftard shit. The days of living from the public trough are ending. If the schools didn't teach them, replace the schools. If they can't or won't learn, throwing more money at the problem only enriches the union tutors.
The days of living from the public trough are ending.
Then like minded folks like DeVos should be supporting Upward Bound, which helps a lot of kids get out of poverty. Aries says where she lives, it helps keep kids out of jail. So either way, it's less on our pocket books. Upward Bound does NOT pay for college and is not a liberal giveaway program. It doesn't "throw money" at anything.

"do shit right" sorry
I could see if the whole grant was typed space-and-a-half, or had too narrow margins or not the right font. But an insert graphics box?
Doesn't matter to me. Kids want help but don't want to do it right then screw em. Try again next year

ep_chart_001.png

It's missing the one critical item, underemployment. and considering it isn't broken down by age or at least years experience, I think its too much amalgamated data to truly come away with a valid comparison.
If underemployment were factored in, it would only make median weekly earnings higher, showing an even more dramatic increase in earnings with post secondary education.

Then like minded folks like DeVos should be supporting Upward Bound, which helps a lot of kids get out of poverty. Aries says where she lives, it helps keep kids out of jail. So either way, it's less on our pocket books. Upward Bound does NOT pay for college and is not a liberal giveaway program. It doesn't "throw money" at anything.
Then where does the money they were refused go? RaT campaign coffers like union dues?

"do shit right" sorry
Doesn't matter to me. Kids want help but don't want to do it right then screw em. Try again next year
Yeah, I know you don't care. You are making it very plain you have an attitude and you're sticking by it, no matter what.
The kids didn't write the grant proposals, the college did, as it has been doing for years. So did 43 other colleges that were also turned down over, basically, nothing. I'll talk to someone who does care about what this portends. I'm not just complaining because DeVos is a Republican. I'm concerned that they are using this nitpicking as a way to save money and lots of it at the Dept. of Education.

Then where does the money they were refused go? RaT campaign coffers like union dues?
I don't understand that question.

"do shit right" sorry
Yeah, I know you don't care. You are making it very plain you have an attitude and you're sticking by it, no matter what.
The kids didn't write the grant proposals, the college did, as it has been doing for years. So did 43 other colleges that were also turned down over, basically, nothing. I'll talk to someone who does care about what this portends. I'm not just complaining because DeVos is a Republican. I'm concerned that they are using this nitpicking as a way to save money and lots of it at the Dept. of Education.
Following the rules is nit picking?
You are right. I probably wont start to care. I have standards.
People cant receive help when they don't want to help themselves. PERIOD.

I don't understand that question.
They didn't understand the application instructions.

ep_chart_001.png

If underemployment were factored in, it would only make median weekly earnings higher, showing an even more dramatic increase in earnings with post secondary education.

Again, to me the data is to wide a set for practical analysis, and what needs to be divided out is the ages of the people in question.

"do shit right" sorry
Its not the kids! Its the administrations that are applying for the grants, which they've done successfully for a very long time. The Devos admin is being overly picky of technicalities like spacing margins, and denying these grants. Petty, and only hurting our kids.

ep_chart_001.png

Again, to me the data is to wide a set for practical analysis, and what needs to be divided out is the ages of the people in question.
What would break down by age show, do you think?

ep_chart_001.png

What would break down by age show, do you think?

it would show how much a degree helps people currently, without including all those people from back in the day when degrees were less common, and the marketplace didn't demand it for as many jobs.

She should read Trump's Tweets

Forum List

Back