Descartes had it backwards

Blues Man

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2016
The oft quoted Cogito ergo sum. I think therefore I am is all wrong.

I am therefore I think is far more appropriate as a description of the human condition.

The former has led to people actually believing they are their thoughts. This backwards interpretation of the human condition is one of the main reasons the world is a mess. If the world is a reflection of the beliefs people hold about themselves it is because people believe they are what they think they are.

People are not their thoughts. People are not the words they use to describe themselves.

This egocentric self is a fiction.

But that's not what Descartes was saying. He was denying everything but then had to recognize his own existence by necessity as the one denying everything. So he was saying "I am the one think therefore I can only be certain that the I exists"

But that's not what Descartes was saying. He was denying everything but then had to recognize his own existence by necessity as the one denying everything. So he was saying "I am the one think therefore I can only be certain that the I exists"
But the "I" does not exist

How do you know you "are"?

There is no you.

I am something but the minute we try to put a name to it we confuse the name with the something.

People are not their thoughts

Just like a wave isn't the ocean

There is a Zen story about this circular argument. A pupil presents himself to a master and starts off saying that he knows nothing exists and that all he is is just illusion, etc., etc. The master suddenly whacks him with a baton, provoking the student's anger. The question is then posed, "If nothing exists, where does this anger come from?"
Descartes was addressing the philosophical question of how to determine anything is "real". The statement that one must be because one senses being is not a definition of what, precisely, that one is. It is merely the starting point.

There is a Zen story about this circular argument. A pupil presents himself to a master and starts off saying that he knows nothing exists and that all he is is just illusion, etc., etc. The master suddenly whacks him with a baton, provoking the student's anger. The question is then posed, "If nothing exists, where does this anger come from?"
Descartes was addressing the philosophical question of how to determine anything is "real". The statement that one must be because one senses being is not a definition of what, precisely, that one is. It is merely the starting point.
And yet you are not your feelings. You are not the pain you feel when hit with a stick. You are not your emotions or your thoughts,

A body can be inured to pain.

So the real question is if one must be then what is that "one"? We identify as ourselves what is nothing but a mental construct that we use to interact with the environment. There is no self that is contained in any of the physical sensations our brains perceive thought our sensory systems. There is no self in the brain. There is nothing that is "you" that exists when the body dies.

It's all an illusion, a convenient illusion but still an illusion

And yet you are not your feelings. You are not the pain you feel when hit with a stick. You are not your emotions or your thoughts,

A body can be inured to pain.

So the real question is if one must be then what is that "one"? We identify as ourselves what is nothing but a mental construct that we use to interact with the environment. There is no self that is contained in any of the physical sensations our brains perceive thought our sensory systems. There is no self in the brain. There is nothing that is "you" that exists when the body dies.

It's all an illusion, a convenient illusion but still an illusion
To whom do you speak, and who is speaking?

Forum List

Back