Desantis signs radioactive waste for roads bill.

Ok. What do you think “conduct a study to evaluate the suitability of using phosphogypsum as a construction aggregate material.” means?
it means exactly what you just said it means,,,

you cant be that stupid,,, are you that stupid??

Ok. What do you think “conduct a study to evaluate the suitability of using phosphogypsum as a construction aggregate material.” means?
From my perspective, it means what it says: “conduct a study to evaluate the suitability of using phosphogypsum as a construction aggregate material.”

Would you agree that doing a study on it before using it is a better step to take than just using it without studying it first?

Last edited:
From my perspective, it means what it says: “conduct a study to evaluate the suitability of using phosphogypsum as a construction aggregate material.”

Would you agree that doing a study on it before using it is a better step to take than just using it without studying it first?
Well, this is interesting. The primary pollution from phosphogypsum is radon gas. Which is considered the second most common cause of lung cancer, behind smoking. However there are ways of remediating it. Being a biologist, this caught my eye:

Processing phosphate ore into phosphoric acid, which is predominantly used in fertilizer produces radioactive waste that has a 1600 year half life. That means in 1600 years, it will be half as active as it is right now. The material in question isn't much more than a decade or two old.

You hate Republicans
We get it.

It's poisoned Bulldog already.
It looks like technically it could made safe.

I'm not sure I trust the politicians to do that, though.

The other interesting thing, the article I read says it's transported as a slurry, which kinda means when they lay it down on the road it starts as a liquid and the it hardens, kind of like wet cement. So it probably comes out of something resembling a cement truck or a cement mixer. That there, is probably a bit of a hazard.

Radon accumulates in closed spaces. Every house sold in CA is tested for radon, especially if it's on or near a landfill. I'd like to see numbers. Gypsum radiation is considered low level, but with thousands of miles of it who knows. Yeah, they should test - it's hard to pull roads apart.

It looks like technically it could made safe.

I'm not sure I trust the politicians to do that, though.

The other interesting thing, the article I read says it's transported as a slurry, which kinda means when they lay it down on the road it starts as a liquid and the it hardens, kind of like wet cement. So it probably comes out of something resembling a cement truck or a cement mixer. That there, is probably a bit of a hazard.

Radon accumulates in closed spaces. Every house sold in CA is tested for radon, especially if it's on or near a landfill. I'd like to see numbers. Gypsum radiation is considered low level, but with thousands of miles of it who knows. Yeah, they should test - it's hard to pull roads apart.

I don't care.

n4EkcTh.gif

Spreading it out thin everywhere makes it 1000s of percents less dangerous and radioactive than concentrating it all in 1 place.

Mosaic has learned this since that big fiasco several years back. I forget the name of the site.

Possibly in Polk county?
Sprinkle some on your corn flakes, Beavis.

It's not very dangerous, Bodey, the more it's spread out and mixed with limerock and asphalt, the less dangerous it is.

Please stay wherever the fuck you are. Your kind are not needed in FL.
Sprinkle some on your shit sandwich now that DuhSantis is a flaming out asshole.

Actually, I agree with that it should be used for road fill.
The radioactivity of phosphogypsum is no more than any beach where evaporating ocean water causes natural uranium in the ocean water to accumulate.

{...
Phosphogypsum (PG) is the calcium sulfate hydrate formed as a by-product of the production of fertilizer from phosphate rock. It is mainly composed of gypsum (CaSO4·2H2O). Although gypsum is a widely used material in the construction industry, phosphogypsum is usually not used, but is stored indefinitely because of its weak radioactivity caused by the presence of naturally occurring uranium (U) and thorium (Th), and their daughter isotopes radium (Ra), radon (Rn) and polonium (Po). On the other hand it includes several valuable components—calcium sulphates and elements such as silicon, iron, titanium, magnesium, aluminum, and manganese.[1] However, the long-range storage of phosphogypsum is controversial.[2] About five tons of phosphogypsum are generated per ton of phosphoric acid production. Annually, the estimated generation of phosphogypsum worldwide is 100 to 280 million metric tons.[3]
Phosphogypsum is radioactive due to the presence of naturally occurring uranium (5–10 ppm) and thorium, and their daughter nuclides radium, radon, polonium, etc. Marine-deposited phosphate typically has a higher level of radioactivity than igneous phosphate deposits, because uranium is present in seawater at about 3 ppb (roughly 85 ppb of total dissolved solids). Uranium is concentrated during the formation of evaporite deposits as dissolved solids precipitate in order of solubility with easily dissolved materials such as sodium chloride remaining in solution longer than less soluble materials like uranium or sulfates.
Various applications have been proposed for using phosphogypsum, including using it as material for:
According to Taylor (2009), "up to 15% of world PG production is used to make building materials, as a soil amendment and as a set controller in the manufacture of Portland cement". The rest remains in stack.[3]
...}

Lol I have no idea what the answer is. I don’t pretend to know. All that matters is that you can’t answer a question YOU asked.

Lol I have no idea what the answer is.

So, you don't know if it's a huge hazard or no hazard at all.

I don’t pretend to know.

Neither do I.

Well, this is interesting. The primary pollution from phosphogypsum is radon gas. Which is considered the second most common cause of lung cancer, behind smoking. However there are ways of remediating it. Being a biologist, this caught my eye:

The primary pollution from phosphogypsum is radon gas.

That would seem to indicate that using it indoors might be a bad idea, using it outdoors
might not be so bad.

I believe the danger or radon is mostly from the fact it collects in basements.
It is was released from roadbed, it would not be harmful I think.

Lol I have no idea what the answer is.

So, you don't know if it's a huge hazard or no hazard at all.

I don’t pretend to know.

Neither do I.
I know it's not, and that it's a very good idea.

It's better and more safe than asbestos in Federal buildings, I'll tell you that! :D

Which half of the entire US Federal buildings probably still have.

Definitely the ones like McVeigh bombed have asbestos all over above the drop ceilings.

I know, that's how it went. He didn't bomb the one that looks like that where I'm from, but above them drop ceilings,

there's blown asbestos on everything. Fire pipes, the whole upper is blown asbestos.

And many have asbestos 9" tile on the floor, too!

If tile is 9" square? It's asbestos.

My old house was tiled with 9" asbestos tiles.

Last edited:
How can they study and test a road without building a road? What about determining how it will stand up to traffic? are they going to buy a bunch of cars, and pay people to drive on their test road for a few months? Explain how you think all that will work.
As you know, there is no danger from radiation, as desperate as you are to say otherwise. The importance of the tests will be if the material is suitable and effective.

Forum List

Back