Denture wearers..

pacer

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2013
I may need bottom dentures within the near future and I am terrified. How long does it take to get used to them and how soon can one talk normally? I was told bottom dentures float? What exactly does that mean? Do they shift when you talk? If and when that day comes, I was considering implant supported dentures but read a few horror stories. Also, they are terribly cost prohibitive. Can someone share their experience?

I may need bottom dentures within the near future and I am terrified. How long does it take to get used to them and how soon can one talk normally? I was told bottom dentures float? What exactly does that mean? Do they shift when you talk? If and when that day comes, I was considering implant supported dentures but read a few horror stories. Also, they are terribly cost prohibitive. Can someone share their experience?

I've had dentures for about 10 yrs now....and it was the best thing I ever did! I had problems with my teeth for years, I had degenerating bond disease and had soooo many problems, toothaches, I was really suffering! I slowly had teeth removed as they went bad, I finally just had them remove all the rest and got the dentures. It was not fun, but it was well worth it! I got temporary dentures at first, and they were immediate, so when I had the teeth pulled they put the dentures right in. Get ready to eat soup and other soft things, maybe french fries. It took about a week for me to get used to them enough to eat better. I always use a denture adhesive (Fixodent is the best), just so when I eat they don't move on me. I can eat even corn on the cob without problems. The temporary ones are a pain, but once you get permanent they're great! But get a GOOD DENTIST! It makes a big difference~

Thank you so much for replying, Caroljo. What do you mean by temporary dentures. Will I be able to function (as in talk) immediately?

You will have to adjust. I was going to get dentures because the cancer meds were doing a number on my teeth. But then I decided to keep my teeth the best I can...which are doing fine, now that I stopped the meds. Quality..not quantity, says I.

Eventually I may have to go with dentures IF the probs return but I don't see that happening. My dentist told me I would hate them...no taste, hard to navigate for awhile, mouth sores and gum sores. He said he would love to get the money from me for them, but in my best interests, he would rather we just work to keep the teeth I got. So I did.

I've had dentures for about 10 yrs now....and it was the best thing I ever did! I had problems with my teeth for years, I had degenerating bond disease and had soooo many problems, toothaches, I was really suffering! I slowly had teeth removed as they went bad, I finally just had them remove all the rest and got the dentures. It was not fun, but it was well worth it! I got temporary dentures at first, and they were immediate, so when I had the teeth pulled they put the dentures right in. Get ready to eat soup and other soft things, maybe french fries. It took about a week for me to get used to them enough to eat better. I always use a denture adhesive (Fixodent is the best), just so when I eat they don't move on me. I can eat even corn on the cob without problems. The temporary ones are a pain, but once you get permanent they're great! But get a GOOD DENTIST! It makes a big difference~

I have the same problems and am debating dentures also. My mother had the ones that they drill into your bone, but when she needed a root canal they had to take some of them out. My Step Dad has partials until he got dentures.
I have only one molar left on the top, call it chomper champ. But I do have to watch what I eat and the size of bites I take.

That is what I have been doing for a number of years, Gracie, hanging onto the teeth I have. It took years of bonding. The bonding would crack and I would be back and forth to the dentist to rebond. The teeth are still hanging in there but I have to be very careful. I'm so worried about how I will function. I have a few things coming up. I would be so humiliated if the teeth flopped around in my mouth. hahahaha

Do the dentures, forget the implants.

It will cost less and take only a week to become comfortable with.

Make sure by the end of the first week that they fit comfortably. If not, keep going back to your "fitter". They want them to work as well, because they will want your informal endorsement, like you are getting here.

Thank you JakeStarkey. I'm not going to get implants...much too expensive, as you say, and too many horror stories. I will make sure the denturist knows I will be reporting his workmanship back to this board. haha

A friend of mine got dentures about a year ago. He could talk pretty normally once he got use to them, he sounded normal in less than a week. After you teeth get pulled that gum area where the teeth were shrinks, so you'll probably need to get the dentures adjusted for the long haul after 9 months to a year.
I'm not a dentist but I play one on TV.

My dentist tried to convince me to go without dentures for approximately 3-4 months so the bone can heal and shrink and THEN take an impression which would be much more accurate and would fit much better and would probably not need and reline months later. I cannot do that, I don't think.

The advice makes sense if you are a hermit in a cave in a mountain far far away in another galaxy in a parallel universe.

You would be continuing in your personal and social life while your mouth would be adjusting.

You would lose twenty to thirty pounds in that time if you were not eating ice cream or drinking sugar soda.

You will have to adjust. I was going to get dentures because the cancer meds were doing a number on my teeth. But then I decided to keep my teeth the best I can...which are doing fine, now that I stopped the meds. Quality..not quantity, says I.

Eventually I may have to go with dentures IF the probs return but I don't see that happening. My dentist told me I would hate them...no taste, hard to navigate for awhile, mouth sores and gum sores. He said he would love to get the money from me for them, but in my best interests, he would rather we just work to keep the teeth I got. So I did.

"Love to get the money"? Buy a set of critical thinking skills. Your dentist makes tons more money 'fixing' your teeth than losing you to dentures. :lol:

Thank you so much for replying, Caroljo. What do you mean by temporary dentures. Will I be able to function (as in talk) immediately?

Well the "rest" of the story is....since I didn't want to go without any teeth while my gums were healing, I was supposed to get "immediate" dentures, which I did. But my dentist at the time was not good at explaining things (and later was arrested for being high while working!!!!!), and he never told me what I had were temporary ones. I spent a lot of money on them and told him if I'd known I had to have temporary ones I would have gone to Dentures in a Day and got cheaper ones! His only answer to that was "no shit". Needless to say it was the last time he saw me! So you really want to ask questions!! Anyway, they never really fit right either...so I went to another dentist (which just shook his head!) and I got a set that are PERFECT! I've had them quite a few years and have no problems. If you have problems with your teeth....I went through a lot of pain with mine...you will not be sorry. AND you can bite into ice cream and not feel a thing! Lol!

If you're teeth are still pretty good, I wouldn't have done it either. But with my bone disease and all the pain I had to do something. Ya, it takes a while to get adjusted to it but I have no problems. I don't get sores at all (knock on wood). So for me it was the best thing to do. But everyone's different...

"Love to get the money"? Buy a set of critical thinking skills. Your dentist makes tons more money 'fixing' your teeth than losing you to dentures. :lol:

That's true!! I haven't had to go to the dentist in YEARS!

I have the same problems and am debating dentures also. My mother had the ones that they drill into your bone, but when she needed a root canal they had to take some of them out. My Step Dad has partials until he got dentures.
I have only one molar left on the top, call it chomper champ. But I do have to watch what I eat and the size of bites I take.

I've heard about those...in fact my son now is looking into it. But I don't think I could do that since I had the bone disease to start with. So I'm not sure if he can either. They sound like they would be better if you can do it, but I'm happy with what I got. It can be a pain in the butt sometimes because I always have to have denture cream, especially when I'm eating. But you get used to that!

Forum List

Back