Dems Would Get More Blame Over Govt Shutdown

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Dont Taz Me Bro, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,544
    This is exactly what I suspected would be the case if a government shut down were to occur. The Democrats seem to have been thinking they could score political points because the last shut down hurt the GOP, but this is not like 1995. The Republicans controlled both chambers of Congress that year. This time they only have the House. The Dems have the Senate and the White House and the Senate adjourned before the budget was even sent to them last week to vote on it. The American public would seem to recognize that a government shut down would be on the shoulders of both parties, not just the one like before. It sounds like the Senate Democrats are starting to come to that conclusion as well, or always knew that and were just bluffing to see if the Republicans would back away from the $60 billion in cuts.

2. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Keep wishing.

If you shut it down you will get blamed

3. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    Why would Democrats get blamed? Prior to the GOP taking control of the House again, the government had no problems staying open. Immediately following the GOP takeover, rumors begin of a shut down. You do the math.

4. Dont Taz Me Bro

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,544
    Why would I get blamed? I'm not an elected member of Congress. Furthermore, what do you base this assumption on?

5. Dont Taz Me Bro

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,544
    Take your own advice. I have done the math and apparently so have a lot of the people polled. The Republicans were swept into control with historical support to get spending under control. They are attempting to do that and the Democrats are the ones standing in the way. The Republicans only control the House. The Democrats control the Senate. For some reason you and the other partisans seem to think that only the Republicans have to compromise with the Democrats over the budget despite the fact they are doing what they were elected to do. Why do the Democrats not have to compromise? They lost the election and I seem to remember many people on left following the 2008 election told the Republicans and conservatives to take a seat and shut up because they lost and accused them to being obstructionists when they stood in the way of the Obama agenda. Now the shoe is on the other foot and yet strangely these rules no longer apply.

The American people see what is happening here and the poll validates it. If the Democrats take the advice of you and TM, which they appear not to be now, it will be to their own detriment. Boehner has repeatedly stated he doesn't want a shut down to occur, whereas the Democrats like Schmuck Schumer are publicly encouraging it. People see what's happening here.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,504
    Why do government shut downs only occur when Republicans take control of the House?

7. Dont Taz Me Bro

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,544
  8. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,130
    What you're missing is that the people aren't the same as in 1995, they've woken up. Folks are much more attuned to and pay attention to all things political these days and with the internet, it makes it that much easier for us . . . and that much harder for the pols to play ball-as-usual.

I honestly don't know what part of the Nov massive Rep sweep the Dems and RINOs aren't getting. If they don't listen to us they will be booted asap, regardless of party.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Rass is a tool

10. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233