Dems Threaten Going Super Nuclear

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Annie, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Should be intesting, blackmail and all:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050315/ap_on_go_co/senate_judges

2. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Great! Do it! Let's not spend any money on non-critical programs!!! Is this what we've needed to do all along to turn Democrats into fiscal conservatives?

Seriously, though, who the hell cares what Harry Reid wants? He and his other 44 Dems are on the losing end of every battle they want to fight.

3. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,157
    Haha i totally agree! Let them block all unnecessary legislation. In fact i wish the Republiacns joined them for that!

Basically from reading the article the only real change i see in the Democrat policy is no longer blocking important legislation. Its about time they started thinking of America first.

4. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    i'll open up this can of worms again, but why wasn't there such an uproar when the republicans blocked 60 of clintons nominees yet blocking 10 of bush's is tantamount to treason?

5. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616

And I will answer like I did last time. Just because the Republicans have been more successful in their spin than the Democrats doesn't mean that it isn't exactly that or that it is particularly evil. The Democrats screamed bloody murder when their candidates were blocked and the Repubs do as well. It is called politics and both sides will forever be party to it.

6. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    I also think it's worth mentioning that the federal judiciary is an institution in crisis at this point. The Constituion, and it's concept of the separation of powers, has been perverted beyond recognition - just as some of the framers (Jefferson and Hamilton, to name two) feared it could be. Perhaps the most important question an American can ask THIS CENTURY is, "Is this nominee going to be part of the problem or part of the solution?" I'm not saying that all Republican choices in this regard have been good ones (there have been some severe disappointments), But, let's be honest here. Overall, which party do you think believes more strongly in strict adherence to the constitutional design of the separation of powers - and which do you think would like to see more legislating from the bench?

7. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Some of the seats that Bush is trying to fill right now(4th circuit for one) are seats that clinton tried to fill and orrin hatch said that there was no crisis. This is really nothing more than another blatant attempt to align the judicial branch to the conservative side instead of interpreting the constitution and law.

currently? obviously from the left, but these 10 nominees from the rebublicans should even the score. soon we'll have both sides legislating from the bench.

8. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533

Do you really believe that, STY - in view of the behaviors of the respective parties across our lifetimes?

9. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Can you give me an example of a truly conservative judge legislating from the bench? It seems to me it would be a betrayal of the principles of conservatism.

10. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Justice Priscilla Owen

Before joining the court, Owen was a partner at the Houston firm Andrews & Kurth, where she represented primarily large corporations, including oil and pipeline interests. On the Texas Supreme Court, she has tended to distort or rewrite the law to reach desired results, voting consistently to dismiss the claims of injured workers and consumers and citizens wishing to protect the environment. In addition, prior to her nomination to the Fifth Circuit, she never voted to grant a minor a judicial bypass under Texas' Parental Notification Statute. The Houston Chronicle wrote that her "interpretations [in these cases] were generally stricter and more conservative than the majority of her all-Republican colleagues" on the court. Indeed, White House Counsel Alberto Gonzales, then a fellow Justice, called one of her dissents in a bypass case "an unconscionable act of judicial activism."*

*Flood, Mary, "Judicial Nominee Takes Issue with Conservative Label", Houston Chronicle, May 10, 2001