Dems Plan On Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Annie, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    They haven't one, that's the problem. So this is what you get:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/diary/?id=110008535

2. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    The Dems have one plan and one plan only...oust the Republicans. Of course, they have no steenkin idea of how to do that either. I have yet to see a comprehensive plan on how they are going to handle ANY of the issues facing this country....all I see from the Dems is a lot of buzz words with no substance behind them.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Lots of less than buzz words. One only had to see Murtha on Sunday programs to know that. I'm trying to get a video clip which is so sad, it'd be funny if the risks weren't so damn high.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

Here's some commentary, :laugh: with links, including video:

http://www.proteinwisdom.com/index.php/weblog/entry/20553/#comments

Sunday, June 18, 2006
    Help Wanted (UPDATED with video)

What follows is an excerpt from a June 18 transcript of “Meet the Press,” featuring a Tim Russert interview with Rep John Murtha (D-PA) that I’m hoping somebody will please translate for me. Because I’m afraid I don’t speak Murtha—which I’d previously assumed was a variant of English, but after reading the transcript, I’m no longer sure about even that much:

MR. RUSSERT: You say redeploy. Again, Mr. Rove challenges that comment.

Let’s listen and give you again a chance to respond to the White House.

(Videotape, Monday):

MR. ROVE: Congressman Murtha said, “Let’s redeploy them immediately to another country in the Middle East. Let’s get out of Iraq and go to another country.” My question is, what country would take us? What country would say after the United States cut and run from Iraq, what country in the Middle East would say, “Yeah. Paint a big target on our back and then you’ll cut and run on us.” What country would say that? What country would accept our troops?

(End videotape)

MR. RUSSERT: What’s your response?

REP. MURTHA: There’s many countries understand the importance of stability in the Middle East. This is an international problem. We, we use 20 million barrels of oil a day. China’s the second largest user. All these countries understand you need stability for the energy supply that’s available in the Middle East. So there’s many, many countries.

MR. RUSSERT: Who?

REP. MURTHA: Kuwait’s one that will take us. Qatar, we already have bases in Qatar. So Bahrain. All those countries are willing to take the United States. Now, Saudi Arabia won’t because they wanted us out of there in the first place. So—and we don’t have to be right there. We can go to Okinawa. We, we don’t have—we can redeploy there almost instantly. So that’s not—that’s, that’s a fallacy. That, that’s just a statement to rial up people to support a failed policy wrapped in illusion.

MR. RUSSERT: But it’d be tough to have a timely response from Okinawa.

REP. MURTHA: Well, it—you know, they—when I say Okinawa, I, I’m saying troops in Okinawa. When I say a timely response, you know, our fighters can fly from Okinawa very quickly. And—and—when they don’t know we’re coming. There’s no question about it. And, and where those airplanes won’t—came from I can’t tell you, but, but I’ll tell you one thing, it doesn’t take very long for them to get in with cruise missiles or with, with fighter aircraft or, or attack aircraft, it doesn’t take any time at all. So we, we have done—this one particular operation, to say that that couldn’t have done, done—it was done from the outside, for heaven’s sakes.

Okinawa? Okinawa?

That’s, like, in Japan, isn’t it?

Which makes me wonder if, in speaking of quick strike troops redeployed outside of Iraq, Murtha isn’t overhyping to ability of the military just a bit. Or perhaps it’s just the laws of physics he’s overhyping. And he’s doing so, ironically, because the military is in his estimation unable to fight well enough when they are able to confront the enemy directly.

All of which seems rather bizarre to me.

Likewise, Murtha spends a lot of time noting that operations against Zarqawi (who, incidentally, he claims we “built up”—though Nick Berg’s head might tell a different tale) and other successful operations were performed “from the outside”—proof that we can pull troops from inside Iraq and still help the Iraqis control the country.

Of course, by “outside,” Murtha seems to mean something like, “from the air”—his argument being that because we bombed Zarqawi’s safe house from the sky rather than bumrushing it with ground troops, we can effectively fight the insurgency from bases outside the country without fear of the insurgents taking any strongholds.

Except for the strongholds that already have.

So the question becomes one of military judgment. And I’m still not clear what it is that makes Murtha’s military strategy (which is based around the idea that Iraq is embroiled in a civil war) more sound than that of the Generals and the DoD, who one suspects (indeed, who one hopes) are much better informed and more intricately involved with the operations than is Murtha himself—who, let’s remember, seems to find a quick strike force from Japan a viable alternative to working closely inside Iraq with Iraqi forces whom we are training even as we fight alongside them, and who are providing us with more and more intelligence, leading to somewhere in the neighborhood of 450-460 raids since Zarqawi’s death.

But as I say, I don’t seem able to speak “Murtha.” So if someone would please explain his thinking to me, I’d be much obliged. Because frankly? I hate being out of the loop.

(h/t Tom, via email)

update: More from Froggy, writing at Blackfive.

update 2: Video available at Expose The Left

update 3: Michelle Malkin and Glenn Reynolds both have excellent roundups.

5. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Now that is just too funny to be true! Okinawa???? I am convinced more each day that Murtha has lost his marbles.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Agreed. Funniest thing I found on that last night were these:

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2006/06/the_zarqawi_ope.html

and this:
    http://justoneminute.typepad.com/main/2006/06/oooooooookinawa.html

7. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    I am beginning to suspect that Murtha has abandoned his Marine background and gone completely over to the lure of politics. It has been many decades since he has been on the ground and in the foxhole....that coupled with his overexposure to the political scene has really really put him out of touch. Just my opinion of course.

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I can't help myself:

[​IMG]

9. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    "Cut and Run" is the Bush Administration's strategy for Iraq. As shrapnel from IED's cuts the flesh of our troops to the bone, their blood runs freely, saturating Iraqs soil.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770