Democrats continue to assault this republic

(R)IGHTeous 1

GOPROUD
Dec 5, 2010
southeast Pennsylvania
Republicans Charge Harry Reid Power Grab on Filibuster
By Paul Bedard
Posted: January 4, 2011

The Washington Post writes it off as a minor "tweak," but Senate Republicans today charged that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is mounting an unprecedented "power grab" that will essentially eliminate use of the filibuster in many cases like fighting liberal Supreme Court nominations.

"It would forever change the nature of the Senate and constitute a naked partisan power grab. Such a move would disrespect our bipartisan system and the will of the American people," says a memo from the Senate Republican Policy Committee, headed by potential presidential candidate Sen. John Thune.

At issue is a bid by Reid to change the filibuster rules this week by a simple majority, 51, instead of the traditional two thirds. Since Reid's party controls 53 seats (51 Democrats and independents Joe Lieberman of Connectictut and Bernie Sanders of Vermont), they could institute the change over GOP opposition.

Republicans Charge Harry Reid Power Grab on Filibuster - US News and World Report

Show me where that Filibuster clause for Senate debate is in the Consitution!

But Harry had better watch out. It is a double edge sword. Be carefull what you ask for, you just might get it, or rather come the next election cycle it might just be the Republican who can override the Dems filibuster!

By Paul Bedard

The Washington Post writes it off as a minor "tweak," but Senate Republicans today charged that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is mounting an unprecedented "power grab" that will essentially eliminate use of the filibuster in many cases like fighting liberal Supreme Court nominations.

"It would forever change the nature of the Senate and constitute a naked partisan power grab. Such a move would disrespect our bipartisan system and the will of the American people," says a memo from the Senate Republican Policy Committee, headed by potential presidential candidate Sen. John Thune.

At issue is a bid by Reid to change the filibuster rules this week by a simple majority, 51, instead of the traditional two thirds. Since Reid's party controls 53 seats (51 Democrats and independents Joe Lieberman of Connectictut and Bernie Sanders of Vermont), they could institute the change over GOP opposition.

Republicans Charge Harry Reid Power Grab on Filibuster - US News and World Report

The filibuster has been abused. You used to have to stay on the floor to do it. Now you just have to declare it, then you can go get cocktails.

But until it passes, and gets past the filibuster, it's a moot point. Reid can't say "you can't buster this one b/c I say so!" That would cause a long term backlash with people that like this age old tradition, and the dems would fall from grace (further).

so it's a win-win even if he just tries.

The Republicans have shown they cannot be trusted with a filibuster. Children who abuse their privileges deserve to lose them

I think the 60 vote requirement for closing argument is a good one, RW. However, a simply majority is all that is required to have the opponents stand, filibuster, and hold the floor. This puts everybody on record for the American people, and allows the issue to fully vetted.

I think the 60 vote requirement for closing argument is a good one, RW. However, a simply majority is all that is required to have the opponents stand, filibuster, and hold the floor. This puts everybody on record for the American people, and allows the issue to fully vetted.

Make them actually hold the floor then.

Having to have 60% approval for a 50% vote is Bull Shit

By Paul Bedard

The filibuster has been abused. You used to have to stay on the floor to do it. Now you just have to declare it, then you can go get cocktails.

But until it passes, and gets past the filibuster, it's a moot point. Reid can't say "you can't buster this one b/c I say so!" That would cause a long term backlash with people that like this age old tradition, and the dems would fall from grace (further).

You're incorrect TT, a change to the rules for a new session only requires a simple majority. It's not the same as a bill.

:lol::lol:

When did it become "traditional" to have a 2/3 requirement on getting rules changed..or legislation voted upon?

Oh wait..over the last 2 years. 275 times.:lol:

Show me where that Filibuster clause for Senate debate is in the Consitution!

But Harry had better watch out. It is a double edge sword. Be carefull what you ask for, you just might get it, or rather come the next election cycle it might just be the Republican who can override the Dems filibuster!

The rule changes are needed. They aren't doing away with the Filibuster. And if anyone really really wants it back to the old way..they can reverse this.

The Republicans have shown they cannot be trusted with a filibuster. Children who abuse their privileges deserve to lose them

While I couldn't agree more, I don't see how there's much political capital to be gained by killing it for this session. Dems already lost the House and statistically (based on who's up for re-election) will probably lose the Senate next year; Whether or not they retake the House, it's unlikely they'll be holding on to both again before '14.

:lol::lol:

When did it become "traditional" to have a 2/3 requirement on getting rules changed..or legislation voted upon?

Oh wait..over the last 2 years. 275 times.:lol:

Senate rules are Senate rules

If the rule says you need 60% to break a filibuster than that is the rule

If the rules say you can change the rules with a 50% vote then that is the new rule

By Paul Bedard

I agree the filibuster's been abused. There basically isn't a filibuster anymore. They made the filibuster so easy it can be trotted out for every single bill. I don't know that I agree with a simple majority to fake override a fake filibuster, but I can't see the point in working up an argument since it is, after all, just a fake filibuster. Who cares?

Last edited:

And it cost us billions of dollars in lost salarys while the right dickweeds sip cocktails.

Make them actually hold the floor then.

Having to have 60% approval for a 50% vote is Bull Shit

Personally, I think every bill should have to have 60 votes to pass the Senate. Since it's incredibly rare for either party to hold 60 seats, that would force bipartisan compromise.

By Paul Bedard

The Senate is responsible for making its own rules, including the use of the filibuster. In fact, the filibuster hasn't always been around. It's come and gone throughout American history.

Forum List

Back