Democrat Durbin Deceives on Doctrine

PoliticalChic:

Contrary to what has been said, the money that supports talk radio, most of it conservative, is the advertising revenue based on the huge numbers of listeners. And this amendment will not curb opinion on the other side on TV, print media or any other publications. Only talk radio. Talk radio, there the dynamics are identical to what takes place on this board.

The amendment specifically states that it covers Broadcast TV and Radio?

Durbin said his proposal would encourage more women and minorities to apply for radio and TV ownership.

also:

“To argue what I am putting here is a dramatic change in the law, is going to somehow muzzle Rush Limbaugh — that’s not the case,” said Durbin during a floor debate with DeMint.

“No one is suggesting that the law for the Federal Communications Commission says that you can give this license to a Republican and this one to a Democrat and this one to a liberal and this one to a conservative.

“When we talk about diversity in media ownership it relates primarily to gender, race and other characteristics of that nature,” Durbin said.

How do you envision this hurting Rush Limbaugh, do you know?

The Senate voted Thursday in favor of an amendment to the District of Columbia voting-rights bill that would prohibit the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) from reinstating the so-called Fairness Doctrine, which critics say would decimate conservative talk radio.

The Senate passed the measure 87-11.

Where is the 87-11 figure coming from? I found this on the US Senate's own website.

U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote

Looks like PC posted an accurate article.

The Senate voted Thursday in favor of an amendment to the District of Columbia voting-rights bill that would prohibit the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) from reinstating the so-called Fairness Doctrine, which critics say would decimate conservative talk radio.

Where is the 87-11 figure coming from? I found this on the US Senate's own website.

Two different bills. One put the kibosh on the fairness doctrine, the other encourages diverse ownership of media outlets.

I don't see where that's a "fairness doctrine" issue. It's a monopolistic ownership issue. I'll look again, but I don't see it.

It comes directly out of PC's article.. did you read it?

roflmao,, the new buzzword for fairness doctrine is now media diversity??? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

It comes directly out of PC's article.. did you read it?

Yes, I did. And I posted the numbers from the senate website. I don't see the reason for confusion here.

maybe I am confused by your confusion,, they had two different version running in the senate yesterday,, durbins and DeMint's.. both passed didn't they?

(Channeling RGS) Again, for the slow...two different bills. One put the kibosh on the fairness doctrine. The other promotes diversified OWNERSHIP of media outlets.

(Channeling RGS) Again, for the slow...two different bills. One put the kibosh on the fairness doctrine. The other promotes diversified OWNERSHIP of media outlets.

We suddenly need diversified ownership of media outlets because ? ......

Again, for the slow...two different bills. One put the kibosh on the fairness doctrine. The other promotes the fairness doctrine!

because we always HAD diversified ownership of the PUBLIC airways.... until Bush's buddies were allowed a pass.

it's generally considered a good thing for INFORMATION to come from more than one source.

Again, for the slow...two different bills. One put the kibosh on the fairness doctrine. The other promotes the fairness doctrine!

try reading (and understanding)... Ravi is right. I know the right wants Newscorp to own everything, but that's not how we do things in this country.

...because we see how republican deregulation of media ownership has resulted in a concentration of owners rather than the diversification of media sources. for christs sake, how much American media do you want Rupert Murdoch to own?

OK, I see what Ravi is saying. I assumed that Durbin is who we were talking about because Durbin is the one that was prominently mentioned.

because we always HAD diversified ownership of the PUBLIC airways.... until Bush's buddies were allowed a pass.

it's generally considered a good thing for INFORMATION to come from more than one source.
Well, unless you're a right wing nut. ;)

That's their DUmbazz way of saying they want the fairness doctrine back because they know no one would willingly listen to their shit as proved by the distinct inability of theirs to attract sponsors,, so they use the stupit word "diversity" to ram the shit down your throat..

they are master at pissing down your back and telling you it's raining..

Last edited:

Ummm, it's much easier to find a liberal POV than a conservative one, regarding media outlets. So the left will not rest until THEY have a monopoly ? .... :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back