Democrat Durbin Deceives on Doctrine

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
This is a call to arms! Just as Yankee fans and Red Sox fans fought shoulder to shoulder in America’s Wars, and now is the time for all of us to close ranks to support the America that we all know and love. Disagree though we will as liberals and conservatives, we should all be ready to confront the excesses of an administration that would infract our Constitution and fly in the face of America’s values.

In the Senate yesterday, an amendment was floated that would endanger opposition talk radio. Yes, talk. Imagine, the administration has commissioned “the First Friend,” Dick Durbin of Illinois to write an amendment:

“The Senate voted along party lines Thursday to adopt an amendment sponsored by Sen. Dick Durbin (Ill.), the second-ranking Democrat in the chamber, that directs the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to “promote diversity in communication media ownership and to ensure that broadcast station licenses are used in the public interest.”

TheHill.com - Conservatives ask: Is Durbin going after Limbaugh?

Contrary to what has been said, the money that supports talk radio, most of it conservative, is the advertising revenue based on the huge numbers of listeners. And this amendment will not curb opinion on the other side on TV, print media or any other publications. Only talk radio. Talk radio, there the dynamics are identical to what takes place on this board.

Politics is a blood sport, and Illinois politics is known to be bare knuckles, but what we are seeing here is a naked attempt to censor the voices on the right.

Controlling two of the branches of government, the Democrats will be successful in passing this poison pill.

Are our friends on the left going to stand by, or even gloat? Or will we see a reaction that that will mark all of us as Americans?

This is a call to arms! Just as Yankee fans and Red Sox fans fought shoulder to shoulder in America’s Wars, and now is the time for all of us to close ranks to support the America that we all know and love. Disagree though we will as liberals and conservatives, we should all be ready to confront the excesses of an administration that would infract our Constitution and fly in the face of America’s values.

In the Senate yesterday, an amendment was floated that would endanger opposition talk radio. Yes, talk. Imagine, the administration has commissioned “the First Friend,” Dick Durbin of Illinois to write an amendment:

“The Senate voted along party lines Thursday to adopt an amendment sponsored by Sen. Dick Durbin (Ill.), the second-ranking Democrat in the chamber, that directs the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to “promote diversity in communication media ownership and to ensure that broadcast station licenses are used in the public interest.”

Contrary to what has been said, the money that supports talk radio, most of it conservative, is the advertising revenue based on the huge numbers of listeners. And this amendment will not curb opinion on the other side on TV, print media or any other publications. Only talk radio. Talk radio, there the dynamics are identical to what takes place on this board.

Politics is a blood sport, and Illinois politics is known to be bare knuckles, but what we are seeing here is a naked attempt to censor the voices on the right.

Controlling two of the branches of government, the Democrats will be successful in passing this poison pill.

Are our friends on the left going to stand by, or even gloat? Or will we see a reaction that that will mark all of us as Americans?

This is an outrage. This is not Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union. Who does this asshole think he is?

Ah! but they had two votes in the senate..

Minutes after adopting Durbin’s amendment, the Senate voted 87-11 to adopt an amendment sponsored by DeMint that would prevent the FCC from reinstating the Fairness Doctrine.

Now let's see if the mouth obamalama tell the truth and refuses to sign such a bill into law if it should reach his desk..

Minutes after adopting Durbin’s amendment, the Senate voted 87-11 to adopt an amendment sponsored by DeMint that would prevent the FCC from reinstating the Fairness Doctrine.

Now let's see if the mouth obamalama tell the truth and refuses to sign such a bill into law if it should reach his desk..

Its a miracle.

what stupidity... there was ALWAYS diversity in media ownership until baby bush decided that his buddies could own multiple media in one location.

typical right wing hysteria....

i guess that's what happens when you only get your news from rushbot and coultergeist.

what stupidity... there was ALWAYS diversity in media ownership until baby bush decided that his buddies could own multiple media in one location.

i guess that's what happens when you only get your news from rushbot and coultergeist.

In my 2000 or so posts, I don't believe I've ever called anyone stupid, nor have I used phrases like wingnuts. Do you realize that you have become the poster-child for mean-spirit and cantankerousness. I'm truly sorry that you have such an unhappy life.

Of course I'm for diversity: I am a conservative. We don't believe in the narrowing uniformity which you on the far left of the spectrum describe as equality.

I'm hoping that you are more intelligent than it appears from your post, and you realize that every form of media, from Hollywood to print to broadcast is owned and operated by left wingers. The only counterbalance is talk radio.

You must admit that this is an attempt to silence the only consistent critics the Obama administration will face, and once you admit that your conscience will force you to fight this amendment.

Like NBC, CBS, ABC, MSNBC, NPR and CNN?

When I composed this thread, I though that one of two things would happen. Either those on the left who are deep into their irrational hatred to the right would piggy-back on the Durbin/Obama attempt at censorship, or there would be a weighty and telling silence from those on the left who voted for this administration.

I felt that it would be a hopeful sign if our friends on the left, while not comfortable in criticizing the Durbin Amendment, could not support it.

I don't believe that it is accidental that almost every response is opposed to the amendment.

Thanks.

First talk radio, then the internet. i can't wait for USMB to have a resident commissar. I'm betting it will be either Chris or OldRocks. Or both.

You mean Obama lied about the Fairness doctrine ?

omgnoway !

PC, I really must say it...you are stupid. There is nothing wrong with promoting diverse ownership of media outlets...

Try using your brain before it atrophies.

I'm surprised you aren't posting the good news:

The Senate voted Thursday in favor of an amendment to the District of Columbia voting-rights bill that would prohibit the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) from reinstating the so-called Fairness Doctrine, which critics say would decimate conservative talk radio.

The Senate passed the measure 87-11.

PC, I really must say it...you are stupid. There is nothing wrong with promoting diverse ownership of media outlets...

Try using your brain before it atrophies.

I'm surprised you aren't posting the good news:

The Senate voted Thursday in favor of an amendment to the District of Columbia voting-rights bill that would prohibit the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) from reinstating the so-called Fairness Doctrine, which critics say would decimate conservative talk radio.

The Senate passed the measure 87-11.

Sounds good, until I remember that both of my Senators are on record as saying that we need the fairness doctrine. Maybe this is a case of what is good for the goose is not good for the gander? Perhaps they want to hear different opinions, but they think I don't need to hear the same debate?

Also, I think we may need to determine which vote tally is accurate.

Senate Adopts Durbin FCC Diversity Amendment to D.C. Voting Rights Bill « S E N A T U S

In my 2000 or so posts, I don't believe I've ever called anyone stupid, nor have I used phrases like wingnuts. Do you realize that you have become the poster-child for mean-spirit and cantankerousness. I'm truly sorry that you have such an unhappy life.

Of course I'm for diversity: I am a conservative. We don't believe in the narrowing uniformity which you on the far left of the spectrum describe as equality.

I'm hoping that you are more intelligent than it appears from your post, and you realize that every form of media, from Hollywood to print to broadcast is owned and operated by left wingers. The only counterbalance is talk radio.

You must admit that this is an attempt to silence the only consistent critics the Obama administration will face, and once you admit that your conscience will force you to fight this amendment.

actually, you're the one who says you can't even listen to the music of someone who disagrees with you and you insult me in every single post you make to me, regardless of my response.

so i figured i'd speak truth. maybe if you'd try posting something not out of the coultergeist playbook, they might not be so readily disposed of.

sorry if that disturbs you. i thought you were all into the truth thing.

as for conservatives being for diversity...

RAFLMAO.

again.... there have always been controls on how many media outlets could be owned...

until your buddy baby bush got ahold of the FCC.

not that i know what obama would do when he gets it, but whether he signs it or not, the Demint amendment secures obama's position of not reinstating the Fairness Doctrine...

If anything, DeMint's amendment stating the FCC could not reinstate the Fairness Doctrine is the perfect OUT for Obama to sign this bill, and oddly, set up by republicans, no?

care

I have repeated expressed my objections to the so called "Fairness in Broadcasting" doctrine.

Its a terrible idea.

It is almost as terrrible as allowing media monopolies to exist, frankly.

I presume that you Political Chic agree with me that media monopolies run counter to the interests of a truly free press in a democratic republic, right?

Forum List

Back