December 7, this date in history

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
It's been about 3/4 of a century since the "day of Infamy" and even the dullest victims of the federal education system still remember Pearl Harbor Day. FDR couldn't give a speech after Dec 7 1941 without inciting anger and racial bigotry and hatred against the Japanese. That's the way it was in the 30's and 40's. The dirty little secret is that American ignorance and bigotry regarding the Japanese was the major factor in the criminal negligence that led to the loss of 3,000 Americans on 12/7/41. There was no U.S. intelligence network prior to WW2. The federal government relied on rumors that Japanese men were nearsighted and had a balance problem that prevented them from piloting a plane much less building one. COS George Marshall allegedly had the chance to alert Pearl Harbor when his frantic staff handed him the last "magic" decode and he read it and re-read it and re-re-read it for hours. Wouldn't you know the Army message center went down and he had to send a telegram that arrived at the same time as the Japanese Zeroes. FDR blamed subordinates and so did Marshall and when MacArthur disregarded the "war plan" and his entire air force was shot up parked wing to wing on the ground he blamed subordinates also.

There were no far right reactionaries. Everyone was a FDR cheerleader even if the great orator was a sick man.

There were no far right reactionaries. Everyone was a FDR cheerleader even if the great orator was a sick man.
If everyone was a FDR cheerleader why did the peacetime draft extension pass the House by only one vote. One can guess which political party those who voted against that draft extension belonged to, and this was just a few months before Pearl Harbor.

I clearly remember that Sunday morning. I was at the breakfast table eating oatmeal with honey on it. I couldn't read but was looking at the comics from the local newspaper.

I heard strange noises on the radio and can remember how my mom and dad froze when they heard it. Mom turned up the volume. I could only understand something about a Pearly Harbor somewhere and how a lot things were being blown up and Japs were responsible for it.

Japs? ?Two of my best friends were Japs. How could they be blowing up things.

After that, I remember we moved back into Los Angeles and my grandmother's house. Dad went to work for the police and Mom went to work at an aircraft plant as a riveter. Year, Rosie the Riveter. And I was sent to a military academy with uniforms, drills, marching, the whole works.

Guess that gives away my age.

If everyone was a FDR cheerleader why did the peacetime draft extension pass the House by only one vote. One can guess which political party those who voted against that draft extension belonged to, and this was just a few months before Pearl Harbor.

Who knew that FDR was a right wing reactionary..

The isolationists of America were in the majority until December 7, 1941, and chief among them were far right reactionaries like Henry Ford and Charles Limbaugh, both Nazi supporters, as well.

longknife, did you get sent to Army Navy Academy in Carlsbad?

And thank you for your memoir, very personal and very interesting.

No, it's amazing but after more than 65 years I can still remember it was Page Military Academy somewhere west of Rampart in Los Angeles.

I learned the Manual of Army and years later when I was in Basic Training at Fort Ord I remembered and it got me put on the Drill Team.

The LA Herald morgue copy says it was located in west Hollywood. Been defunct for some time, I gather.

I clearly remember that Sunday morning. I was at the breakfast table eating oatmeal with honey on it. I couldn't read but was looking at the comics from the local newspaper.

I heard strange noises on the radio and can remember how my mom and dad froze when they heard it. Mom turned up the volume. I could only understand something about a Pearly Harbor somewhere and how a lot things were being blown up and Japs were responsible for it.

Japs? ?Two of my best friends were Japs. How could they be blowing up things.

After that, I remember we moved back into Los Angeles and my grandmother's house. Dad went to work for the police and Mom went to work at an aircraft plant as a riveter. Year, Rosie the Riveter. And I was sent to a military academy with uniforms, drills, marching, the whole works.

Guess that gives away my age.

Great memory- thanks for sharing. I wasn't alive but my parents were- their memories are all from the home front at the time

No, it's amazing but after more than 65 years I can still remember it was Page Military Academy somewhere west of Rampart in Los Angeles.

I learned the Manual of Army and years later when I was in Basic Training at Fort Ord I remembered and it got me put on the Drill Team.
Many a night I spent walking the main street in Monterey as an MP, I think it was Alvorado street? Also there was a street in Salinas that white soldiers, except MP's, were not allowed. It was great duty then, and bingo, men from overseas began to replace us and over we went. I hate fairness.

The isolationists of America were in the majority until December 7, 1941, and chief among them ...

Chief among them was that scumbag fdr when he was trying to get elected.

Congressional representatives might have been trying to do their jobs by representing the will of the people but the "everyone" I cite is the propaganda network including the entire radio and print media and Hollywood. You could also say that almost every "historian" became an FDR cheerleader. In the 60's the media thought that a 2nd rate burglary was horrific enough to bring down the Nixon administration but back in the 40's the incarceration of American citizens was endorsed by the media. The attempted stacking of the Supreme Court was a minor glitch that the media didn't like but they soon forgave the democrat party for running a virtual zombie for a 4th term when they knew he was a dying man.

Forum List

Back