Death penalty

Law Enforcement Statement on Capital Punishment

As law enforcement officers, our primary concern is the protection of the public from crime. Punishment of offenders is a crucial element of this protection, and one which we believe is vitally important in deterring crime.

Recently, attention has focused on one form of punishment: the death penalty. As individuals, we differ widely in our belief in capital punishment. Many of us hold that the death penalty, if fairly and equitably administered, may have a role in American society. Others of us have sincere reservations about the use of this ultimate sanction.

As endorsers of this Statement, however, we share the belief that other law enforcement priorities are far more important and urgent than capital punishment. The death penalty absorbs an inordinate portion of the financial resources and valuable time of the criminal justice system. Because millions of dollars and countless hours of court time go toward the execution of a single individual, we believe that other dimensions of crime prevention are being short-changed.

In many communities, the public would be better served by measures such as the hiring of additional police officers, the implementation of community policing, drug interdiction programs, early childhood intervention programs, weapons control programs, speedier trials, or better funded probation and parole departments, than by an occasional death sentence on an isolated individual, to be carried out, if at all, only many years later. The death penalty may fascinate the media and the public, but it is truly peripheral to our efforts to make this society safer.

Too much attention on one extreme of law enforcement distracts the public from the more critical task of combating daily crime on our city's streets. State and federal legislatures spend an exorbitant amount of time debating the merits of the death penalty. The courts are burdened with lengthy death penalty trials and years of appeals. From the perspective of those of us who see crime up close on a daily basis, there are far higher priorities that deserve the public's attention and support.

We deeply understand the public's concern with the amount of random, violent crime prevalent in our society today. The solutions to this problem are not easy ones, and they require a commitment of money and resources. The sooner we order our crime prevention priorities toward solutions with proven records of effectiveness, the sooner we will be able to make a serious dent in America's crime problem.

ENDORSEMENTS

(List in formation)

Catherine M. Abate
Former Commissioner
New York City Dept. of Correction*

Gordon S. Bates
Executive Director, Connecticut Prison Association*

Donald A. Cabana
Former Warden and Commissioner of
Corrections, Mississippi*

Jo Ann D. Diamos
Former U.S. Attorney, Arizona*

Walter J. Dickey
Former Commissioner,
Wisconsin Dept. of Corrections*

Jerry J. Enomoto
Former Director,
California Dept. of Corrections*

James J. Fyfe
Former Lieutenant
New York City Police Dept.*

James M. Gamble
Administrator, Montana Dept. of Corrections *
Robert Gangi
Executive Director, Correctional Association of New York*

Patricia L. Gatling
Former President,
National Black Prosecutors Association*

John F. Gorczyk
Commissioner,
Vermont Dept. of Corrections*

Ronald E. Hampton
Director, National Black Police Association*

Thomas L. Johnson
Former Hennepin County Attorney, Minnesota*

John R. Kramer
Executive Director, Pennsylvania Commission on Sentencing*

Jennie Lancaster
Female Command Manager
North Carolina Dept. of Prisons*

William M. Leech, Jr.
Former Attorney General, Tennessee*
Sidney I. Lezak
Former U.S. Attorney, Oregon*

Elaine Little
Director, North Dakota Department of Corrections*

Terre K. Marshall
Deputy Commissioner
Connecticut Dept. of Corrections*

George N. Martin III
Regional Administrator
Former Warden
South Carolina Dept. of Corrections*

E. Michael McCann
District Attorney
Milwaukee, Wisconsin*

Patrick C. McManus
Former Secretary of Corrections, Kansas*

F. Russell Millin
Former U.S. Attorney,
Western District of Missouri*

Kathryn R. Monaco
Former Deputy Sec. for Correction, New Mexico*

Patrick V. Murphy
Former Police Commissioner New York, NY; Detroit, MI
Former Public Safety Director, Washington, DC*

Robert P. Owens
Former Chief of Police
Oxnard, California*

Orville B. Pung
Former Commissioner,
Minnesota Department of Corrections*

W. Jeff Reynolds
Former Commissioner,
Tennessee Dept. of Corrections*

Chase Riveland
Secretary, Washington Dept. of Corrections*

Larry D. Smith
Deputy Assistant Secretary of Corrections, Louisiana*

Raoul Stitt
Assistant Prosecuting Attorney,
Jackson County, Missouri*

Myra Wall
Assistant to the Secretary, Department of Corrections, Washington*

* Law Enforcement affiliation listed for identification only

Exactly, pretty much shoots away the previous opinions that law enforcement and prosecutors are gung ho for the death penalty.
LEGISLATURES PASS DEATH PENALTY LAWS.
Same with drug laws where law enforcement and prosecutors do not like them either.
Facts sure are a bitch to ideologues.

How many people released from prison have gone on to kill again? How many lifers have killed other inmates or guards?

Roger Coleman was long felt to be innocent of the crimes that he was executed for. Many people worked diligently before his execution and afterwards to clear his name. Only to have DNA evidence affirm his guilt.

There are thousands more innocent victims put to death by guilty criminals than innocent of crimes put to death by the judicial system. Half or more of them should be put to death as career criminals anyway.

Most career criminals do not commit crimes of violence.

As law enforcement officers, our primary concern is the protection of the public from crime. Punishment of offenders is a crucial element of this protection, and one which we believe is vitally important in deterring crime.

Recently, attention has focused on one form of punishment: the death penalty. As individuals, we differ widely in our belief in capital punishment. Many of us hold that the death penalty, if fairly and equitably administered, may have a role in American society. Others of us have sincere reservations about the use of this ultimate sanction.

As endorsers of this Statement, however, we share the belief that other law enforcement priorities are far more important and urgent than capital punishment. The death penalty absorbs an inordinate portion of the financial resources and valuable time of the criminal justice system. Because millions of dollars and countless hours of court time go toward the execution of a single individual, we believe that other dimensions of crime prevention are being short-changed.

In many communities, the public would be better served by measures such as the hiring of additional police officers, the implementation of community policing, drug interdiction programs, early childhood intervention programs, weapons control programs, speedier trials, or better funded probation and parole departments, than by an occasional death sentence on an isolated individual, to be carried out, if at all, only many years later. The death penalty may fascinate the media and the public, but it is truly peripheral to our efforts to make this society safer.

Too much attention on one extreme of law enforcement distracts the public from the more critical task of combating daily crime on our city's streets. State and federal legislatures spend an exorbitant amount of time debating the merits of the death penalty. The courts are burdened with lengthy death penalty trials and years of appeals. From the perspective of those of us who see crime up close on a daily basis, there are far higher priorities that deserve the public's attention and support.

We deeply understand the public's concern with the amount of random, violent crime prevalent in our society today. The solutions to this problem are not easy ones, and they require a commitment of money and resources. The sooner we order our crime prevention priorities toward solutions with proven records of effectiveness, the sooner we will be able to make a serious dent in America's crime problem.

ENDORSEMENTS

(List in formation)

Catherine M. Abate
Former Commissioner

Gordon S. Bates

Donald A. Cabana

Jo Ann D. Diamos

Walter J. Dickey
Former Commissioner,

Jerry J. Enomoto
Former Director,

James J. Fyfe
Former Lieutenant

James M. Gamble
Robert Gangi

Patricia L. Gatling
Former President,

John F. Gorczyk
Commissioner,

Ronald E. Hampton

Thomas L. Johnson

John R. Kramer

Jennie Lancaster
Female Command Manager

William M. Leech, Jr.
Sidney I. Lezak

Elaine Little

Terre K. Marshall
Deputy Commissioner

George N. Martin III
Regional Administrator
Former Warden

E. Michael McCann
District Attorney
Milwaukee, Wisconsin*

Patrick C. McManus

F. Russell Millin
Former U.S. Attorney,

Kathryn R. Monaco

Patrick V. Murphy

Robert P. Owens
Former Chief of Police
Oxnard, California*

Orville B. Pung
Former Commissioner,

W. Jeff Reynolds
Former Commissioner,

Chase Riveland

Larry D. Smith

Raoul Stitt

Myra Wall

Exactly, pretty much shoots away the previous opinions that law enforcement and prosecutors are gung ho for the death penalty.
Same with drug laws where law enforcement and prosecutors do not like them either.

I am an idealogue, and it doesn't bother me. I was trying to have an open dialogue. I like to learn. It doesn't change my principles that death is appropriate justice for a murderer, but I'm not ignorant to this kind of input. Bfgrn decided he wanted to call me an emotional, logic-lacking idealogue, and that's his prerogative.

Whatever the case, I never said that the death penalty doesn't cost more. I KNOW it does. It SHOULD cost more. As for effectiveness, the raw data on homicide rates according to Uniform Crime Reports does not declare either side a winner. The only way the deterrent argument is valid is if homicide rates are glaringly superior in either case. They are not.

Anyway, I am enjoying the debate. I simply refuse to resort to the kind of insulting behavior that Bfgrn seems to enjoy. I'll still listen to him though.

Incidentally, I agree wholeheartedly about the failed and ineffective war on drugs. That is a case that is about as plain as it gets.

How many people released from prison have gone on to kill again? How many lifers have killed other inmates or guards?

Roger Coleman was long felt to be innocent of the crimes that he was executed for. Many people worked diligently before his execution and afterwards to clear his name. Only to have DNA evidence affirm his guilt.

There are thousands more innocent victims put to death by guilty criminals than innocent of crimes put to death by the judicial system. Half or more of them should be put to death as career criminals anyway.

When you understand what conservatism is; a purely emotion driven ideology based on the most powerful emotion...FEAR, all of their anti-American beliefs are easier to understand.

When you listen to them talk about the death penalty, ask yourself; does what they promote (killing a few innocents is no big deal, they are probably guilty of 'something' anyway) sound like America, or does it sound more like Stalin's Russia, Hitler's Germany or ultra-conservative Muslim countries like Saudi Arabia where the death penalty can be imposed for a wide range of offenses including murder, rape,false prophecy, armed robbery, repeated drug use, apostasy, adultery, witchcraft and sorcery and can be carried out by beheading with a sword, or more rarely by firing squad, and sometimes by stoning?

ENDORSEMENTS

(List in formation)

Catherine M. Abate
Former Commissioner

Gordon S. Bates

Donald A. Cabana

Jo Ann D. Diamos

Walter J. Dickey
Former Commissioner,

Jerry J. Enomoto
Former Director,

James J. Fyfe
Former Lieutenant

James M. Gamble
Robert Gangi

Patricia L. Gatling
Former President,

John F. Gorczyk
Commissioner,

Ronald E. Hampton

Thomas L. Johnson

John R. Kramer

Jennie Lancaster
Female Command Manager

William M. Leech, Jr.
Sidney I. Lezak

Elaine Little

Terre K. Marshall
Deputy Commissioner

George N. Martin III
Regional Administrator
Former Warden

E. Michael McCann
District Attorney
Milwaukee, Wisconsin*

Patrick C. McManus

F. Russell Millin
Former U.S. Attorney,

Kathryn R. Monaco

Patrick V. Murphy

Robert P. Owens
Former Chief of Police
Oxnard, California*

Orville B. Pung
Former Commissioner,

W. Jeff Reynolds
Former Commissioner,

Chase Riveland

Larry D. Smith

Raoul Stitt

Myra Wall

I am an idealogue, and it doesn't bother me. I was trying to have an open dialogue. I like to learn. It doesn't change my principles that death is appropriate justice for a murderer, but I'm not ignorant to this kind of input. Bfgrn decided he wanted to call me an emotional, logic-lacking idealogue, and that's his prerogative.

Whatever the case, I never said that the death penalty doesn't cost more. I KNOW it does. It SHOULD cost more. As for effectiveness, the raw data on homicide rates according to Uniform Crime Reports does not declare either side a winner. The only way the deterrent argument is valid is if homicide rates are glaringly superior in either case. They are not.

Anyway, I am enjoying the debate. I simply refuse to resort to the kind of insulting behavior that Bfgrn seems to enjoy. I'll still listen to him though.

Incidentally, I agree wholeheartedly about the failed and ineffective war on drugs. That is a case that is about as plain as it gets.

You earlier posted:

The effectiveness of the death penalty as a deterrent to homicide is an interesting sub-debate. Data from Uniform Crime Reports is about as unbiased as information comes, and there is simply no significant difference in homicide rates between death penalty and non-death penalty states with similar urban concentrations.

But then you somehow draw from those statistics the theory that it supports an undecided conclusion...

It REEKS of a very decisive conclusion...capital punishment is NOT A DETERRENT.

You earlier posted:

The effectiveness of the death penalty as a deterrent to homicide is an interesting sub-debate. Data from Uniform Crime Reports is about as unbiased as information comes, and there is simply no significant difference in homicide rates between death penalty and non-death penalty states with similar urban concentrations.

But then you somehow draw from those statistics the theory that it supports an undecided conclusion...

I never said that it was. What I said was that the deterrent argument is not a valid one for either side because there is not evidence that neither the death penalty nor life imprisonment can be conclusively drawn to be a more effective deterrent than the other.

Now, like I've said all along, I am interested in continuing this debate with you. I find it stimulating. I provided an answer to your question about the moral justifications of the risk to innocent life. I would welcome your comments if you would indulge me.

The terrorist who killed Robert Kennedy is still rattling around in a federal prison because the government didn't have the guts to execute him. The attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan seemed like a joke to federal prosecutors who let the punk live in a hospital rather than be sentenced to hard time.

"They" do not sentence folks to the death penalty.
Your arguments are all over the place.

Do I need to use smaller words for you?

LOL, now I admit that is a good one Joe!:lol:

Specific words would be better.
Police and prosecutors do not determine guilt or innocence or sentence folk.

Oh, please.

Please don't give me the holy writ of 12 morons too stupid too get out of Jury Duty...

They don't pick people who can think for themselves on Juries.. Which is why a rich person has never gotten the Death Penalty.

You earlier posted:

I never said that it was. What I said was that the deterrent argument is not a valid one for either side because there is not evidence that neither the death penalty nor life imprisonment can be conclusively drawn to be a more effective deterrent than the other.

Now, like I've said all along, I am interested in continuing this debate with you. I find it stimulating. I provided an answer to your question about the moral justifications of the risk to innocent life. I would welcome your comments if you would indulge me.

You are really missing the point. The ONLY argument that could possibly make capital punishment justifiable is that it serves as a deterrent. It doesn't. There is absolutely no use for it, except an emotional one.

When you understand what conservatism is; a purely emotion driven ideology based on the most powerful emotion...FEAR, all of their anti-American beliefs are easier to understand.

When you listen to them talk about the death penalty, ask yourself; does what they promote (killing a few innocents is no big deal, they are probably guilty of 'something' anyway) sound like America, or does it sound more like Stalin's Russia, Hitler's Germany or ultra-conservative Muslim countries like Saudi Arabia where the death penalty can be imposed for a wide range of offenses including murder, rape,false prophecy, armed robbery, repeated drug use, apostasy, adultery, witchcraft and sorcery and can be carried out by beheading with a sword, or more rarely by firing squad, and sometimes by stoning?

This is not a conservative versus liberal issue.
Most law enforcement are conservative and they OPPOSE the death penalty and the war on drugs.
If anything is driven by emotion is is liberalism.
Real easy to be a liberal when you are spending other people's $$$.

You earlier posted:

You are really missing the point. The ONLY argument that could possibly make capital punishment justifiable is that it serves as a deterrent. It doesn't. There is absolutely no use for it, except an emotional one.

I must be.

Oh, please.

Please don't give me the holy writ of 12 morons too stupid too get out of Jury Duty...

They don't pick people who can think for themselves on Juries.. Which is why a rich person has never gotten the Death Penalty.

You are about as dumb as a box of rocks Joe. Trial lawyers pick jurists that they believe are smart enough to understand their theory of the case.
I have investigated and prepared over 1500 cases for jury trial both in the civil and criminal courts.
Joe, jury consultants make as much as $1500 a day as jury questionaires are given to each side before the voir dire starts.
Most trials these days involve massive amounts of technical information for and against the accused in a criminal case. Forensic evidence is as technical these days as it has ever been and both the prosecution and defense wants jurists that fully understand THEIR theory of what that evidence does or does not show.
Get away from that wheel barrow Joe. You do not know anything about modern machinery, much less voir dire or anything about the courts.

Oh, please.

Could it be something about the fact that rich people DO NOT MURDER people as much as poor people?
Over 90% of all murders are by folks that live at or below the poverty line.
WELL DUH!
NO one gets out of jury duty in Georgia. The law bans that.

You are about as dumb as a box of rocks Joe. Trial lawyers pick jurists that they believe are smart enough to understand their theory of the case.
I have investigated and prepared over 1500 cases for jury trial both in the civil and criminal courts.
Joe, jury consultants make as much as $1500 a day as jury questionaires are given to each side before the voir dire starts.
Most trials these days involve massive amounts of technical information for and against the accused in a criminal case. Forensic evidence is as technical these days as it has ever been and both the prosecution and defense wants jurists that fully understand THEIR theory of what that evidence does or does not show.
Get away from that wheel barrow Joe. You do not know anything about modern machinery, much less voir dire or anything about the courts.

Hey, I realize you make money off the current system, and it's hard to get a man to understand a problem when his livlihood depends on his not understanding it.

The Jury system is ten kinds of messed up. Seriously. I guess I remember the O.J. Simpson trial, where O.J.'s very expensive $1500.00 a day jury consultants picked the woman who "only read the racing form" and then said that she ignored the DNA evidence "because she didn't understand it." That's what jury consultants get you. A nice pliable knob who will follow the breadcrumbs.

Now, normally, this works for the prosecution, because for those of us who aren't O.J., we sure as hell can't afford $1500 a day for a jury consultant. The best you can hope for is that your overworked public defender remembers to challenge the guy who showed up in his Grand Wizard robes if the defendant is black. NOw, I'm sure this is generally fine by you, the last thing you want is poor people actually getting a fair shake.

If every criminal defendent got a "Dream Team" of good lawyers and jury consultants, you might have a fair system.

Instead what you get is Rolando Cruz with a public defender, not having the resources to challenge faked evidence and suppressed confessions and going to death row. And if the guy wasn't on death row, no one would have looked at that shit twice.

Oh, please.

Could it be something about the fact that rich people DO NOT MURDER people as much as poor people?
WELL DUH!

Gee... I seem to remember O.J. Simpson murdered two people. And he was as guilty as a cat in a canary cage.

They took the DP off the table for him before the trial even started.

When our system executes a rich person, then I'll be convinced it works.

Hey, I realize you make money off the current system, and it's hard to get a man to understand a problem when his livlihood depends on his not understanding it.

The Jury system is ten kinds of messed up. Seriously. I guess I remember the O.J. Simpson trial, where O.J.'s very expensive $1500.00 a day jury consultants picked the woman who "only read the racing form" and then said that she ignored the DNA evidence "because she didn't understand it." That's what jury consultants get you. A nice pliable knob who will follow the breadcrumbs.

Now, normally, this works for the prosecution, because for those of us who aren't O.J., we sure as hell can't afford $1500 a day for a jury consultant. The best you can hope for is that your overworked public defender remembers to challenge the guy who showed up in his Grand Wizard robes if the defendant is black. NOw, I'm sure this is generally fine by you, the last thing you want is poor people actually getting a fair shake.

If every criminal defendent got a "Dream Team" of good lawyers and jury consultants, you might have a fair system.

Instead what you get is Rolando Cruz with a public defender, not having the resources to challenge faked evidence and suppressed confessions and going to death row. And if the guy wasn't on death row, no one would have looked at that shit twice.

Admit it Joe, you do everything you can to avoid jury duty and are proud of it.
Not registering to vote is the easy way out and that has you written all over it.
Last death penalty case I worked was an appointed case and we were paid 1/4 our normal rate by the state.
I also do work for the battered women's shelter as last Saturday I served a TPO on a man that was beating his wife and the Marshalls "could not find him" for service.
But of course you claim that I "am sticking my nose in other people's business" doing those kind of things.
You live in a black and white biased world Joe. I live in the real one.
Mark my words once again. I OPPOSE the death penalty because maybe one out of 500 is innocent and we can not take that chance.
But back to your claim that ALL juries are morons. NO MATTER who the trial lawyer they ALWAYS want a smart and unbiased jury.
And that is what they always get from my 30+ years experience.
All of your claims are childish and from watching TV shows. False to the core.
Stick to what you know best Joe. This is not it.

Oh, please.

WELL DUH!

Gee... I seem to remember O.J. Simpson murdered two people. And he was as guilty as a cat in a canary cage.

They took the DP off the table for him before the trial even started.

When our system executes a rich person, then I'll be convinced it works.

LOL, you watch too many Rockford re-runs Joe.
Death penalty is rarely, if ever, sought in the killing of a spouse or former spouse. Additionally, I may be wrong here, but Simpson did not have a criminal record of much if anything so that also plays into it. Most all death penalty cases are for career criminals.

No matter what Gil Garcetti did in that case someone that gets their information from Entertainment Tonight like you would be upset. I believe it was Ira Reiner who was DA before him out there and I would bet big $$$ he would not have sought the death penalty either in that case.

Again, stick to the hammer.

LOL, you watch too many Rockford re-runs Joe.
Death penalty is rarely, if ever, sought in the killing of a spouse or former spouse. Additionally, I may be wrong here, but Simpson did not have a criminal record of much if anything so that also plays into it. Most all death penalty cases are for career criminals.

No matter what Gil Garcetti did in that case someone that gets their information from Entertainment Tonight like you would be upset. I believe it was Ira Reiner who was DA before him out there and I would bet big $$$ he would not have sought the death penalty either in that case.

Again, stick to the hammer.

Actually, Simpson also killed a kid named Ron Goldman, who was only there returning Nicole's sunglasses. True he was only a poor kid working for minimum wage, but he deserved justice, too.

He brought a knife with him, that proves premeditation.

I mean, Jesus, man, I figured that out, without the expertise you claim to have.

Sorry, the only reasons he the DP got taken off the table was he was rich, he was a celebrity, and yeah, it was only a couple years after the King riots, so there were racial considerations.

Turning your ex-wife into Pez dispenser is the kind of vicious crime we need a DP for.

But only if the system if fair and equitable. Two words that make plutocrat apologists like yourself cringe like a vampire in front of a crucifix.

Not registering to vote is the easy way out and that has you written all over it.
Last death penalty case I worked was an appointed case and we were paid 1/4 our normal rate by the state.

I vote every year, and I've been called for Jury duty twice. And that's when I lived in Cook County.

First time, they made us wait for civil trials, and dimissed us because the sides reached an agreement.

Second time, got all the way to the courtroom. Watching them disqualify jurors who were educated, smart people because they thought they might have biases. One lady got dismissed because she was kind of an animal rights type. My number never came up. That was in 1991, I think. Right before i got discharged, and I'm sure the fact I was still on active duty would have gotten me excused.

Now, for some reason, I haven't been called since 1991. Not sure why. Always register to vote.. never seem to get called. Maybe I hit my quota, don't give a hoot why.

So seriously, man, you call yourself a detective and you jump to a stupid conclusion like this...

I vote every year, and I've been called for Jury duty twice. And that's when I lived in Cook County.

First time, they made us wait for civil trials, and dimissed us because the sides reached an agreement.

Second time, got all the way to the courtroom. Watching them disqualify jurors who were educated, smart people because they thought they might have biases. One lady got dismissed because she was kind of an animal rights type. My number never came up. That was in 1991, I think. Right before i got discharged, and I'm sure the fact I was still on active duty would have gotten me excused.

Now, for some reason, I haven't been called since 1991. Not sure why. Always register to vote.. never seem to get called. Maybe I hit my quota, don't give a hoot why.

So seriously, man, you call yourself a detective and you jump to a stupid conclusion like this...

Jurists do not get disqualified Joe. They get struck for cause or dismissed.
And then they go back to the jury room and another panel is called and they can be chosen on that jury as the process goes on again.

Justice is an unbiased jury. Without voir dire how would the jury system work?

Forum List

Back