Death Penalty on its way out

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
With the exception of Jesusland, fewer and fewer states still use the archaic punishment

Among signs the death penalty may be on life support:
• The number of death sentences dropped from a high of 315 in 1996 to 73 last year – half of them coming in just 2% of the nation's counties.
• The number of prisoners on death row peaked at 3,593 in 2000 but now hovers around 3,000, a 17% decline.
The number of executions peaked at 98 in 1999 and has dropped since then, hitting a low of 35 last year. In the first eight months of this year, 20 prisoners have been killed — 16 of them in Texas and Missouri.
• Seven states have repealed the death penalty since 2007. Among the 31 that retain it, governors have imposed a moratorium in four, and most others haven't executed anyone in years. Only seven states carried out executions in the past two years.
• The federal government has not carried out an execution since 2003. An unofficial moratorium has been declared pending the completion of a Justice Department review of the death penalty ordered last year by President Obama.

Courts, states put death penalty on life support

okay op what you gonna do with the people who simply deserve to die....i do not support the killing of any life....but some do deserve it....they seem to go outta their way to earn it...what about them....those high tech prisons are expensive and the us is already jailing more people than any other country is that a trend we want to continue...

*inner voice* better to execute more than any other country?

is there really a solution ?

okay op what you gonna do with the people who simply deserve to die....i do not support the killing of any life....but some do deserve it....they seem to go outta their way to earn it...what about them....those high tech prisons are expensive and the us is already jailing more people than any other country is that a trend we want to continue...

*inner voice* better to execute more than any other country?

is there really a solution ?

Like most of the civilized world, I support life without the possibility of parol

The few remaining countries that still continue to use the barbaric death penalty include radical Muslim countries (like our Jesusland states), China, North Korea and India

Like most of the civilized world, I support life without the possibility of parol

Sometimes "civilization" is like a dose of idiot.

I do not favor permitting the State to have the power of life and death (the victim's family is a different story), but neither do I see a reason to keep rabid beasts alive and pay for their support for the 30-40 years most will remain alive following conviction.

Lets see who continues to execute people

death-penalty-countries-map-2-lg.jpg

How many of these 71 countries would you like to live in?

Countries still executing
No North American countries
One South American country
No Russia
One European country

All the countries in Red tend to be countries we consider to be "barbaric", Guess how the rest of the world views the US?

Once Hillary gets elected, expect her to stock the Supreme Court with liberals. Probably a 6-3 liberal edge

Given the right case, expect the Court to rule capital punishment as "cruel and unusual" within ten years

Once Hillary gets elected, expect her to stock the Supreme Court with liberals. Probably a 6-3 liberal edge

Given the right case, expect the Court to rule capital punishment as "cruel and unusual" within ten years

Actually, once that happens all the Constitutional limits on you lefties will be shit canned.

Now, lets look at the remaining states that still use the death penalty

death-penalty-map.png

16 do not allow the death penalty
12 have had fewer than ten executions in the last 40 years

The majority of executions take place in a few states primarily influenced by Baptists

death-penalty-map.png

The majority of executions take place in a few states primarily influenced by Baptists

So? Any reason Baptists shouldn't participate in political issues?

And "Jesusland"? Really?

death-penalty-map.png

So? Any reason Baptists shouldn't participate in political issues?

And "Jesusland"? Really?

Now, which states are still actively using the Death Penalty?

jesusland_map1.gif

death-penalty-map.png

Now, look at this map and you can see the corellation between states that still use the death penalty and states that are primarily Southern Baptist

LargestReligion.jpg

Sometimes "civilization" is like a dose of idiot.

I do not favor permitting the State to have the power of life and death (the victim's family is a different story), but neither do I see a reason to keep rabid beasts alive and pay for their support for the 30-40 years most will remain alive following conviction.
Not only do I agree with what you've said I believe that in some examples the death penalty is a merciful alternative to spending one's life, possibly fifty or more years, day after day, in a prison environment. I would rather die.

So I don't think the death penalty should be abolished. I think it not only should remain an option based on a number of factors but the method should also be optional depending on the nature of a condemned individual's offense.

Administering the death penalty can be as painless as being anesthetized for surgery. Or it can be terrifyingly brutal, as in being stabbed, slashed or beaten to death with a weapon in the hands of a murder victim's angry survivor. I believe the latter option would serve to give one pause where committing murder is concerned.

I think automated firing squads is the solution. Lethal injection is not sustainable.
Automated Firing Squads. How would that work? Wouldn't someone need to push a button at some point?
It would have to built and programmed, at least.
Correct me if I'm mistaken but I believe the only purpose of an automated (computerized) firing squad would be to eliminate the moral stigma of having consciously enabled the taking of a life, which I believe in the case of a punitive death penalty would be impossible to do. Because at some point someone would necessarily need to initiate or facilitate the action via some method.

Last edited:
With the exception of Jesusland, fewer and fewer states still use the archaic punishment

Among signs the death penalty may be on life support:
• The number of death sentences dropped from a high of 315 in 1996 to 73 last year – half of them coming in just 2% of the nation's counties.
• The number of prisoners on death row peaked at 3,593 in 2000 but now hovers around 3,000, a 17% decline.
The number of executions peaked at 98 in 1999 and has dropped since then, hitting a low of 35 last year. In the first eight months of this year, 20 prisoners have been killed — 16 of them in Texas and Missouri.
• Seven states have repealed the death penalty since 2007. Among the 31 that retain it, governors have imposed a moratorium in four, and most others haven't executed anyone in years. Only seven states carried out executions in the past two years.
• The federal government has not carried out an execution since 2003. An unofficial moratorium has been declared pending the completion of a Justice Department review of the death penalty ordered last year by President Obama.

Courts, states put death penalty on life support
I think we should have the death penalty for crimes that are horrible and 100% provable. Like you have it on camera or DNA evidence or the cops caught you red handed.

Scott Peterson should not be on death row. Can't prove 100% he did it.

Even if oj was found guilty I wouldn't put him to death.

But the mom who killed her 2 kids and put them in the freezer should be put to death with a 50 cent bullet.

And that Areal Castro who hung himself in prison after kidnapping 3 girls for ten years, he should have been out to death. Jeffrey Dahmer should have been put to death. But all three got life. The systems messed up. Too bad more prisons don't do themselves in. But prisons not so bad once you get use to it.

Forum List

Back