Darfur

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/25/o...rials and Op-Ed/Op-Ed/Columnists/David Brooks

2. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    and that is why david brooks is one of the best

and why we must eventually go with a mulitlateral coalition of the willing into darfur without the UN

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I don't think this is going to happen, from the article:

4. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Thank you for posting a superb article that correctly outlines the grim reality of UNSC inaction. The UNSC is broken. No amount of new members will cure its paralysis. The threatened Chinese veto of direct Darfur intervention is what happens when a few Communist Party hacks are not accountable to an electorate. NATO AIR thinks the UNSC veto system should be abolished. He may be right. Nevertheless the voting threshold for UNSC sponsored military action should be very high. Maybe 80 percent would be a workable number. Thus, if 12 of 15 UNSC members vote to intervene in Darfur, it is authorized and not subject to cynical self-interested vetoes. Unfortunately, everyone in Darfur would be long dead waiting for such an UNSC system. The only answer for Darfur is the intervention of willing countries that sidesteps the dysfunctional UNSC.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Personally think we should extricate ourselves from the UN entirely.

6. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    With the UNSC performance record in mind, I am tempted to agree. However, first I support another attempt at UNSC reform. There needs to be some teeth in the demand for reform. Japan and the US combined pay almost fifty percent of the UN's bills. Japan and the US should outline what is meant by "reform." The money paid to the UN by Japan and the US should then be placed in escrow until the reform is achieved. The escrow amount should decline by five or ten percent for every month that reform is not achieved. Gosh, would the EU howl then!

7. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I agree as well... might as well make one last shot at it before throwing in the towel. I hope Japan and India make it to the UNSC. Let the EU howl! The Euros incompetence is as much to blame for this as all the mistakes of the Cold War dealings with the UN.