Darfur.. What the F**K

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by nakedemperor, Nov 10, 2004.

1. nakedemperor

nakedemperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Today Andrew Loewenstein of the State Department's team that went to Darfur on an information gathering expedition came to Brown and spoke to my Modern Genocide class. What he said was very disturbing..

He said that, contrary to Western Media coverage,the Janjaweed militia is not an independant faction randomly harassing the black Muslim population of Darfur. The Janjaweed attack villages alongside the Sudanese militia, and wear the same uniform as Khartoum's soldiers, and in fact have done significantly less damage than the Sudanese regulars. Khartoum has done a good PR job of keeping the Janajaweed, in popular opinion, "outside of their control"; to the rest of the world, it seems, Khartom must "reign in" the Janjaweed; in fact, they give them their orders.

70,000 are dead. 200,000 are displaced in Chad. 1.2 million are displaced in Sudan. IT IS A GENOCIDAL EFFORT. There are confirmed reports of Khartoum delivering explicit and direct orders to kill all males, of all ages. LITERALLY. We saw pictures of 5 year old boys with their throats slashed, hands and feet removed, etc. 50% of women in attacked villages are estimated raped. Fetuses are removed from the uterus of pregnant women and destroyed.

AS WE SPEAK, the women in the refugee camp "safezones" have to venture out of the camps (the desolate, barren, fruitless camps) to collect firewood. The Sudanese army and Janjaweed militia surrounding these camps routinely rape and kidnap these women.

Our own government has labeled this a genocide. Our own government cited humanitarian reasons for going to war in Iraq, why is this even more dire situation being ignored. Sanctions, political pressure, yadda.. GET PEOPLE ON THE GROUND AND STOP THE MURDERS.

The EU will not do it. the AU will not do it. The UN CERTAINLY will not do it-- we have an obligation to our fellow humanbeings that Clinton ignored and now Bush is doing something arguably even worse-- acknowledging it and STILL not doing anything to halt it.

Who is going to save Darfur?

2. wade

wade Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Where's the profit in such an undertaking? Without profit, Bush will do little or nothing in Darfur. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear I'm right.

3. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    So Bush is profiting from Iraq? Can you provide proof, or is this just another one of your idiotic conspiracy theories?

4. Democrat4Bush

Democrat4Bush Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I hate to tell you wade, but Sudan is loaded with oil.

So much for your "war for profit" mantra.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/sudan.html

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    SHHHH! Dont confuse Wade with the facts;)

6. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Doh! Got to it before me. :bow2:

It's mostly third party American FDI Wade.

7. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    The question right now is not, should the US go to Darfur, but do we have the troops do go to Darfur?

Frankly, I'm not convinced that we do. The mission would have to be long term, and would probably wind up being a hostile invasion of Sudan.

Not saying I wouldn't support such an action... just trying to be realistic.

8. tim_duncan2000

tim_duncan2000 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I'm not sure if there are enough resources for that either. Also, if the US were to go into Sudan, people would immediately scream "quagmire" and say that it's just about oil.

9. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    You hope you are wrong, but we KNOW you are stupid.

10. nakedemperor

nakedemperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Pre-Bush sanctions prevent U.S. from dealing with Sudanese oil-holdings.

So, no oil.