DAd beats son to death for being gay in 1950s America

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Got you to look.

After the assembly, in the car ride home, Haggerty's father called him out on his attempt to hide.
"My father says to me, 'I was walking down the hall this morning, and I saw a kid that looked a lot like you ducking around the hall to avoid his dad. But I know it wasn't you, 'cause you would never do that to your dad,' " Haggerty recalls.
Haggerty squirmed in his seat and finally exclaimed, "Well, Dad, did you have to wear your cow-crap jeans to my assembly?"
"Look, everybody knows I'm a dairy farmer," his father replied. "This is who I am. Now, how 'bout you? When you're an adult, who are you gonna go out with at night?"
Then, he gave his son some advice:
"Now, I'm gonna tell you something today, and you might not know what to think of it now, but you're gonna remember when you're a full-grown man: Don't sneak. Because if you sneak, like you did today, it means you think you're doing the wrong thing. And if you run around spending your whole life thinking that you're doing the wrong thing, then you'll ruin your immortal soul."

'Don't Sneak': Dad's Unexpected Advice To His Gay Son In The '50s : NPR

Maybe those days weren't as bad as people think.

'Don't Sneak': Dad's Unexpected Advice To His Gay Son In The '50s : NPR

Forum List

Back