d o you feel safe with a gun

How do you know your 5 and 6 year olds can't handle guns responsibly?

This is what Jean Liedloff had to say about the weapon mastery of young children in this indigenous society in her book, The Continuum Concept.

"The boys, from the age of about 18 months, practiced archery with sharp arrows, some enthusiasts carrying their bow and arrows about most of their waking hours, Shooting was not confined to designated places, nor were any 'safety rules' in effect. In my two and a half years there, I saw only one arrow wound."

For what reason can a similar approach not be adopted in our own society? I also think it might help reduce the physical abuse of children. I don't know whether the physical abuse of children has increased in recent times, though I do believe that teaching children self-defense techniques and weapon mastery early in life can contribute to their ability to resist physical punishment. As a colleague of mine said, "A father might not be so willing to strike his eight year old son when said eight year old can pick a two-by-four off the ground and smash his head open with it."

I know they can't handle them responsibly for the same reason I know they can't be trusted around horses. They're impulsive, fearless, and often disobedient.

I had guns in the house with my first two kids, from the time they were born. I had them in my house when I was growing up. But my two youngest are different kids, and have no compunctions about climbing up into closets, unlocking things they can unlock, cutting electric cords, running up behind horses they don't know, grabbing strange dogs by the ears, running into the street, etc.

They're just different kids.

They have shot guns. Their older brothers have taken them out and let them shoot, and they have shot in the NRA van with the pellet gun/target set up.

But no, I don't keep guns in my home at this point. I feel safer without them. The kids are just too rambunctious right now.

Yes, a Gun can save your life.I feel safer with a Gun. It is better to have one, than not to have one, when one is needed.

I know they can't handle them responsibly for the same reason I know they can't be trusted around horses. They're impulsive, fearless, and often disobedient.

I had guns in the house with my first two kids, from the time they were born. I had them in my house when I was growing up. But my two youngest are different kids, and have no compunctions about climbing up into closets, unlocking things they can unlock, cutting electric cords, running up behind horses they don't know, grabbing strange dogs by the ears, running into the street, etc.

They're just different kids.

They have shot guns. Their older brothers have taken them out and let them shoot, and they have shot in the NRA van with the pellet gun/target set up.

But no, I don't keep guns in my home at this point. I feel safer without them. The kids are just too rambunctious right now.

That's not precisely what I meant. I meant young children of that age group in general. I had shot guns with the Scouts when I was that age, and I think it would be a commendable general skill to promote.

Folks, anybody can kill anybody in this nation IF:

1. they have the will to do so
2. they plan carefully
3. they don't care what happens to them after they kill.

Now your guns might be of some value in protecting your home from criminals who are seeking to steal from you.

But if somebody sets out to kill you, and isn't so stupid as to warn you first?

You're dead.

Maybe.

That's not precisely what I meant. I meant young children of that age group in general. I had shot guns with the Scouts when I was that age, and I think it would be a commendable general skill to promote.

Oh, no I have no problem with people having guns in their house. Like I said, I always had guns when I was growing up, and when my older boys were growing up.

I just know these two and believe me, nobody would be safe. We're hardly safe with electricity and scissors in the house.

Folks, anybody can kill anybody in this nation IF:

1. they have the will to do so
2. they plan carefully
3. they don't care what happens to them after they kill.

Now your guns might be of some value in protecting your home from criminals who are seeking to steal from you.

But if somebody sets out to kill you, and isn't so stupid as to warn you first?

You're dead.
When somebody has a gun, as opposed to not having a gun:

1. The will of the criminal is tested more.
2. They have to do more planning and do it more carefully.
3. It is more likely that they would die in the encounter, and because they do care and just don't think they will be caught, the prospect of dying so imminently would make them think twice and care a bit more.

And your scenario has the feeling of a movie instead of real life.

It's stupid advice, in my opinion.

Get yourself killed by the cops for what purpose?

To make a point?

Better to live long enough to make the other guy suffer for his principles.

You got to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.
If you are living in an oppressive country, they are beyond folded. The game is over. The other guy cheated, and it is time to whip out your gun and start shooting the sumbitch.

we have 3...a rifle and 2 shotguns....i am not much into pistols...but am thinking of getting one of the smaller ones...but with my temper perhaps a taser gun would be better

we have 3...a rifle and 2 shotguns....i am not much into pistols...but am thinking of getting one of the smaller ones...but with my temper perhaps a taser gun would be better

a taser gun iis no good.the criiminal h e will just fall down and get up agaiin.m y familie have Lathi i n the house and m y morfar h e take this when we rejser.

I wish we had more training in this country regarding lethal force. No matter what your weapon of choice, your mind is the true weapon. The right to keep and bear arms and the right to defend yourself are Constitutional, as they should be, but I don't think the current training is adequate to handle high pressure situations.

I wish we had more training in this country regarding lethal force. No matter what your weapon of choice, your mind is the true weapon. The right to keep and bear arms and the right to defend yourself are Constitutional, as they should be, but I don't think the current training is adequate to handle high pressure situations.
and a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

What a terrible thing to have lost one's mind. Or not to have a mind
at all. How true that is.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle winning friends while
speaking to the United Negro College Fund

I feel perfectly safe with guns.

I feel less safe when others are handling guns, especially if I don't know them. I hate bird hunting because of this...it's always a group of people, some you don't know, and it's exceedingly stressful.

I don't keep guns in my home at this point because I have a 5 and 6 year old who can't be trusted and I don't have a gun safe at this point ( I did for years to keep my teen aged boys from messing with the guns unless I unlocked it for them).

But yes, I feel safe around guns for the most part.

Have you ever heard of Eddie Eagle Safety Program?

He's a great tool to teach your kids gun safety.

Eddie Eagle Safety Program

Forum List

Back