d o you feel safe with a gun

Discussion in 'Military' started by Svante, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Svante

Svante cybernetic organism

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31
    m y family have collectiion o f Lahti. the Lahti are like the glock and m y dad say this will protect the family. he like the guns made i n Finland becuase there are made o f better materiele and controle very good. he say the guns made i n Sweden are peace o f junk.

2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    They still make Lahti's? A firearm provides a modicum of personal security. Feeling safe though is relevant to one's position. The gun itself does not provide safety. One's ability to employ it does.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Lycurgus

Lycurgus Who is Obama, really...??

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258
    In addition to Gunny's comments, which I agree with. I feel safe period. But, I realize that I may not always be safe. I do not let fear rule my life, but, I stay in reality understanding what is around me. The firearm helps make me prepared.

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    No reason to not be prepared. Criminals in this country carry firearms. That's a fact. They already have the advantage of firepower and surprise. No reason to just give them everything without even a chance.

5. Lycurgus

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Exactly. I think what many misunderstand is, it is about being prepared and it is about safety. Not just for us or our families, but, for anyone who may need protection. The highest rate police force in the nation most of the time can only take reports and clean up the mess. The first line of personal defense in this nation is the citizen and the last line of national defense is the citizen.

Because a person owns and carries a firearm does not mean that they are prepared. Being prepared comes with the ability to (as Gunny stated) properly deploy and use the weapon and the mental conditioning and training to do so. A person can be a great shot, very competent on the shooting range, but, still not be properly prepared to handle a live fire confrontation.

So responsible firearm ownership bring with it some very serious understanding and training. I know many people who own a gun, carry a gun, but, may only get out to a range once per year and who have never been on a live fire combat range or a move active range.

My wife is a heck of a shot on a stationary range, but, she doesn't score so good on a active range. She simply does not have the time to practice on a range like that. However, her mental preparedness is solid, so we make up for the other by the type of weapons she carry or have available to her in the home.

I'll stop now, I enjoy this subject too much.

6. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
  7. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Folks, anybody can kill anybody in this nation IF:

1. they have the will to do so
    2. they plan carefully
    3. they don't care what happens to them after they kill.

Now your guns might be of some value in protecting your home from criminals who are seeking to steal from you.

But if somebody sets out to kill you, and isn't so stupid as to warn you first?

You're dead.

8. Lycurgus

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258

Well of course. And they don't need a gun to do it.

However, simply because they are intent on that end result, doesn't mean that they will succeed, nor does it make it a given that you can't protect yourself and stop the person. In other words, it is not an absolute.

9. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Well of course not.

My point is merely that merely owning guns won't protect you from assassins OR from an oppressive government.

Had I had guns a few months ago when the gestapo illegally entered my home, it wouldn't have helped me one bit.

All my neighbors have guns and all their guns didn't protect me from that insult of my civil right to privacy, either.

My objection is not to guns but to the delusion that they keep us free from crime OR criminal goverments.

10. Agnapostate

Agnapostate BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +344
    I would agree with G. Gordon Liddy's advice on federal agents entering one's home. If they enter lawfully with a search warrant, it's your duty to permit them to search your home. If they come in shooting, you can either kill or be killed.