d o you feel safe with a gun

Svante

cybernetic organism
Dec 11, 2008
Ragnarök
m y family have collectiion o f Lahti. the Lahti are like the glock and m y dad say this will protect the family. he like the guns made i n Finland becuase there are made o f better materiele and controle very good. he say the guns made i n Sweden are peace o f junk.

m y family have collectiion o f Lahti. the Lahti are like the glock and m y dad say this will protect the family. he like the guns made i n Finland becuase there are made o f better materiele and controle very good. he say the guns made i n Sweden are peace o f junk.

They still make Lahti's? A firearm provides a modicum of personal security. Feeling safe though is relevant to one's position. The gun itself does not provide safety. One's ability to employ it does.

In addition to Gunny's comments, which I agree with. I feel safe period. But, I realize that I may not always be safe. I do not let fear rule my life, but, I stay in reality understanding what is around me. The firearm helps make me prepared.

In addition to Gunny's comments, which I agree with. I feel safe period. But, I realize that I may not always be safe. I do not let fear rule my life, but, I stay in reality understanding what is around me. The firearm helps make me prepared.

No reason to not be prepared. Criminals in this country carry firearms. That's a fact. They already have the advantage of firepower and surprise. No reason to just give them everything without even a chance.

Exactly. I think what many misunderstand is, it is about being prepared and it is about safety. Not just for us or our families, but, for anyone who may need protection. The highest rate police force in the nation most of the time can only take reports and clean up the mess. The first line of personal defense in this nation is the citizen and the last line of national defense is the citizen.

Because a person owns and carries a firearm does not mean that they are prepared. Being prepared comes with the ability to (as Gunny stated) properly deploy and use the weapon and the mental conditioning and training to do so. A person can be a great shot, very competent on the shooting range, but, still not be properly prepared to handle a live fire confrontation.

So responsible firearm ownership bring with it some very serious understanding and training. I know many people who own a gun, carry a gun, but, may only get out to a range once per year and who have never been on a live fire combat range or a move active range.

My wife is a heck of a shot on a stationary range, but, she doesn't score so good on a active range. She simply does not have the time to practice on a range like that. However, her mental preparedness is solid, so we make up for the other by the type of weapons she carry or have available to her in the home.

I'll stop now, I enjoy this subject too much.

Folks, anybody can kill anybody in this nation IF:

1. they have the will to do so
2. they plan carefully
3. they don't care what happens to them after they kill.

Now your guns might be of some value in protecting your home from criminals who are seeking to steal from you.

But if somebody sets out to kill you, and isn't so stupid as to warn you first?

You're dead.

Folks, anybody can kill anybody in this nation IF:

1. they have the will to do so
2. they plan carefully
3. they don't care what happens to them after they kill.

Now your guns might be of some value in protecting your home from criminals who are seeking to steal from you.

But if somebody sets out to kill you, and isn't so stupid as to warn you first?

You're dead.

Well of course. And they don't need a gun to do it.

However, simply because they are intent on that end result, doesn't mean that they will succeed, nor does it make it a given that you can't protect yourself and stop the person. In other words, it is not an absolute.

Well of course. And they don't need a gun to do it.

However, simply because they are intent on that end result, doesn't mean that they will succeed, nor does it make it a given that you can't protect yourself and stop the person. In other words, it is not an absolute.

Well of course not.

My point is merely that merely owning guns won't protect you from assassins OR from an oppressive government.

Had I had guns a few months ago when the gestapo illegally entered my home, it wouldn't have helped me one bit.

All my neighbors have guns and all their guns didn't protect me from that insult of my civil right to privacy, either.

My objection is not to guns but to the delusion that they keep us free from crime OR criminal goverments.

I would agree with G. Gordon Liddy's advice on federal agents entering one's home. If they enter lawfully with a search warrant, it's your duty to permit them to search your home. If they come in shooting, you can either kill or be killed.

I would agree with G. Gordon Liddy's advice on federal agents entering one's home. If they enter lawfully with a search warrant, it's your duty to permit them to search your home. If they come in shooting, you can either kill or be killed.

Pure braggadacio.

I note he's managed to live to fight another day.

I think he's a faker and an idiot like most of the boastful asses of his ilk.

Last edited:
I feel perfectly safe with guns.

I feel less safe when others are handling guns, especially if I don't know them. I hate bird hunting because of this...it's always a group of people, some you don't know, and it's exceedingly stressful.

I don't keep guns in my home at this point because I have a 5 and 6 year old who can't be trusted and I don't have a gun safe at this point ( I did for years to keep my teen aged boys from messing with the guns unless I unlocked it for them).

But yes, I feel safe around guns for the most part.

Probably.

That doesn't change the veracity of the advice.

It's stupid advice, in my opinion.

Get yourself killed by the cops for what purpose?

To make a point?

Better to live long enough to make the other guy suffer for his principles.

You got to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.

I don't keep guns in my home at this point because I have a 5 and 6 year old who can't be trusted and I don't have a gun safe at this point ( I did for years to keep my teen aged boys from messing with the guns unless I unlocked it for them).

But yes, I feel safe around guns for the most part.

How do you know your 5 and 6 year olds can't handle guns responsibly?

This is what Jean Liedloff had to say about the weapon mastery of young children in this indigenous society in her book, The Continuum Concept.

"The boys, from the age of about 18 months, practiced archery with sharp arrows, some enthusiasts carrying their bow and arrows about most of their waking hours, Shooting was not confined to designated places, nor were any 'safety rules' in effect. In my two and a half years there, I saw only one arrow wound."

For what reason can a similar approach not be adopted in our own society? I also think it might help reduce the physical abuse of children. I don't know whether the physical abuse of children has increased in recent times, though I do believe that teaching children self-defense techniques and weapon mastery early in life can contribute to their ability to resist physical punishment. As a colleague of mine said, "A father might not be so willing to strike his eight year old son when said eight year old can pick a two-by-four off the ground and smash his head open with it."

It's stupid advice, in my opinion.

Get yourself killed by the cops for what purpose?

To make a point?

Better to live long enough to make the other guy suffer for his principles.

You got to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.

I don't think you understood the advice. Of course you shouldn't shoot at anyone if they lawfully enter the house. You should shoot at them if they come in shooting. I never understood why those remarks were so controversial; that always seemed very obvious to me.

I don't think you understood the advice. Of course you shouldn't shoot at anyone if they lawfully enter the house. You should shoot at them if they come in shooting. I never understood why those remarks were so controversial; that always seemed very obvious to me.

I have had multiple encounters with law enforcement where not only have I been armed, but, my firearm was removed from it's holster and drawn.

Not once did I feel threatened. They were professional, I acted responsibly. They respected my rights, but, they did their job, I followed directions and respected the situation they found themselves in. When each situation was sorted out my firearm was always returned to me and if the other party was in condition to receive them, charges were filed on them and they were taken into custody.

When the ATF raided my business, they did not have a warrant giving them access to my office, my safe and my daily receipts. However they demanded access, I denied it. I told them, with my lawyer on the phone, if they force me to let them enter the office, then I will consider it robbery and someone will die. At that time attached to the bottom of the safe cash drawer was a double action .45 I never argue, if someone wants all the cash I hand it to them!

They never gained access to my office. Now, I was in my business where there were other people watching. Clearly that shifted the advantage to me and I knew it.

Clearly owning and carrying a firearm cannot protect a person against every possible type of threat. But, for me, it provides me the ability to be prepared for the vast majority of them. Further, I simply will not lead my life in fear, armed or not. I go where I wish, when I wish. I use common sense and I take great notice of what is around me. Not just bad people, but, my surroundings in general. My options.

Anyone who truly understands the finality of discharging a firearm, are the people I trust the most. They will do all they can to not take life, but, if needed, they will be prepared to protect themselves and me.

Life is an adventure, enjoy it and when a varmint crosses your path, plink at them a little!

How do you know your 5 and 6 year olds can't handle guns responsibly?

This is what Jean Liedloff had to say about the weapon mastery of young children in this indigenous society in her book, The Continuum Concept.

"The boys, from the age of about 18 months, practiced archery with sharp arrows, some enthusiasts carrying their bow and arrows about most of their waking hours, Shooting was not confined to designated places, nor were any 'safety rules' in effect. In my two and a half years there, I saw only one arrow wound."

For what reason can a similar approach not be adopted in our own society? I also think it might help reduce the physical abuse of children. I don't know whether the physical abuse of children has increased in recent times, though I do believe that teaching children self-defense techniques and weapon mastery early in life can contribute to their ability to resist physical punishment. As a colleague of mine said, "A father might not be so willing to strike his eight year old son when said eight year old can pick a two-by-four off the ground and smash his head open with it."

If I remember correctly my son was 7 when he got his first BB gun. He was 9 when I purchased him his first .22 hunting rifle. Now at 11 he is permitted to shoot certain handguns but only with me at the range. He has a nice little collection of air rifles which are fairly powerful. He has killed varmints with them and he is permitted to take those out and plink whenever he wishes.

I would imagine if we had a intruder in the home, if something happened and if fell to my son to defend himself, I feel confident that he could. I have less fear of that, than letting him ride his quad down the street or back in the fields.

Forum List

Back