D-Day for Gun Control

I wouldn't trust Dick "Toe Sucker" Morris to tell me whether it was day or night.

Wait is a liberal mocking a fetish? Are you saying somethings are possibly weird and not cool? Liberals are hypocritical on just about everything

Sen. Lautenburg of NJ leadin' the way on ammo control...
:clap2:
N.J. senator pushes gun-control bill after Colo. shootings
23 July`12 WASHINGTON – As the nation searches for answers after last week's horrific shootings in Colorado, Democratic Sen. Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey is pushing a proposed solution: legislation banning the sale of high-capacity ammunition clips.
Lautenberg, one of the most vocal gun-control advocates in Congress, is working to draw attention to his bill this week, his office said Monday. He introduced the proposal last year after the Tucson, Ariz., shooting spree that wounded Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz. The bill would ban the sale of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. "We have to face the reality that these types of tragedies will continue to occur unless we do something about our nation's lax gun laws," Lautenberg said. James Holmes, the 24-year-old suspect in the early Friday shootings at a movie theater in Aurora, Colo., carried three weapons — a Remington shotgun, a Smith & Wesson M&P assault rifle and a Glock .40-caliber handgun, according to police. The shootings killed 12 people and wounded 58.

The assault rifle can fire 50 to 60 rounds per minute and is designed to hold a high-capacity clip. Holmes allegedly used a 100-round drum magazine. "No sportsman needs 100 rounds to shoot a duck, but allowing high-capacity magazines in the hands of killers … puts law enforcement at a disadvantage and innocent lives at risk," Lautenberg said. Congress banned the sale of high-capacity ammunition clips in 1994, but the law lapsed in 2004. Lautenberg's bill would reinstate the ban.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., another gun-control supporter, echoed Lautenberg's call for an assault weapons ban. "This is a powerful weapon. It had a 100-round drum," she said on Fox News Sunday. "His purpose was to kill as many people as he could in a sold-out theater. We've got to really sit down and come to grips with what is sold to the average citizen in America." But Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., said banning high-capacity magazines would infringe on Americans' constitutional rights. "There are 30-round magazines that are just common," he said on Fox News Sunday. "You simply can't keep these weapons out of the hands of sick, demented individuals who want to do harm. And when you try to do it you restrict our freedoms."

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie went further, telling reporters at a news conference Monday morning that now is not the time for a discussion of gun control. "I'm not going to get into the gun control discussion while these people are waiting to get buried. It might not offend you or bother you, but it offends me and bothers me," he said. Christie didn't name names, but he went on to blast lawmakers who are calling for gun-control measures in the wake of the shooting. "I am a little bit disturbed by politicians who in the immediate aftermath of this type of tragedy, try to grandstand on it," Christie said. "Can we at least get through the initial grief and tragedy for these families?"

Lautenberg also is pushing measures to prevent firearms and explosives from being sold to terrorists and to close a legal loophole that allows gun buyers to avoid background checks when purchasing firearms at gun shows. "Far too many American families have felt the horror of gun violence," Lautenberg said. "Our hearts are still heavy with sadness after the tragedy in Colorado, but we need to start today on efforts to prevent the next attack." Passage of any gun-control measures is not likely. President Obama and leaders of both parties have stayed away from the issue following other shootings, such as the one involving Giffords. In the wake of the Colorado shootings, Obama has said that aggressively enforcing existing gun laws is better than putting new laws in place.

Source

Forum List

Back