Cults....

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by USAMomma, Apr 14, 2011.

1. USAMomma

USAMomma Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Who would run a cult?
    How are these cult groups started?

Those with "Charisma" AKA sociopathic types: those with the ability to pursue people into being a part of something based upon false and misleading information and outright lies...Groups such as the one David Koresh ran. People like he who made his followers believe he was God.

I read a bit of this story this morning and it got me to thinking back to some of my college studies into Criminal Law classes.

18 years after Waco, Davidians believe Koresh was God

The report reads, in parts....

"Waco, Texas (CNN) -- Sheila Martin's children burned alive. God, she says, wanted it that way."
    ~~~~~~
    A bit more,
    "Branch Davidians believe that when people die, they are simply "unconscious," waiting to be resurrected so they can travel to a kingdom cut off to nonbelievers.
    Lisa, 13; Sheila,15; Anita,18; Wayne Jr., 20; and Wayne Sr. -- they are just unconscious. They are just waiting.
    David Koresh told his followers years before the men in uniforms arrived that a great apocalyptic battle with Babylon was coming and there would be destruction and fire and deaths.
    So, Martin says, David was right. "David is the messiah, and he's coming back," she explains, inspecting a bush that's beginning to produce sweet peppers.
    "Now we just wait for the kingdom."
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ""What am I going to do, argue with everyone?" Doyle says. "When people ask why we still believe in David and what he preached, after everything, I think they are asking because they really do want to understand. What gets lost --- what got lost years ago and resulted in the deaths of many people -- is that none of us were looking to convert the masses. If you joined us, then fine, but if you didn't, then go on with your life.
    "You don't have to believe as I do."
    Doyle sits in his cluttered living room, detective paperbacks, tomes on theology and Laurel & Hardy videos crammed on bookshelves. The only item that has room to breathe is a photograph of his 18-year-old daughter, Shari.
    She was one of Koresh's "wives."
    In the photo, Shari is flaxen haired, flushed and smiling, hugging the family dog.
    That Koresh bedded his daughter makes Doyle shift in his seat, and when he speaks of it, his jaw tightens.
    Doyle says his daughter started having sex with Koresh when she was 14. Koresh fathered at least 13 children with sect followers and engaged in sexual acts with underage Davidian girls, according to the Justice Department, numerous affidavits of Davidians and interviews CNN conducted with survivors. "

You can read the entire report here:
    18 years after Waco, Davidians believe Koresh was God - CNN.com

So, why would anyone allow such an individual to gain power over them; such power that they would allow their underage daughter to be raped by him?

Yeah, hard to understand...

2. Marie888

Marie888 † † †

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +215
    I'd say anyone basically claiming to be "God" themselves would run the risk of starting a cult. Or perhaps (possibly, not always) if they deny the deity of Jesus Christ.

As for the people who follow someone who starts a cult; my belief is that they are still lost. If they listened to Jesus Christ and knew Him; He said He is the way the truth and the life. He is the propitiation for our sins, and the whole world. Him alone.

Anyone who reads what the Lord Jesus Christ said, but then follows a person instead, well, really isn't listening Him and/or believing what He said and Who He is.

Could also be comparable to what Satan thinks. (below verses) Who thinks he knows better than God, and who thinks he will exalt himself above God. The good news is, he cannot. God is God, he is not. Neither are we.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  3. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    Christianity is a cult

just a big well organized one

4. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    cult
    - 5 dictionary results
    cult
       [kuhlt] Show IPA
    –noun
    a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
    an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
    the object of such devotion.
    a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
    Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.
    a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.
    the members of such a religion or sect.
    any system for treating human sickness that originated by a person usually claiming to have sole insight into the nature of disease, and that employs methods regarded as unorthodox or unscientific.

Cult | Define Cult at Dictionary.com

All religions are cults

5. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    Mind control is a powerful thing, David Koresh managed to convince these people to quit their jobs, sell their homes and give the cash to him, take their cars, and let him basically fuck their wives and daughters. Koresh was very good at manipulating these people, he did such an excellent job that even though he is dead, these people still sing his praises and think everything he did was right. I didnt even know the Branch Dividians were still around.

6. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,826

They're all cults. The only difference is their membership size.

7. Marie888

Marie888 † † †

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +215
  8. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    After reading the article I think these families feel they have to believe Koresh is God because they lost so much because of him, if they admit Koresh was wrong they lost so much for nothing. They feel they need to stay the course.

9. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,165
    Big, yeah.

Well organized?? I don't know about that one.

10. Gadawg73

Gadawg73 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,677
    My wife says football is a cult.