Cuba’s looming monetary reform sparks confusion, inflation fears

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
A major monetary reform that will hike prices and state wages in Cuba on Friday is sparking widespread uncertainty as the Communist-run island resumes market-oriented changes to its Soviet-style economy after years of flip-flopping.

The reform, announced earlier this month by President Miguel Diaz-Canel, will eliminate a complex dual currency and multiple exchange-rate system that masked a host of government subsidies, pegging the remaining peso currency at a single rate.

To reflect the resulting steep devaluation and reduced subsidies, Cuba is raising prices on goods and services ranging from transport to electricity at varying rates. It will also quintuple pensions and wages in the state sector, which employs around two-thirds of the working population, from the current low rates to better reflect the real value of labour.

This is going to be interesting to watch. I wonder if there was significant panic buying of toilet paper.

A major monetary reform that will hike prices and state wages in Cuba on Friday is sparking widespread uncertainty as the Communist-run island resumes market-oriented changes to its Soviet-style economy after years of flip-flopping.

The reform, announced earlier this month by President Miguel Diaz-Canel, will eliminate a complex dual currency and multiple exchange-rate system that masked a host of government subsidies, pegging the remaining peso currency at a single rate.

To reflect the resulting steep devaluation and reduced subsidies, Cuba is raising prices on goods and services ranging from transport to electricity at varying rates. It will also quintuple pensions and wages in the state sector, which employs around two-thirds of the working population, from the current low rates to better reflect the real value of labour.

This is going to be interesting to watch. I wonder if there was significant panic buying of toilet paper.

It will also quintuple pensions and wages in the state sector, which employs around two-thirds of the working population, from the current low rates to better reflect the real value of labour.

Commies couldn't figure out the real value? I thought that was their purpose?

I wonder if there was significant panic buying of toilet paper.

What toilet paper?

The kind they don't keep in the public restrooms or flush down the toilets.

My Friend slashed his hand on his boat near Cuba, went to their Emergency Hospital & got it stitched up for only $8. Here in the USA it cost $3,000

Forum List

Back