Crosby, Texas, Chemical Plant Explodes Twice, Arkema Group Says

Windparadox

Gold Member
May 3, 2017
Northern WI.
`
A flooded chemical plant near Houston exploded twice early Thursday, sending a plume of smoke into the air and triggering a fire that the firm plans to let "burn itself out."
Arkema Group, which is one of the world's largest chemical companies, had warned Wednesday that the plant would catch fire and explode at some point — adding there was nothing that could be done about it.
The plant in Crosby, Texas — about 20 miles northeast of Houston — was inundated by more than 40 inches of rain by Hurricane Harvey and has been without electricity since Sunday. - Source: https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hurricane-harvey/harvey-danger-major-chemical-plant-near-houston-likely-explode-facility-n797581

`
`

Things have gone from bad to worse for the battered residents of Texas. I hope no one gets affected by this.

I thought the area around the plant had been evacuated. How were there injuries?

As I understand it the chemicals they're making are peroxides and they required refrigeration to remain stable. Power went out, fridges heated up, and there wasn't much anyone could do about it. It seems that it'll burn out rapidly and not cause any lasting issues.

As for the injuries it seems there was some pranking going on as someone posted a "notice" on some media site but it turns out that was fake - maybe the supposed evacuation was part of that misinformation?

I thought the area around the plant had been evacuated. How were there injuries?

Yes,
Evacuations with in 3 km

Residents of Harris County, Texas, living within a 3-kilometer radius of the chemical plant, were evacuated "as a precaution" because of the risk of fire or explosion, local authorities and officials Arkema.

Forum List

Back