Criticism of PA Grand Jury Report on RCC Sex Abuse

One of the bigotries that thrives in U.S. society today is bigotry against Bible-following Christians in general, and bigotry against the Roman Catholic Church, in particular.

This grand jury report was nothing short of a "hit piece" against the Catholic Church in Pennsylvania. It covered decades of real and imaginary behavior that was far outside the purview of any court proceeding (as it dealt with conduct well outside the relevant statutes of limitation), and slandered people long dead and no longer associated with the Church. It elevated uncorroborated rumors to the level of apparent "facts," and ruined the lives of scores of innocent priests and religious.

It was intended to give the false impression of rampant criminality when the actual numbers reveal conduct that was microscopic in its scope. Three thousand victims over 70+ years, and an overall Catholic population well over ten million souls. Indeed, I have been a Catholic for 69 years - 12 years of Catholic education - and never encountered a single accused priest or brother, or known any victim to this date. The worst I've been able to confirm is that one of my former parish priests was accused (without corroboration) of kissing a woman ON THE LIPS! How did this make it into the Grand Jury report? Even if true, it was a nothing.

The responsible official - Pennsylvania's Attorney General - will use this report as a springboard to his campaign for governor in 4 years. A pox be upon him.

One pitiful part of this whole episode is that no one is in a position to call out the Attorney General for his slanders and misrepresentations; it would seem like the complainer was defending pedophilia.

Forum List

Back