Crap I hate this Xfinity Comcast Modem upgrade

Eaglewings

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area
It is a upgrade for faster streaming

I got the high speed modem upgrade about 3 months ago..I have had 3 comcast tech guys come to try and fix my internet continued drop over and over all day long. Seems to be a common problem searching for answers today.
Before this upgrade everything was working fine.

Not only am I getting kicked off it is making my mouse curser jump all over the place..

Tech guy also said that my 4 year old computer is not compatible , but it happens to all of our computers in the house

What we are suppose to buy a new computer for this damn upgrade?

Horrible!

Some say those wifi hotspots they offer customers mooch off your connection thus bandwidth when using their modems.
I know when I used them their modem constantly had strange phones connecting to my password protected connection, similar to the open wifi they "might" be using their modems to open connections to their phone users at the expense of your bandwidth a d privacy. Best to use your own modem because their modem fees are throwing money away after 1 year your own can be paid for.
Comcast high speed means nothing if the speed of the sites you connect to are set to load at slower restricted speeds.

Some say those wifi hotspots they offer customers mooch off your connection thus bandwidth when using their modems.
I know when I used them their modem constantly had strange phones connecting to my password protected connection, similar to the open wifi they "might" be using their modems to open connections to their phone users at the expense of your bandwidth a d privacy. Best to use your own modem because their modem fees are throwing money away after 1 year your own can be paid for.
Comcast high speed means nothing if the speed of the sites you connect to are set to load at slower restricted speeds.

Excellent info Hashev, thank you.... ? Will my own modem stop the internet dropping?

I found this info and will look into it.

Solved: Comcast Compatible Modems and Buying My Own - Xfinity Help and Support Forums

The best and fastest connection is being hardwired into your modem.
Helps if your modem is at your computer to just plug in an ethernet direct connection to the modem instead of using the wifi signal.
No drop offs from microwaves being used.
Also remember the speed claims are in mega- bits not bytes and are "Up to"
speeds and so they are divided by 8 because each megabit(mb) = 1/8 a Megabyte(MB) that your download progress bar is in MegaBytes(MB) per second while speed ads by companies are mbps=mega bits per second.
So Comcast 25 mbps=usually max around 3 Mega Bytes speed showing on your downloads but usually 1-2 MB because of time of day and or web sites.
4g speed data used to give you 2-3 MB speed, but companies have lowered it to accommodate more clients and you are lucky to get 1MB.
If you have comcast promising 50mbps speed, then your downloads should
read around 6.4 MB.
If your downloads error out a lot you might need a stay alive and connected add on for your browser and or a download program to stay alive and retry and or save for restart. or
You might just have the wrong settings for your connection in which case a free "iobit"
tool like "Advanced SystemCare 10" will allow you to find errors in your connection settings and correct them with fastest web page speeds and it should solve your connection problems probably caused by wrong range number settings.

Last edited:

Excellent info Hashev, thank you.... ? Will my own modem stop the internet dropping?

Solved: Comcast Compatible Modems and Buying My Own - Xfinity Help and Support Forums

I just downgraded from 200 to 100 Mbps with no change in the speed I was using saving me money and I just picked an Arris SBG6900-AC replacing my Comcast modem for $80 on sale. A lot of people report the 6900 constantly drops wifi signal (something Arris is supposedly infamous for) but I haven't seen that in mine.
If you have the money you might want to go with the Arris ‑ SURFboard AC1900 Dual‑Band Router with Docsis 3, massive positive reviews, super fast and it is certified Comcast compatible.

I just downgraded from 200 to 100 Mbps with no change in the speed I was using saving me money and I just picked an Arris SBG6900-AC replacing my Comcast modem for $80 on sale. A lot of people report the 6900 constantly drops wifi signal (something Arris is supposedly infamous for) but I haven't seen that in mine.
If you have the money you might want to go with the Arris ‑ SURFboard AC1900 Dual‑Band Router with Docsis 3, massive positive reviews, super fast and it is certified Comcast compatible.

Thanks so much Ringel for your input I really appreciate it.

The best and fastest connection is being hardwired into your modem.
Helps if your modem is at your computer to just plug in an ethernet direct connection to the modem instead of using the wifi signal.
No drop offs from microwaves being used.
Also remember the speed claims are in mega- bits not bytes and are "Up to"
speeds and so they are divided by 8 because each megabit(mb) = 1/8 a Megabyte(MB) that your download progress bar is in MegaBytes(MB) per second while speed ads by companies are mbps=mega bits per second.
So Comcast 25 mbps=usually max around 3 Mega Bytes speed showing on your downloads but usually 1-2 MB because of time of day and or web sites.
4g speed data used to give you 2-3 MB speed, but companies have lowered it to accommodate more clients and you are lucky to get 1MB.
If you have comcast promising 50mbps speed, then your downloads should
read around 6.4 MB.
If your downloads error out a lot you might need a stay alive and connected add on for your browser and or a download program to stay alive and retry and or save for restart. or
You might just have the wrong settings for your connection in which case a free "iobit"
tool like "Advanced SystemCare 10" will allow you to find errors in your connection settings and correct them with fastest web page speeds and it should solve your connection problems probably caused by wrong range number settings.

"Advanced SystemCare 10 :) I will look into this right away..

Thank you~

A few things....

1) Try shutting off your public hot spot...login to xfinity, go to the settings/security and choose to turn off public wifi.
2) It is bullsh*t that your computer is to old. It doesn't work that way. Computers have been using TCP/IP over DHCP via a provider since the late 90's. Only way your computer would be too old is if you are using Windows 3.1 which used SPX/IPX. Whether it is a MAC, PC or Linux...all use the same method to use the internet. Nothing has changed (except speed) for years.
3) Internet providers have been use fraudulent advertising for years, and no one does one thing about it. Never believe for a second the speed they tell you. You won't get close to that. Unless you are hosting webservers, running 10 Xboxs at the same time you will never need beyond their medium speed choice. Buying the "Best" speed is all horse sh*t.
4) Buy your own modem. You will not only get less problems, but better speed. Xfinity's modems notoriously drop connections on the 5 Ghz side...many people are connecting via the 2.4 ghz side and have no idea they are...paying for speed they never use.

A few things....

1) Try shutting off your public hot spot...login to xfinity, go to the settings/security and choose to turn off public wifi.
2) It is bullsh*t that your computer is to old. It doesn't work that way. Computers have been using TCP/IP over DHCP via a provider since the late 90's. Only way your computer would be too old is if you are using Windows 3.1 which used SPX/IPX. Whether it is a MAC, PC or Linux...all use the same method to use the internet. Nothing has changed (except speed) for years.
3) Internet providers have been use fraudulent advertising for years, and no one does one thing about it. Never believe for a second the speed they tell you. You won't get close to that. Unless you are hosting webservers, running 10 Xboxs at the same time you will never need beyond their medium speed choice. Buying the "Best" speed is all horse sh*t.
4) Buy your own modem. You will not only get less problems, but better speed. Xfinity's modems notoriously drop connections on the 5 Ghz side...many people are connecting via the 2.4 ghz side and have no idea they are...paying for speed they never use.

THANK YOU~ IT WORKED this is exactly what it was
I didn't see your post until now sorry... We had 3 tech guys in the last 4 months come here and never mention this.

I really really appreciate all of the help everyone

thankyoukitty.gif~c200

A few things....

THANK YOU~ IT WORKED this is exactly what it was
I didn't see your post until now sorry... We had 3 tech guys in the last 4 months come here and never mention this.

I really really appreciate all of the help everyone

thankyoukitty.gif~c200

That'll be $79.95

Forum List

Back