Court to hear case on Guantanamo detainees

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by acludem, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I hope these people get their fair day in court.

acludem
    ===================================

Landmark habeas corpus case
    Supreme Court to hear from Guantanamo detainees

Joe Raedle / Getty Images
    Army officers walk through a cellblock where detainees from the war in Afghanistan are held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
    By Tom Curry
    National affairs writer
    MSNBC
    Updated: 5:57 p.m. ET April 19, 2004WASHINGTON - The writ of habeas corpus allows U.S. citizens being held in jail to go before a judge to challenge their imprisonment. In a historic argument to be heard by the Supreme Court on Tuesday, detainees captured in Afghanistan and now imprisoned at the U.S. Naval Base in Guantanamo Bay in Cuba are asserting the same right to challenge their detention.

Lawyers for the detainees say they are being held in a case of mistaken identity and should be granted habeas corpus so they can go before a judge who could order their release.

“The four Petitioners have never been enemy aliens or unlawful combatants,” according to the brief for Pakistani citizen Shafiq Rasul and three other detainees.

“The four Petitioners had no involvement, direct or indirect, in any terrorist act, including the attacks of September 11, 2001. They maintain … that they are innocent of wrongdoing, and the United States has never presented evidence to the contrary,” said the brief.

The Guantanamo detainees, it said, “have been cast into a legal limbo, held … without charges, without recourse to any legal process, and with no opportunity to establish their innocence.”

The Supreme Court will not address the question of whether the detainees are al-Qaida or Taliban members.
    ===============================
    The rest is at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4779743/

2. nycflasher

nycflasher Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Which brings us back to the Patriot Act.

I'm all for locking up terrorists and throwing away the key.
    But if there is some innocent student down in Guantanamo just because of his citizenship...

Well, it will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

There is a great saying by MLK, Jr. that has often guided me through difficult times. It goes: "The true measure of a man is not where he stands in times of comfort, but where he stands in times of distress and discomfort.

Likewise, America stands now in judgement by the whole world.
    This is why the Patriot Act scares me most. At a time when we are most afraid, we are also most vulnerable.

I think there is great significance in this case and I'll be curious to hear what goes down.

3. SPIKESMYGOD

SPIKESMYGOD Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Upon seeing Shep Smith[FOX] take a step back from the morally & legally correct stance, I sent him this PING:

Hey, Shep! Is it just me or are you starting to look a little "pink?"

Dear Shep,

Before you & Lise could even SAY "Japanese internment camps," I said, "I swear to Joss they had better not compare this to Japane"....Then, you guys said it!

The internment camps housed rounded-up INNOCENT AMERICAN CIVILIANS. These rat bastards at Gitmo are either terrorists who tried to kill our soldiers or collaborators. The two, in fact, are COMPLETE opposites.

I love you & FOX- in a manly, non-Angel way- but please don't start pinking out on us, ok? You now have the correct 411, so be sure not to make this erroneous comparison, again, ok? Thanks!

btw- You DO KNOW that Jane has a major crush on you, right?

The Bastard Son of Newt Gingrich & Expert on the Jossverse,

SPIKESMYGOD

4. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    How the hell would you know they are either/or? Is it my mistaken belief that they have let go almost a hundred from gitmo and flown them back to their home nations because they FINALLY decided they WEREN'T either/or.

Back in 1943, those thousands of Japanese American citizens were rounded up because it was thought that THEY TOO, were collaborators.

Stop jumping to conclusions and let the court system do its job instead of hiding behind the 'national security' motto. It fucks you up more than it helps you.

5. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    If the four in question are not US citizens, and were fighting for the Taliban/al-Qaeda, they sure as hell don't deserve any Constitutional protections.

And before you jump on me for being a "neo-con," I fully supported Jose Padilla's quest for a trial. He is a US citizen, terrorist supporter or not. These others are not US citizens and do not deserve the protections our Constitution provides.

6. SPIKESMYGOD

SPIKESMYGOD Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46
    DK-

You just never get enough, do ya?

Yes, I am a LITTLE disturbed by the lack of trials, but I have confidence in our military to decide who was shooting at them or collaborating with the shooters, though I know you believe that they, our soldiers, are all baby-killing, trigger-happy, sadistic thugs......but I'm sure that your lot "supports our troops."

Look, if you are so worried about these scumbags' rights, go over to fuc&ing Iraq's sunni triangle or up in the hills of Afghanistan with the remaining members of Al Qaeda, fly an American flag, & try to make some friends.

Oh, wait! You would probably BURN the flag, so you, in fact, might just fit right in with them.

7. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    One - You're a fucking moron.

Two - You have no fucking clue about a goddamn thing

Three - I was a US Marine for 6 years, what the fuck did your dumbass do for this country?

Four - shut your fucking mouth about shit you don't know about.

It's morons like you, who THINK they know everything, but in reality don't have a clue because you've been spoonfed shit from day one.

You refuse to learn from history, you're doomed to repeat the failures of the past. Until you can open your mind and use it to actually THINK, instead of just regurgitate vomitous bullshit you've heard from rush limbaug, shut your fucking mouth.

8. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    What's the difference between one and two?

9. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    :laugh:

10. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Since I don't get enough I'll say some more.

Then fucking DO something about it you lazy ass shit!! Don't just 'let it slide' because, in case you've forgotten HISTORY again, we did this shit TWICE before and fucked it up both times because assholes like you think its ok to just fuck shit up in the name of national security and trusting government entities.

why is it that you can't trust your government to spend your money better than you do, but are willing to blindly trust them on military issues? are you that fucking dense?

I concern myself with EVERYONES rights, including yours (shit for brains), whether you think they deserve them or not. Since you wish to forget the past, let me remind your stupid ass that violating human rights is a national pasttime for our country when it comes to non-americans or non-american looking people but you're happy as a pig in shit to just say 'sorry, we'll do better next time' and expect god and the world to just be satisfied with that. Get over yourself, you're not as righteous as you think you are, boy.

God I hate fuckheads who have no intelligence

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.